Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting older articles about Huzienga's plan for stadium in 2005.

1. -1
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks

Interesting older articles about Huzienga's plan for stadium in 2005.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/200...new-dolphins/2

DAVIE — Dolphins owner H. Wayne Huizenga unveiled a sweeping overhaul of Pro Player Stadium on Monday that includes immediately renaming the team's home Dolphins Stadium and adding a roof and entertainment areas, a plan that could cost him more than $400 million.

Amazing how things have changed since 2005
    When death smiles upon you, the Infantry man smiles back. WV says Im not a patriot and Jeff Ireland is a Boss so it must be true.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    What happened?? He sold the team instead?
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    grip it and rip it

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    DolphinDolphinDolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by steveo style View Post
    Blockbuster tanked and he needed the money
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks

Interesting older articles about Huzienga's plan for stadium in 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo style View Post
    Nick Saban and Cam Cameron happened...
    FIRE FAILBIN

Joe Philbin, PowerPoint Guru (Not Head Coach Material)
    Philbin ... put it all together in a PowerPoint presentation. Everything about that presentation had to be perfect.

“If any PowerPoint slide had a spelling or grammar mistake, any typo, any scheme error, that was my responsibility, just like a teacher,” Philbin said.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yes, I remember those plans. I've referred to the term Dolphin Town a couple of times. I was primarily posting on another Dolphin board at the time and we discussed it. Huizenga irked me by prioritizing Broward and Palm Beach above Dade, but otherwise he had some sharp ideas, far above the capability of the current crew.

In particular, notice the emphasis on Main Street, with outdoor restaurants and activities. I mentioned it last night, that nonsense like freeway access and centralized location pale in comparison to other options on the property, a reason to go even if you're not an avid football fan. Check out Gulfstream Park. I can't believe how many people I run into on that property who don't give a flip about the races, yet they'll spend all day at the shops and restaurants and other people-powered activities. It feels like the place to be. The Robbie Bowl has none of that. When it's 50/50 to go to the game or not, no is going to win out. Find another activity that actually includes multiple prongs. What a concept.

Perhaps not coincidentally, Gulfstream was in the middle of its vast remodel when Huizenga announced the plans for the stadium and its surroundings. It also coincided with the development of Patriot Place alongside Gillette Stadium. Patriot Place opened in 2007. We're light years behind one of our main rivals. I remember when the Patriots stadium in Foxboro was little more than a bloated small college stadium, surrounded by a harness track. Now there are year round shops and restaurants all over the property.

Granted, that area on US 1 is more of a natural destination than Miami Gardens. Our mistakes were early and often.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    Yes, I remember those plans. I've referred to the term Dolphin Town a couple of times. I was primarily posting on another Dolphin board at the time and we discussed it. Huizenga irked me by prioritizing Broward and Palm Beach above Dade, but otherwise he had some sharp ideas, far above the capability of the current crew.

In particular, notice the emphasis on Main Street, with outdoor restaurants and activities. I mentioned it last night, that nonsense like freeway access and centralized location pale in comparison to other options on the property, a reason to go even if you're not an avid football fan. Check out Gulfstream Park. I can't believe how many people I run into on that property who don't give a flip about the races, yet they'll spend all day at the shops and restaurants and other people-powered activities. It feels like the place to be. The Robbie Bowl has none of that. When it's 50/50 to go to the game or not, no is going to win out. Find another activity that actually includes multiple prongs. What a concept.

Perhaps not coincidentally, Gulfstream was in the middle of its vast remodel when Huizenga announced the plans for the stadium and its surroundings. It also coincided with the development of Patriot Place alongside Gillette Stadium. Patriot Place opened in 2007. We're light years behind one of our main rivals. I remember when the Patriots stadium in Foxboro was little more than a bloated small college stadium, surrounded by a harness track. Now there are year round shops and restaurants all over the property.

Granted, that area on US 1 is more of a natural destination than Miami Gardens. Our mistakes were early and often.
    right now the pats owner, one of the best in football is making a 100 million a year off his investment
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    One thing I didn't see in his plans was the vision to bring seating closer to the field like we had in the Orange Bowl ... unless I missed it. Thanks for posting it was an interesting read, especially the use of private funds.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Ya interesting read, i do remember the roof talk, but not much other than that. Crazy how time flies haha... sure woulda been interesting if the combine was moved to a natural grass facility as well.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, FL.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Wasn't there talk about adding a water park, too?
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Challenger74 View Post
    Wasn't there talk about adding a water park, too?
    Yea that was Ross.
    http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...l=Finance&sc=0

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...rk-association

http://the305.com/2010/08/19/miami-d.../#.UYuts7V18TY

http://www.athleticbusiness.com/edit...lt.aspx?id=197

It even mentioned needing to upgrade stadium when they talked of this but somehow waited until last minute to propose these bills
    Quote Quote