Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 30 for 30 - Elway to Marino

1. -1
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Off the shoulder of Orion
    Thanks / No Thanks

30 for 30 - Elway to Marino

Everytime I watch anything to do with Dan and his career, I feel this pit in my stomach. While Shula was a great coach, his personnel decisions left something to be desired. I think it was '93 when he got all these offensive FAs to help Marino out, but the only problem was the fact that we needed defensive help. I think it is almost criminal that they held on to Olivadotti and wasted the prime years of Dan career with a DC that was totally inept and forced the offense to win most games because we could not hold a lead. I just hope Dan memories do not fad over time because of his lack of winning the SB. I think the argument that he is a lesser figure in the history of the league because he did not win the SB is absurd. It just makes me sad when I think that the greatest QB I have ever seen has got that cloud hanging over his head.
    "It happens all the time," Taylor said. "It's not an exact science and personnel guys aren't the end-all, be-all. " Jason Taylor,2011
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I always try to imagine what he would be if he played in today's league (as in he was young again). It truly is a shame that he never won a superbowl because his legacy was in his crazy numbers. Now, future generations will look at those numbers and think nothing of it because of the way the game is played.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I wish Marino was just a few years younger. By the time the defense really started to blossom in the late '90s, he was getting older.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Broward, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It sad indeed, what should have been....could have been....might have been.... If Danny could have had the Killer B's Defense while he was at his prime....ohhh man!!
    ANGELOfinsFAN
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Anytime I try to watch this ****ing 30 for 30 someone or something pulls me away and then it isn't ever on again when I can actually watch it. Two nights ago there was five 30 for 30 on in a row do ya think this could have been one of them.........nooooooo!!!

Damn it.
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mike Wallace 11
Gift received at 09-22-2014, 08:04 PM from Flip Tanneflop
Message: You will need this when Moore comes in and starts connecting with Wallace on deep throws.
    Five words for you - "Bill Arnsparger vs Tom Olivadotti".

IMO, if Arnsparger stayed in Miami, Marino would have won multiple SBs. It is as simple as that. Look at Shula's time in Miami. When Arnsparger was his DC, the defense was great.

BTW, compare Shula's record with and without Arnsparger. The results are staggering. If you total the wins and losses in the regular season and playoffs with and without Arnsparger (I added a "halo" year at the end of each Arnsparger term to account for his influence). It also happens to divide Shula's 26 years exactly in half.

With:
    13 seasons
    Regular season - 140 wins, 47 losses, 2 ties, 75% winning percentage.
    Playoffs - 13 wins, 9 losses, 59% winning percentage. 5 SB appearances, 2 SB wins

Without:
    13 seasons
    Regular season - 117 wins, 86 losses, 0 ties, 58% winning percentage.
    Playoffs - 4 wins, 5 losses, 44% winning percentage. 0 SB appearances

BTW, without the added "halo" years. the results are only a bit different:

With:
    11 seasons
    Regular season - 115 wins, 42 losses, 2 ties, 73% winning percentage.
    Playoffs - 11 wins, 7 losses, 61% winning percentage. 4 SB appearances, 2 SB wins

Without:
    15 seasons
    Regular season - 142 wins, 91 losses, 0 ties, 61% winning percentage.
    Playoffs - 6 wins, 7 losses, 46% winning percentage. 1 SB appearances, 0 SB wins
    Last edited by FinfanInBuffalo; 05-10-2013 at 09:21 AM.
    Angry Deniers. A bunch of agenda-driven whiny clowns whose sole mission is to deny anything good that Tannehill has done and deny anything bad that the "gods of quarterbacks" have done.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    VIPeezy

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Montreal, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It was actually one of my least favorite 30 for 30s. Thought it was really boring. 95% of it was about Elway and the rest of the draft... very little about Danny boy.
    Sig courtesy of @dolfan565

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    formally known as CANEPHINS

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Savannah, GA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oronde View Post
    I wish Marino was just a few years younger. By the time the defense really started to blossom in the late '90s, he was getting older.
    I wouldn't say blossom in the late 90's when the last game as a 62-7 playoff loss.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    formally known as CANEPHINS

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Savannah, GA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    It was actually one of my least favorite 30 for 30s. Thought it was really boring. 95% of it was about Elway and the rest of the draft... very little about Danny boy.

Agreed. But lets be honest, Marino wasn't the first pick in the draft. It took a long time to get to his story due to everything else going on in that draft, along with the Elway mess.

It was a very good 30 for 30, as they all are, and it was amazing how they recreated the draft room. It just sucked from our fandom standpoint because Marino was really only a major part of it in title.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canephins View Post
    I wouldn't say blossom in the late 90's when the last game as a 62-7 playoff loss.
    For the most part. Put a prime Marino on some of those late '90s/early '00s team and the sky is the limit (though to be fair, we'd have to let some guys go to stay under the cap).
    Quote Quote