Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kiper Releases Initial Big Board for 2014

1. -1
    What Sherman aspires to be

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks

Kiper Releases Initial Big Board for 2014

01 - DE Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina
    02 - QB Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville
    03 - WR Marqise Lee, USC
    04 - LT Cyrus Kouandjio, Alabama
    05 - OLB Anthony Barr, UCLA
    06 - LT Jake Matthews, Texas A&M
    07 - NT Louis Nix, Notre Dame
    08 - LT Taylor Lewan, Michigan
    09 - CB Bradley Roby, Ohio St
    10 - CB Loucheiz Purifoy, Florida
    11 - LT Anthonio Richardson, Tennessee
    12 - OLB Adrian Hubbard, Alabama
    13 - DT Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame
    14 - CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon
    15 - DT Timmy Jernigan, Florida St
    16 - WR Sammy Watkins, Clemson
    17 - OLB CJ Mosley, Alabama
    18 - WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    19 - LT Cameron Erving, Florida St
    20 - DE Aaron Lynch, USF
    21 - QB Tajh Boyd, Clemson
    22 - DT Anthony Johnson, LSU
    23 - OLB Kyle Van Noy, BYU
    24 - TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    25 - QB Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M

This year he gives us an additional 25:
    26 - OLB Ryan Shazier, Ohio St
    27 - WR Brandon Coleman, Rutgers
    28 - Ath De'Anthony Thomas, Oregon
    29 - G David Yankey, Stanford
    30 - FS Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix, Alabama
    31 - DE Scott Crichton, Oregon St
    32 - OLB Christian Jones, Florida St
    33 - QB Marcus Mariota, Oregon
    34 - RB Lache Seastrunk, Baylor
    35 - OLB Jeremiah Attaochu, Georgia Tech
    36 - CB Aaron Colvin, Oklahoma
    37 - RB Ka'Deem Carey, Arizona
    38 - DE Jackson Jeffcoat, Texas
    39 - ILB Trey DePriest, Alabama
    40 - FS Ed Reynolds, Stanford
    41 - QB AJ McCarron, Alabama
    42 - DE Morgan Breslin, USC
    43 - NT Daniel McCuller, Tennessee
    44 - CB Jason Verrett, TCU
    45 - ILB Yawin Smallwood, UConn
    46 - DT Deandre Coleman, Cal
    47 - CB Quandre Diggs, Texas
    48 - WR Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt
    49 - G Gabe Jackson, Mississippi St
    50 - ILB AJ Johnson, Tennessee

---------- Post added at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

Last year's initial Big Board only featured seven players that were drafted in the top 25 & one (Johnny Adams) that was not drafted. Which player in the initial 2014 Big Board above is most likely to go undrafted (& not because they returned to school)?

01 - QB Matt Barkley, USC
    02 - OLB Jarvis Jones, Georgia
    03 - OLB Barkevious Mingo, LSU
    04 - QB Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech
    05 - DE Sam Montgomery, LSU
    06 - RT DJ Fluker, Alabama
    07 - WR Robert Woods, USC
    08 - CB David Amerson, NC State
    09 - DT Star Lotulelei, Utah
    10 - ILB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame
    11 - DT Johnathan Hankins, Ohio St
    12 - LT Taylor Lewan, Michigan
    13 - QB Tyler Wilson, Arkansas
    14 - CB Johnny Adams, Michigan St
    15 - DT Kawann Short, Purdue
    16 - LT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M
    17 - DE William Gholston, Michigan St
    18 - WR Keenan Allen, Cal
    19 - RB Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina
    20 - CB Xavier Rhodes, Florida St
    21 - RB Le'Veon Bell, Michigan St
    22 - CB Johnthan Banks, Mississippi St
    23 - DE Corey Lemonier, Auburn
    24 - RT Ricky Wagner, Wisconsin
    25 - TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    There are several among his top 10 that I will be shocked if they aren't actually drafted there come next April. Clowney, Lee and Matthews chief among them. If they are accepting bets in Vegas already regarding next year's #1 pick, I'd more than confidently throw a nice chunk of change down on Clowney. Barring injury or unexpectedly deciding not to declare for the draft, I don't see any way that guy doesn't go #1
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EJay View Post
    There are several among his top 10 that I will be shocked if they aren't actually drafted there come next April. Clowney, Lee and Matthews chief among them. If they are accepting bets in Vegas already regarding next year's #1 pick, I'd more than confidently throw a nice chunk of change down on Clowney. Barring injury or unexpectedly deciding not to declare for the draft, I don't see any way that guy doesn't go #1
    Unless a team sits at #1 that needs a franchise passer and then Bridgewater would be the pick. I would sprint that card up to the podium to make that selection if I were that team.
    Insert pithy saying here.

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Daniel McCullers is not going that high. I'll guarantee it. He's a 370+ pound defensive tackle with no pass rush ability whatsoever.

Attaochu isn't an elite enough athlete to go that high. One of the plays that has always stuck out in my mind for Attaochu is the one during his sophomore season where he couldn't get Logan Thomas on the ground and started throwing punches. I think he might be better off at ILB anyway.

Ekpre-Olomu is a 5'9" corner that might be better off at safety, but he's easily the best prospect out of these three. I have him as a 2nd/3rd rounder right now if he were to come out.

I pointed out in one of the pass rusher threads in here about a year ago to watch out for Adrian Hubbard in the future. He's a lot like Mingo except bigger.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    There's something still missing in Aaron Lynch's game that makes me think being top 20 heading into the 2014 Draft is premature. The big problem I saw in Notre Dame was how he got off the ball. He gets too upright. At the spring game he still had the same problem except now he added an annoying jack start to his issues. He's also lost a lot of weight (it looks like, to me) and he no longer has that outside/inside flexibility he had at Notre Dame. Now he's more of an outside up/down guy. We'll see on him. I was hoping to see more than what I ended up seeing at the spring game.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I see Mel has Mike Evans right up there with Marquise Lee and Sammy Watkins. That's deserved. The big question on Evans is going to be pure speed. If he's a 4.50 guy then he's fast enough. But if he's more of a 4.60 guy then he's not. We all can see the athleticism, the ups, the ability to move, etc. And of course he's a physically strong beast with really good hands, like a Brandon Marshall that way. What remains to be seen is whether he can work on his speed. He's trying to work on it. That was one of his goals this off season, to work on his speed. On tape he ran away from some guys but those guys run in the 4.6's and 4.7's. He needs to run away from guys that run in the 4.5's.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would also rank Jake Matthews above Cyrus Kouandjio for the moment. I like Kouandjio a lot and you can't watch Alabama tape without noticing that big guy dominating at left tackle. But he's got to work on his physical shape and mobility. You can't dominate the next level at LEFT tackle the way he's dominating this level, if you don't end up becoming an athlete and not just a people mover. Just ask Jeff Otah.

There are times I really love Christian Jones and there are times I really think he's overrated.

I still consider Jackson Jeffcoat to be very overrated. But we'll see how he progresses in his final year. Coming off the injury, I can't imagine he ends up impressing me a whole lot more.

Will Sutton is conspicuous in his absence. Mel must not be a fan of his size.

If he dings Sutton on size, it's also understandable to ding Aaron Donald on size. But mark me on this, Aaron Donald is going to be a very good NFL player. I've been waiting for a guy that ACTUALLY reminds me of Geno Atkins, whom I really loved coming out in 2010 and I thought should've been a 1st rounder. Every year since then (because it was obvious what a great pick Atkins was going to be, as early as his first preseason), I keep looking for a guy that reminds me of him. I think Aaron Donald might be that guy.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Aaron Donald has been a good football player for a long time. I started putting him in my underrated underclassman thread in this forum right after his sophomore season. I think he'd have already declared if he had more prototypical size. He probably doesn't get high grades by the committee because they can't really project him anywhere at 6'0", 275 pounds. Geno Atkins at 6'1", 295 was easier to project as a 3-technique at the very least.

Donald is in the same boat with a kid like Roosevelt Nix who I've also been extremely high on since his freshman season when he absolutely dominated as a true freshman at Kent St. He lines up at DT at 5'11", 245 pounds and it's just difficult to project him to a position despite his dominance on the field. I watched him destroy Bama's offensive line as a sophomore in a game where Kent St. was getting blown out of the stadium. I don't care what game you watch of him, he cannot be blocked. Period.

This kid has racked up 50 TFL's, 19.5 sacks, and forced 10 fumbles over the past 3 seasons despite all the attention being put squarely on him. Nix and Donald are two of the premier cases of players getting overlooked due to measurables. The league can't project you accurately if you don't fit the prototype.
    Last edited by TedSlimmJr; 05-09-2013 at 12:06 PM.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    cowboy surfer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Marqise Lee is insane

I would throw away draft picks to get him in Miami
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    Aaron Donald has been a good football player for a long time. I started putting him in my underrated underclassman thread in this forum right after his sophomore season. I think he'd have already declared if he had more prototypical size. He probably doesn't get high grades by the committee because they can't really project him anywhere at 6'0", 275 pounds. Geno Atkins at 6'1", 295 was easier to project as a 3-technique at the very least.

Donald is in the same boat with a kid like Roosevelt Nix who I've also been extremely high on since his freshman season when he absolutely dominated as a true freshman at Kent St. He lines up at DT at 5'11", 245 pounds and it's just difficult to project him to a position despite his dominance on the field. I watched him destroy Bama's offensive line as a sophomore in a game where Kent St. was getting blown out of the stadium. I don't care what game you watch of him, he cannot be blocked. Period.

This kid has racked up 50 TFL's, 19.5 sacks, and forced 10 fumbles over the past 3 seasons despite all the attention being put squarely on him. Nix and Donald are two of the premier cases of players getting overlooked due to measurables. The league can't project you accurately if you don't fit the prototype.
    Geno Atkins may have showed up to the Combine weighing 293 lbs but I can guarantee he didn't play at that. I thought he had to be 285 max, and I could've swore I'd actually seen listings at 275 before. His Georgia Track & Field media guide listing was 282 lbs. His 2009 football roster listing said 287 lbs. He initially showed up at Georgia listed at 270 lbs. When he came out, pre-Combine his draft profiles said 286 lbs and Pro Football Reference still lists that as his weight.

I don't think there's a grocery bag's worth of difference between Atkins and Donald in terms of size. Maybe an inch shorter (6013 vs. 6003?) and maybe 5 or 10 lbs lighter. Donald was listed at 275 in 2012 but who knows how he'll be listed in 2013. Could be 285 at that point. I expect by the time he works out at the Combine he'll be up to the 290 range just like Atkins was.

I wouldn't quite put Roosevelt Nix in the same boat. I understand he's also undersized and good, but to me putting Aaron Donald in the same boat as 5'11" and 245 lbs Roosevelt Nix is like putting Ray Rice as an undersized tailback in the same boat as Darren Sproles.
    Last edited by ckparrothead; 05-09-2013 at 01:00 PM.
    Quote Quote