Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding the Fits: Miami's OL woes soon over with versatile Thomas?

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks

Finding the Fits: Miami's OL woes soon over with versatile Thomas?

During the next several weeks, NFLDraftScout.com will review the more intriguing picks made during the 2013 NFL Draft in a series called "Finding the Fits." The goal of the series is to identify one relatively unheralded player per team who appears to be a good schematic fit and, therefore, more likely to be a surprise contributor early in his pro career.

Miami Dolphins Best Fit: OL Dallas Thomas, Tennessee, 3rd Round, No. 77 overall.

It is perhaps appropriate that the Miami Dolphins used the 77th pick on highly versatile offensive lineman Dallas Thomas.

The former University of Tennessee standout could wind up replacing departed free agent left tackle Jake Long, who wore No. 77 during his five seasons with the club after earning the No. 1 overall selection of the 2008 draft.

With 25 starts at the all-important left tackle position already on his resume, Thomas gives the Dolphins a quality contingency plan should 2012 second round pick, Jonathan Martin, struggle as Long's likely replacement protecting Ryan Tannehill's blindside.

The Dolphins know what they have in Martin, who started all 16 games at tackle for the team as a rookie, including the final four on the left side when Long was sidelined with injury (triceps). Martin was solid but far from spectacular in his first season in the NFL and there was plenty of pre-draft speculation that general manager Jeff Ireland would continue his aggressive offseason by trading up to secure one of the top tackles in the 2013 draft. The Dolphins pursued a trade with the Kansas City Chiefs for left tackle Branden Albert and continue to tinker with their offense after the draft, signing veteran Tyson Clabo to a one-year deal on May 5.

While the majority of Thomas' experience was at left tackle, he was moved inside to left guard as a senior, starting all 12 games there. This move, according to sources close to the Vols, was in part due to Thomas' strength and versatility and because the young man who replaced him Antonio Richardson, a 6-6, 332-pound junior, is viewed as a potential blue-chip talent.

Whether at left tackle or as an upgrade to the tenacious (but athletically-limited) Richie Incognito at left guard, Thomas projects as a quality NFL starter.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/b...rsatile-thomas
    Follow me at www.twitter.com/robi2184, always updating Dolfans with the latest Miami Dolphins news.

Zach Thomas: I played against New England twice a year every year my whole career. I learned to not like that team. I wasn't going to join them.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    The Cheese Connoisseur

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins HomerDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    As I see it,

Dallas can be groomed for

- Incog is a FA next year, take over at LG
    - Clabo is a one year stop gap, take over at RT next year
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Why can't Thomas start at LG and slide Incognito to RG. Ireland has always referred to Lance Louis as Depth & Louis needs to prove he is healthy before he gets a shot at anything.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Trouble Shooter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Copperhead Road Blackwater Swamp, Va....
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think we will be ok on the line until the injury bug pops up. Then its the "next man up" mentality that we are going to need.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    wales and will die a proud dragon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FinAtic8480 View Post
    Why can't Thomas start at LG and slide Incognito to RG. Ireland has always referred to Lance Louis as Depth & Louis needs to prove he is healthy before he gets a shot at anything.
    Doesnt he have injury at the moment? Not sure but I agree with you. If Jerry doesnt show up Thomas or Louis will step in.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    #12 #13 #23 #39 #54 #99

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He is our future LG. Cog will play out his last year of his contract while Thomas rehabs his shoulder and provides depth. Its that simple. Next years draft I expect us to take a RT and quite possibly a RG.
    Last edited by foozool13; 05-08-2013 at 04:04 PM.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Thanks, nice article.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You need some experience on the blind side. Starting Martin at LT and a rookie at LG would be troublesome.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    lets move richie and his big pay check as far right as possible [like the dole queue] his got no trade value , and yes he played ok after midseason ,but probowl level
    get out of here !

it really makes me cringe seeing him in space and completly whiffing on blocks time after time

o h well i guess he stays and helps martin in his left tackle spot , giving him someone reliable to lean on !!
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    he could eventually be our starting left guard, and meanwhile provide (hopefully) quality depth at left guard and left tackle.
    Quote Quote