Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft back tracks. XB1 now without restrictions

1. -1
    Wort-wort-wort!!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Xbox LogoHalo LegendaryGalactic Empire medalPlaystation LogoNintendo Logo

Microsoft back tracks. XB1 now without restrictions

Microsoft has changed its policies regarding Xbox Oneís internet requirements, used game restrictions and more.
    Contrary to the details announced earlier this month, Microsoft has now confirmed news originally reported on Giant Bomb that Xbox One will not require an internet connection to play offline games or need to check in every 24 hours; instead, internet will only be required when initially setting up the console.
    Here the link:
    http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/06/19...-game-policies

Never goto the Library without your shotgun.
    Last edited by ROADRUNNER; 06-20-2013 at 12:37 AM.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: Microsoft back tracks. XB1 now with restrictions

This is a good thing. I am surprised they back tracked before a huge sales bomb. At least they didn't just plug their ears and yell as if they refuse to hear people complain.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Wort-wort-wort!!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Thanks / No Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AquaInferno View Post
    This is a good thing. I am surprised they back tracked before a huge sales bomb. At least they didn't just plug their ears and yell as if they refuse to hear people complain.
    Agreed. Though technically they were losing the in sales. Albeit projected sales. Sony was killing Microsoft in the pre-orders. So much so that Sony had to adjust their projected figures.

But I will now get an XB1 without hesitation now that they announced this. But I am still going to get a PS4 first though.

Never goto the Library without your shotgun.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Magic City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoTannehill 17Dolphins Homer

You guys can all be championing this but imo it weakens the xb1. Instead of having unique systems we will be left with indistinguishable clones.

The always on Internet would offer game devs another Avenue to improve the product. Without the security of knowing everyone is in the fold there is no incentive.

Meanwhile sticking with the physical disks over drm means that antiquated medium stays alive for a few more years.

Imo the damage has already with the folks that are outraged. I would have battened down the hatches and let the superior ecosystem win out in the end

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    mediocrity sucks

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Drum, New York
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: Microsoft back tracks. XB1 now without restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by trojanma View Post
    You guys can all be championing this but imo it weakens the xb1. Instead of having unique systems we will be left with indistinguishable clones.

The always on Internet would offer game devs another Avenue to improve the product. Without the security of knowing everyone is in the fold there is no incentive.

Meanwhile sticking with the physical disks over drm means that antiquated medium stays alive for a few more years.

Imo the damage has already with the folks that are outraged. I would have battened down the hatches and let the superior ecosystem win out in the end

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    LOL at always on internet improving anything. Good one.

Not a surprise at all. Said there was a good chance of this happening in another thread. Damage is already done though. **** off Microsoft. Still $100 dollars more which is what ****ed Sony up with the PS3 launch. Still inferior exclusive games.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Magic City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoTannehill 17Dolphins Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by R&R Express View Post
    LOL at always on internet improving anything. Good one.

Not a surprise at all. Said there was a good chance of this happening in another thread. Damage is already done though. **** off Microsoft. Still $100 dollars more which is what ****ed Sony up with the PS3 launch. Still inferior exclusive games.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
    You mean because your feeble imagination cant think of ways it means it can't happen?!!?

How about games with evolving AI based on data they pick up on how people play around the world. This can be applied to driving, sports and FPS games.

How about open ended worlds that are constantly changing or being added on thanks to an internet connection.( I cant find the title but there was a game that was planning on doing this)

I won't even mention the grandiose plan of offloading data to the cloud. This would offer limitless worlds and true MMRPG experience on the console.

Obviously you done NEED the internet connection all the time only when you play, but like I said before this was a carrot to game developers not necessarily consumers.
    Having the security that your consumer will definitely have the internet connection means it is safe for a game developer to invest resources in games that will exploit it.

This was a legitimately innovative idea and history will prove it right, the issue will be that Microsoft tried this too soon and possibly to suddenly. It was an over reach.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Wort-wort-wort!!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You mean because your feeble imagination cant think of ways it means it can't happen?!!?

How about games with evolving AI based on data they pick up on how people play around the world. This can be applied to driving, sports and FPS games.

How about open ended worlds that are constantly changing or being added on thanks to an internet connection.( I cant find the title but there was a game that was planning on doing this)

I won't even mention the grandiose plan of offloading data to the cloud. This would offer limitless worlds and true MMRPG experience on the console.

Obviously you done NEED the internet connection all the time only when you play, but like I said before this was a carrot to game developers not necessarily consumers.
    Having the security that your consumer will definitely have the internet connection means it is safe for a game developer to invest resources in games that will exploit it.

This was a legitimately innovative idea and history will prove it right, the issue will be that Microsoft tried this too soon and possibly to suddenly. It was an over reach.
    You know, you MIGHT be right. But again, the issue is those who can't afford, or connect, to the internet all the time. Believe it or not there ARE people who buy consoles and don't have the internet. And to just snub those players was wrong on Microsoft's part. I think it is bull**** I can't play Spartan-Ops in Halo 4 without being connected to the internet. I was REALLY pissed off about that.

Now if you REALLY want to make a console so that it is connected to the internet you need to address the REAL issue. And that is making high speed internet affordable to all. Believe it or not the Federal standard for an internet connection is dial up. When the standard should be high speed internet. They try to mandate this a couple of years ago. But it was defeated because, you guessed it, the companies were backing the right politicians to defeat the measure.

So like I said, you might be right, and I would agree. But you first have to make the internet affordable for EVERYONE before you roll something like this out.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    mediocrity sucks

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Drum, New York
    Thanks / No Thanks

No, there is nothing imaginative about it. There's nothing innovative about it. It's a money grab which has been used by PC developers for years. None of what you just posted has anything at all to do with an online only connection. Everything you just posted could be achieved by the people who optionally choose to stay connected. "Security" has nothing to do with anything. The only security they need is the millions of people connected to XBL and PSN. That number obviously isn't going anywhere. Giving people the option to go online doesn't change anything in your post, which I'll assume you already knew considering how obvious it was. There's a reason Microsoft got rid of it. It was incredibly stupid. Sony was swimming in dollar bills because of their incompetence. Fortunately for Sony, Microsoft is too stupid to learn from Sony's PS3 launch mistakes, like the $100 more for something most people couldn't give 2 ****s about.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    The Ghost

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R&R Express View Post
    No, there is nothing imaginative about it. There's nothing innovative about it. It's a money grab which has been used by PC developers for years. None of what you just posted has anything at all to do with an online only connection. Everything you just posted could be achieved by the people who optionally choose to stay connected. "Security" has nothing to do with anything. The only security they need is the millions of people connected to XBL and PSN. That number obviously isn't going anywhere. Giving people the option to go online doesn't change anything in your post, which I'll assume you already knew considering how obvious it was. There's a reason Microsoft got rid of it. It was incredibly stupid. Sony was swimming in dollar bills because of their incompetence. Fortunately for Sony, Microsoft is too stupid to learn from Sony's PS3 launch mistakes, like the $100 more for something most people couldn't give 2 ****s about.
    Plus, there is also the other issue of whether or not it's ok for the Xbox One to record everything going on in your life on the off chance that you tell the system to do something in exchange for possible potential innovation.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

The Contortionist: Language I: Intuition
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Bc...cFcJcoyqt1u2zg
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: Microsoft back tracks. XB1 now without restrictions

Or they can just provide us save data hosting with our $60/year fee that syncs this AI data when we do connect to the internet. With the option to turn downloaded human AI off for people who just want stock AI. That's the ultimate win win.
    Quote Quote