Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kiper Releases Initial Big Board for 2014

1. -11
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He's in the same boat in terms of being overlooked due to size. Whether you're willing to put him there or not... they're both in it.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    He's in the same boat in terms of being overlooked due to size. Whether you're willing to put him there or not... they're both in it.
    And it's the same boat that Geno Atkins was in, one big reason (the other is sickle cell) he went 4th round instead of 1st round. That's what I'm saying. If Roosevelt Nix and Aaron Donald (and Will Sutton) are sharing a boat together, Geno Atkins is keeping them company.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

3. -13

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think Nix would probably be playing a more coventional DE's role if he played in a major conference where bigger kids would automatically get the nod along the interior. He reminds of Elvis Dumerville coming out of Louisville... another kid that was overlooked due to size (5'11", 250). Dumerville was at least afforded the opportunity to avoid having to line up at defensive tackle.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I hope Roosevelt Nix gets a lot more time at defensive end. When he lines up at tackle he's only making plays one way, and when he's unable to do that he's getting blasted off the planet. When he lines up on the wing, he does some interesting things that make me wonder if he could translate at that position.

With him I worry that the puzzle pieces just don't fit together. He's got natural advantages owing to his size when he lines up on the interior. He's 50 or 60 lbs lighter and 5 inches shorter than all these interior offensive linemen, who are generally the worst athletes in college football. Of course he's going to be quicker than them and if in the scheme you don't mind your defensive tackle taking himself out of the gap defense on a consistent basis, he's going to be able to get in the backfield and make plays. Because of some unique qualities that he possesses, but mostly because of the level of competition, these poor athletes aren't able to consistently use their size and strength advantage in order to nullify his speed advantage. But the next level is going to be a different landscape. If those guys are athletic enough to allow their size/strength advantages to nullify his speed advantage, he's toast. Not even rosterable as an interior player. Very slippery slope that way, IMO.

So then you get to the question whether he can be a defensive end. If you took all his tape and sliced out 90 percent of it (making up these numbers as I go, btw), and kept just the 10 percent where he's lined up out on the edge...is that the tape of a compelling defensive end prospect a la Elvis Dumervil? You probably recall that Elvis may have been short, but he had really long arms and a good frame. And all those TFLs he had (I remember he had something like 23+ in his final year), they came from End. Point is, if you just straight up cut out every play he's ever made on the interior, and not even looked at it...is this a player that looks interesting at End?
    Quote Quote  

5. -15

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's the fact that he plays beyond what's asked of him that reminds me of Dumerville. The sign of a player that plays beyond what's asked of him is found in the number of turnovers they force. Dumerville's most unique quality at Louisville was that he forced an enormous amount of fumbles once he got in the backfield. It's the sign of a finisher. This is what Nix does.

I see guys all the time that can't do this, even when most of the work has already been done for 'em. They'd rather stand around and watch.

The DE spot for Nix is a complete projection since that's not what he's asked to do. However, it's what he's going to have to do. He's obviously not going to play DT in the NFL at 245 pounds.

I completely disagree with your evaluation that he only makes plays one way. As a matter of fact, if your insinuation is that Aaron Donald is even more talented, I'll take that bet every time.

Nix has already stood up against Bama's offensive line. He dominated it by himself as a sophomore. I watched him plug a goalline stand against Kentucky's offensive line.... a guy named Larry Warford. Nix stands out the most when he's faced against the better competition.

Yeah, he's a rosterable player.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I undersold Dumervil. He did indeed have 23 TFLs as I recalled, but 21 of them were Sacks. I'd forgotten about that. Incredible. And indeed I believe he had 11 forced fumbles. That's a pretty good ratio (2:1). Normal ratio of sacks to fumbles is about 4:1.

I said that if you're plugging Roosevelt Nix in at defensive TACKLE there's a good chance he's unrosterable. Defensive end is a question mark. A "complete projection" as you put it.

And if your insinuation is that Roosevelt Nix is more valuable than Aaron Donald, I'll take that bet every time.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: Kiper Releases Initial Big Board for 2014

Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    I see Mel has Mike Evans right up there with Marquise Lee and Sammy Watkins. That's deserved. The big question on Evans is going to be pure speed. If he's a 4.50 guy then he's fast enough. But if he's more of a 4.60 guy then he's not. We all can see the athleticism, the ups, the ability to move, etc. And of course he's a physically strong beast with really good hands, like a Brandon Marshall that way. What remains to be seen is whether he can work on his speed. He's trying to work on it. That was one of his goals this off season, to work on his speed. On tape he ran away from some guys but those guys run in the 4.6's and 4.7's. He needs to run away from guys that run in the 4.5's.
    What are your thoughts on Sammy Watkins? Does he fit our system? I really like him and liked De Andre Hopkins as well.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    What Sherman aspires to be

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    And it's the same boat that Geno Atkins was in, one big reason (the other is sickle cell) he went 4th round instead of 1st round. That's what I'm saying. If Roosevelt Nix and Aaron Donald (and Will Sutton) are sharing a boat together, Geno Atkins is keeping them company.
    Wouldn't they all be better served as being strong side DEs or 3-4 DEs? I see lack of height as a hindrance for a DT pushing the pocket trying to clog the passing lanes.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    What Sherman aspires to be

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SMadison29 View Post
    Last year's initial Big Board only featured seven players that were drafted in the top 25 & one (Johnny Adams) that was not drafted. Which player in the initial 2014 Big Board above is most likely to go undrafted (& not because they returned to school)?
    I'm gonna go with Johnny Manziel. He's nowhere near an NFL QB or even a good prospect at this point in his career.

Negatives:
    - below average arm strength
    - poor footwork - doesn't step into his throws in the pocket, throws flat footed, front foot isn't pointed in the direction he's throwing
    - doesn't/can't throw downfield
    - questionable pocket awareness - sometimes he looks like he has good pocket awareness but the majority of the time he gets happy feet & bails out too early
    - accuracy issues - throws behind his receivers running slants & floats high passes to receivers on the edges
    - plays strictly out of the shotgun
    - through his actions he comes off as entitled & a premadonna
    - the Tim Tebow effect - the cult following which will only get bigger but probably not as big as Tebow's will cause teams to shy away because they don't want to deal with the headache from the media & fans

Positives:
    - great improvisation skills
    - keeps his eyes downfield when he's running around in the backfield
    - his elusiveness.

Great college player but he's about reached his ceiling.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Ours is the fury.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hey Louchiez Purifoy. Good athlete. Guy could very well end up being the return guy we all hoped Andre Debose would be before he flopped. If he can polish his game at CB he could absolutely be a 1st round talent. He plays a little offense too. He's a little bit like Devin Hester was at Miami.
    Our coach!

Quote Quote