Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kelcie McCray: The Miami Dolphins’ Forgotten Man

1. -1
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Off the shoulder of Orion
    Thanks / No Thanks

Player Kelcie McCray: The Miami Dolphins’ Forgotten Man

One year ago, I began writing here at PhinPhanatic and thus began my career as an amateur scout. One player I was extremely high on and had been lobbying for was an Arkansas State safety – how ironic, I must have a thing for Ark St. safeties..

Two months later, the NFL Draft had come and gone and this specific player was still available as an undrafted free agent. The Miami Dolphins had shown interest in this little known safety and snatched him right up as many draft experts pegged McCray as a fourth to sixth round prospect.

While this player was indeed an undrafted free agent, he showed the coaching staff his potential during rookie mini-camps and training camp. That is, until his rookie season came to a halt after injuring his foot during the tail-end of July.

Miami then placed this player on IR leading many to believe if he had not gotten injured the team would have placed him upon it’s 53-man squad backing up incumbent starters Reshad Jones and Chris Clemons.

Who is this player?

This is Kelcie McCray.

The 6’2”, 202 lbs. safety has been somewhat of a distant memory to some. Many were questioning why the team did not address the safety position early during last month’s NFL Draft. The reason? Kelcie McCray.

The coaching staff spoke highly of McCray when asked about his recovery and what to expect of the second-year safety. It also shows promise in what the team currently has on it’s roster at the safety position by not spending a draft selection on a safety when the team was clearly in line to grab one of the top players at the position.
    Read more:http://phinphanatic.com/2013/05/07/k...forgotten-man/
    "It happens all the time," Taylor said. "It's not an exact science and personnel guys aren't the end-all, be-all. " Jason Taylor,2011
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The more competition the better....We need someone else back there to make Plays besides "Jones." Clemons is nonexistent in the turn-over category!
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm very excited to see this kid play. I've never seen him and would like to see whether he plays fast and has good range. Sounds like a nice tackler and he has good size. But we need a playmaker back there. Clemons was more steady last year but he still has sub-par hips and doesn't play the ball well. Clemons is on a one-year deal. It would be great to get McCray knocking on the door for a starting position. McCray and Kovacs as backups to Clemons and Jones could be interesting.

How many DB's does Philbin like to keep? 6 corners and 4 safeties? There is a glut of corners even if Miami keeps 6. Grimes, Taylor, and Will Davis would appear to be safe barring a catastrophe. Patterson, Marshall, Carroll and Wilson are going to be battling with, Jones, Stanford, and Presley in the mix. I see 7 corners battling for 3 spots. I suppose Jones and Presley could go PS while a couple from Carroll, Wilson, Stanford et al with experience will be let go unless there is a spate of IR casualties.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Undrafted Pro-Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Montreal
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ANUFan View Post
    Clemons is nonexistent in the turn-over category!

Clemons is also nonexistent in regards to missing assignments and will not give up the big play downfield.....
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin
    It will be tough to beat out Clemons. Clemons is consistent and does not mess up much. He started to get around the football near the end of the year.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Churubusco, Indiana
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchFiedler View Post
    Clemons is also nonexistent in regards to missing assignments and will not give up the big play downfield.....
    People don't get that.

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Portland
    Thanks / No Thanks

Kelcie McCray: The Miami Dolphins’ Forgotten Man

That'd be great if this guy can play, because I think we really missed out by not picking Rambo. I have a lot of respect for Clemons. He does a good job of staying at home. But Rambo is a playmaker. There's a difference.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden Fox View Post
    It will be tough to beat out Clemons. Clemons is consistent and does not mess up much. He started to get around the football near the end of the year.
    Thank you! Clemons isn't an elite safety, but he is a solid starter. You can't have an elite player at every single position. I'm pleased with clemons as our starter
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Arlington, Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Depending on his play this year, I wouldn't mind extending Clemons along with Jones. If Clemons continues to be solid for us, I would be all for locking up that tandem for years to come. Their chemistry is definitely growing.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Tatious View Post
    I'm very excited to see this kid play. I've never seen him and would like to see whether he plays fast and has good range. Sounds like a nice tackler and he has good size. But we need a playmaker back there. Clemons was more steady last year but he still has sub-par hips and doesn't play the ball well. Clemons is on a one-year deal. It would be great to get McCray knocking on the door for a starting position. McCray and Kovacs as backups to Clemons and Jones could be interesting.

How many DB's does Philbin like to keep? 6 corners and 4 safeties? There is a glut of corners even if Miami keeps 6. Grimes, Taylor, and Will Davis would appear to be safe barring a catastrophe. Patterson, Marshall, Carroll and Wilson are going to be battling with, Jones, Stanford, and Presley in the mix. I see 7 corners battling for 3 spots. I suppose Jones and Presley could go PS while a couple from Carroll, Wilson, Stanford et al with experience will be let go unless there is a spate of IR casualties.
    McCRAY could esasily join CLEMONS and JONES. I honestly don't know enough about KOVAKS. But since we had ZIPPO in QUALITY DEPTH last season, if he "shows" anything at all, I'd SIGN HIM UP as well!

CARROLL's experienced, and too good to cut. Even if he doesn't START, he'd have a role. And we signed GIRIMES, a veteran, for a reason: he stays, too! Anyone who can legitimately play "slot CB" also might well make the team, and w/o competition really, unless there are more than 2 of them (which I doubt). WILSON flat out sucks. He hasn't done well at ANY position. I would absolutely cut him. MARSHALL is a risk that I myself wouldn't take. I HATE back injuries. How can a player come up and "stick his head in", in run support, after major back surgery??? I could be out of date. It's just that "run support" makes me wince when the player involved is a CB coming off of back surgery. And of course, I remember DARRYL GARDNER before and after HIS back surgery. It may be cruel, but I'd cut MARSHALL. I'd keep PATTERSON, at least for now, because we need some veteran CBs. All of the remaining CBs (namely, DAVIS, TAYLOR, JONES, STANFORD and PRESLEY) are competing for ONE starting "border CB" and 2 back-up CB positions of some kind--i/m/o, making 3 roster spots in all... and may the best 3 men win. Two get cut and hopefully go to the P/S. As a postscript, if some unheralded/unknown CB is discovered in camp, then there's 1 less available roster spot for that group, and at least 3 of DAVIS, TAYLOR, JONES, PRESLEY and STANFORD go (hopefully) to the P/S.

The only "wild card" is that if one of the group of DAVIS, TAYLOR, JONES, PRESLEY and STANFORD actually visibly outplays PATTERSON, then that CB makes the team outright, and PATTERSON goes, and we get to spend all the "cap $$$" we save on another F/A or just roll it over to next year!

Nothing wrong w/that!

QED.
    Quote Quote