Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another reason the Dolphins will NEVER move to LA

1. -1
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Another reason the Dolphins will NEVER move to LA

The fight over workers comp reform for pro athletes isn't new. It has taken place in Florida, Arizona and Louisiana, to name a few states. The battle in California is significant, however, because it's often regarded as the state of last resort, meaning out-of-state players who weren't informed of their workers comp rights by their teams -- or who had physical or cognitive issues surface after the statute of limitation lapsed in their home states -- could have their cases heard in California, one of only nine states that recognizes what's known as "cumulative trauma," wear-and-tear injuries or conditions sustained from their jobs.

Proponents contend that AB 1309 would close the "loophole" that allows active and retired athletes to "double-dip" by filing claims in both their home state and California, sometimes without ever having actually played in California. Opponents counter that the bill would retroactively wipe out hundreds, if not thousands, of pending cases and deny medical care to athletes who paid into the system during their careers.

The issue is particularly acute among California team owners, whose workers comp costs sometimes are two-thirds higher than their out-of-state colleagues. Local NFL owners contend the discrepancy puts them at a competitive disadvantage because they're left with less revenue for expenses like coach and player salaries, facility upgrades and team travel.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl.../?sct=uk_t2_a4

The prospect of the Dolphins moving to LA is very silly thing to be worried about for any number of reasons, but here's another.

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Good post. This is the sort of practical, grounded point people need to look for when coming up with their opinion on this issue(assuming people havent already made up their mind before looking for information).

Its not as simply as hauling ass out of town. Theres a lot of factors to consider. Almost all of those factors work against the Dolphins in this situation.
    "Ignorance is not an excuse" were the words Goodell used when describing why those involved in the Saints bounty scandal would not avoid punishment.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ons-unanswered
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Lets get those balls deep!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    the world
    Thanks / No Thanks
    yeah I've been tryingto think of a city that would fit and I'm just not sure. but def not la. if they move there I'm rootin for my hometeam the bungles.
    "hey atleast I'm housebroken!"
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by maralieus View Post
    yeah I've been tryingto think of a city that would fit and I'm just not sure. but def not la. if they move there I'm rootin for my hometeam the bungles.
    in reality there are no alot of cities that are wanting to take an established team esp with all the extra stuff that needs to be done.
    La is perfect for Raiders though.
    When death smiles upon you, the Infantry man smiles back. WV says Im not a patriot and Jeff Ireland is a Boss so it must be true.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by maralieus View Post
    Chargers are the likeliest, imo. Old Jack Murphy stadium is one of the worst in the country, they're the closest in distance to LA and actually used to be in LA in their earliest days.

The Dolphins aren't going anywhere, certainly not cross country to a state with exorbitant taxes and prohibitive workman's comp costs. And that's just why the next owner wouldn't give a thought to moving the team. As I've stated in more than one thread, the other owners aren't going to approve of the sale of the team to someone who's interested in moving, either.

It's senseless. It's paranoia. It's weak thinking from people who apparently can be bullied by the barest hints, no matter how illogical.

Hopefully the next owner has his head bolted on correctly and knows how to massage these situations... building a class organization and consistent winner, building good relationships in the community, and building a new stadium right in the middle of downtown. That's when we'll be cooking with gas.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Chargers are the likeliest, imo. Old Jack Murphy stadium is one of the worst in the country, they're the closest in distance to LA and actually used to be in LA in their earliest days.

The Dolphins aren't going anywhere, certainly not cross country to a state with exorbitant taxes and prohibitive workman's comp costs. And that's just why the next owner wouldn't give a thought to moving the team. As I've stated in more than one thread, the other owners aren't going to approve of the sale of the team to someone who's interested in moving, either.

It's senseless. It's paranoia. It's weak thinking from people who apparently can be bullied by the barest hints, no matter how illogical.

Hopefully the next owner has his head bolted on correctly and knows how to massage these situations... building a class organization and consistent winner, building good relationships in the community, and building a new stadium right in the middle of downtown. That's when we'll be cooking with gas.
    Thats the NFL best tactic for public financing,
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks

Another reason the Dolphins will NEVER move to LA

The heights of alarmism that this defeated bill has created on this forum is just mind-numbing.
    FIRE FAILBIN

Joe Philbin, PowerPoint Guru (Not Head Coach Material)
    Philbin ... put it all together in a PowerPoint presentation. Everything about that presentation had to be perfect.

If any PowerPoint slide had a spelling or grammar mistake, any typo, any scheme error, that was my responsibility, just like a teacher, Philbin said.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin View Post
    The heights of alarmism that this defeated bill has created on this forum is just mind-numbing.
    Actually I think the alarmism is the result of numbed minds.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin
    But I wanna stand atop my pillar of yelling, feign indignation and blame people

I wanna I wanna I wanna
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Miami Dolphin Columnist in the Making

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    O Town
    Thanks / No Thanks
    LA isnt the only willing market....

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    in reality there are no alot of cities that are wanting to take an established team esp with all the extra stuff that needs to be done.
    La is perfect for Raiders though.
    the NFL has LA
    the NBA has Seattle
    Follow me on Twitter.. @DSEmpire_BA

For My work http://dynastysportsempire.com/author/brent-antonio/
    Quote Quote