Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: With hindsight, how would you have handled FA & Draft?

1. -21
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    wales and will die a prou
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Pro Football Focus graded Burnett as the No. 4, 4-3 outside 'backer in football, behind only Von Miller, Jerod Mayo, and Lance Briggs.

Now this is not bad company. We can all revel in pro bowlers but IMO, if you are near top of tree with PFF, you are doing something right, especially when the stats also include, who most know as the best players in the league.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Gibson >> Bess IMO. I like Bess too, but he'll never be anything more than we already saw. I feel Gibson has more upside. I hope Bess has a good season in Cleveland, just not week 1.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's been a fantastic offseason in my book. It's as if Ireland finally gets it -- perhaps it's Philibin's influence and not having to find players for an outdated system. I still think we could have done more at wide receiver, though, and one of my favorite players in the draft, Quinton Patton, was there in the 4th round.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Atila - the freshmaker.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EireTiger View Post
    Kevin Burnet was a big liability in coverage and in space. We must have been watching different games because it seemed to me every opponent picked on Burnett down the middle of the field. You would always see him chasing the TE who caught the ball.
    I agree we must have been watching different games because **LAST SEASON** Burnett did great specifically in coverage. He was consistently breaking up balls and blanketing TE's or RB's.

www.DiamondandDesign.com
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Atila View Post
    The only big head scratcher for me is Phillip Wheeler. Especially considering that Kevin Burnett played pretty damn well last season, all things considered.
    you and I can look at stats and on the field stuff, what you and I can't account for is off the field and behind the scenes team chemistry. I seem to recall kevin opening his mouth a few times last season and was probably one of the guys who opposed hard knocks, and he did so in the open. Big no no. you got a problem you keep it behind closed doors.
    "I didn't feel like we had to score," Tannehill said. "I had the mindset we were going to score."

Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Left So Fla, never the Fins...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by normaniii View Post
    Long time to go before the season kicks off, so I wanted to post and get other peoples opinions on what they would have done if Jeff Ireland over offseason.

This is my go at playing Dolphin GM anyway.

Retained
    Kevin Burnett - Dannell Ellerbe signed for approx 7m a year, where Burnett was about 6m and rated by PFF as the 4th best 4-3 OLB 2012, who can also play ILB.

Davone Bess - signed Gibson for more than what Bess would have earned. Why?

Resigned
    QB - Matt Moore 2yr/8m

WR - Brian Hartline 5yr/30m

Released
    CB - Dimitri Patterson

K - Dan Carpenter

Free Agency
    WR - Mike Wallace 5yr/60m

RT - Tyson Clabo - 1yr/3m

CB - Brent Grimes 1yr/5m

CB - Antoine Winfield 1yr/3m - I would have paid more for the most underrated corner in football IMO.

TE - Dustin Keller 1yr/4.25m

OG - Matt Slausen 1yr/850K - we signed Louis for twice as much, yet he coming off injury.

Draft
    1 - DE - Bjoern Werner - Odrick back to his best position. DE rotation of Wake, Werner, Vernon. DT rotation of Soliai, Starks, Odrick.
    2a - CB - Jamar Taylor
    2b - ILB - Arthur Brown - Could start day 1. Athletic and good against pass. Would have saved so much money drafting LB & IMO Brown & Burnett better than Ellerbe & Wheeler.
    3 - OT/OG - Dallas Thomas
    4a - OG/C - Barrett Jones - great depth
    4b - FS/SS - Phillip Thomas - again depth as not much behind Jones & Clemons
    4c - DT - Jesse Williams - Starks & Soliai FA 2014
    5a - RB - Joseph Randle - better value than Gillislee
    5c - Caleb Sturgis
    7a - CB - Jordan Poyer - Cant have too many corner
    7b - OLB - Chase Thomas - Better player than athlete who dropped due to combine

Not far different from Ireland but would have saved a ton of money if not throwing contracts at Ellerbe, Wheeler & Gibson. Please post your opinion
    I'd have made the Ellerbe trade a) younger, b) more athletic c) more upside/flexibility playing against the NEs of the world).
    Gibson move must have something to do with how Bess handled himself in the locker room last year and how he handled his injury. This was an even move, salary wise, Bess was in his last year, counted $2,7M against the cap and Gibson is $1.7m against the cap....
    Patterson may very well get released, as a cap move, but at this point, he's also insurance for Taylor (rookie, unproven), Marshall/Grimes (coming off injuries) and Carroll (just awful). Again he may still get the ax, but it won't be until we know more about the other guys...
    Carpenter may yet be released, so you can't take credit for that move, however that depends on Sturgis....hehehehe

I'm gonna guess that Slausen is a better option only because he's younger. Fact is neither is great choice coming from a line that was arguably even worse than ours. I don't know about Slausen, but Louis does fit the athletic ability that Sherman likes for his OL...

I can say this, I'd have gotten an OT before the draft, likely Winston for $4M a year. I also wouldn't have thought about trading up for Jordan... Not that I wouldn't have gotten a pass rusher somewhere, but I was surprised (and elated) by that move. I just knew that we were going to draft Johnson at that point...

I think I would have thought harder about signing Keller and Clabo for longer than one year as well...
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Atila - the freshmaker.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    you and I can look at stats and on the field stuff, what you and I can't account for is off the field and behind the scenes team chemistry. I seem to recall kevin opening his mouth a few times last season and was probably one of the guys who opposed hard knocks, and he did so in the open. Big no no. you got a problem you keep it behind closed doors.
    Can't argue with this, I suspect it to be the case, as well.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    wales and will die a prou
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Maybe you right about the behind the scenes. Dansby, Bush, Burnett & Smith all gone. All I would say liked to 'talk' a good game.
    Quote Quote