Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Whoa! Dion Simms compared to Anthony Gates !!!

1. -21
    Up and Comer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Asheville, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    PS4 ControllerTannehill 17Cam Wake 911972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by LDaniel7 View Post
    Spesh is rollin' some gold in this thread, lol.

LD
    I lol'd
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NBP81 View Post
    Cant there be two field destroying tight ends on the same roster? Is this a new rule? what are you talking about?
    Hear, hear!! Totally agree with you.Had a man crush on this guy and prayed that we'd take him, and was elated when he was. I think we got a great blocker ( by some experts the top rated TE blocker) and this kid will totally surprise with his catching ability. Can we say "red zone"?
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't see any of the fantastic player on film that everyone seems to be talking about in that highlight reel. I respect Polian, but Sims looks like a typical big lumbering guy. He may have slimmed down and timed well, but I don't see that in games so I'm very leery. I see a guy who has subpar burst and change of direction skills and virtually no vertical jump in the passing game. Sure, he may test well in the underwear Olympics, but when that contradicts what we see on tape, I'm going with the tape until the tape is proven incorrect in real football situations.

On the plus side, he definitely can block, and he does appear to have soft hands and can extend for a catch, which pairs well with his length. But, without a functional football vertical jump, he's going to have to box out every DB/LB for every catch. Anyone comparing him to Tyler Eifert is going to be dramatically disappointed.

Hey, I love combine metrics too, they help split hairs between players who seem similar on film. But, the greatest single predictor of success in the NFL is success in those things at the collegiate level. In other words, while great collegians may not become great NFL players, it's rare for a player who did not stand out in college to morph into a standout NFL player. There are exceptions, like the old Miami Dolphin Andra Franklin who was a blocking FB at Nebraska and became a feature RB in Miami, but those aren't common occurrences. Far more common are guys with great measurable who were above average but not really standouts in college that are busts in the NFL. I see Dion Sims as a blocking TE. Antonio Gates type athlete this is not.
    "I want guys who want to make an impact on and off the field. Good human beings. Guys who want to get better. Guys who want to improve. They want to be great, want to win. Those types of guys we can work with every day." --Joe Philbin
    - Defending the Read Option - What do you think?
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well... Antonio gates was undrafted, so his production was nil in college.....I think even though Sims was a 4th rounder his stock is higher coming into the league. Maybe not the athlete, but definitely more football ready
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Houston, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by justdev7 View Post
    He ran a 4.75 which at his size is pretty impressive. I don't know that I've seen that speed on the field though.

I a excited about how soft his hands are. At 6'6" 270lbs with a 35" beer an those soft hands he could make a great redzone weapon. And that is something we've been lacking for quite some time
    Not sure what kind of red zone threat he will be if he's got 35" beers! Sounds like he will be a bit tipsy!!
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    I like lamp

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    as long as he isn't compared to Clyde Gates i'm fine ;-)
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by justdev7 View Post
    He ran a 4.75 which at his size is pretty impressive. I don't know that I've seen that speed on the field though.

I a excited about how soft his hands are. At 6'6" 270lbs with a 35" beer an those soft hands he could make a great redzone weapon. And that is something we've been lacking for quite some time

Im interested in this 35" beer...where can i get one of those?
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Isnt Irelands fault that Keller was a bust signing though. Clearly on Parcells. .
    Rolling my eyes here. What's your point? You want to be a unique snowflake bashing every single move preemptively?
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    I don't see any of the fantastic player on film that everyone seems to be talking about in that highlight reel. I respect Polian, but Sims looks like a typical big lumbering guy. He may have slimmed down and timed well, but I don't see that in games so I'm very leery. I see a guy who has subpar burst and change of direction skills and virtually no vertical jump in the passing game. Sure, he may test well in the underwear Olympics, but when that contradicts what we see on tape, I'm going with the tape until the tape is proven incorrect in real football situations.

On the plus side, he definitely can block, and he does appear to have soft hands and can extend for a catch, which pairs well with his length. But, without a functional football vertical jump, he's going to have to box out every DB/LB for every catch. Anyone comparing him to Tyler Eifert is going to be dramatically disappointed.

Hey, I love combine metrics too, they help split hairs between players who seem similar on film. But, the greatest single predictor of success in the NFL is success in those things at the collegiate level. In other words, while great collegians may not become great NFL players, it's rare for a player who did not stand out in college to morph into a standout NFL player. There are exceptions, like the old Miami Dolphin Andra Franklin who was a blocking FB at Nebraska and became a feature RB in Miami, but those aren't common occurrences. Far more common are guys with great measurable who were above average but not really standouts in college that are busts in the NFL. I see Dion Sims as a blocking TE. Antonio Gates type athlete this is not.
    I agree with you.

The guy I saw at 280-285 lbs was not a guy that is interesting to me for the NFL.

I don't know what he's going to look like if he gets down to 260-265 lbs instead. He could look more explosive, more agile, etc. I don't know. At the Combine when he cut weight all the way down to 262, it certainly made him faster as he was able to go about 4.70 where on film he looks like a 4.80 guy. But it didn't help him score better on agility measures like the short shuttle (where a 4.52 to 4.58 is worse than some linemen) or the cone drill (7.16 to 7.36). His vertical was clearly better though, at 35 inches. But his broad jump was not explosive, at 9'4".

Thing that bothers me is that his run after catch and after-contact ability at the college level was dependent on his size...which at the COLLEGE level was "monstrous" at 6'5" and 280-285 lbs. That's why he could drag some tiny DBs for a few extra yards. But he didn't really break tackles, didn't really make guys miss or show special quickness. It was just pure size. So at the NFL level he's going to cut weight so he can be more fast and explosive (because he'd be lost in the NFL if he's as slow there as he was in college), and that's going to take away from the size advantage. Meanwhile, in the NFL pretty much everyone on average is about 10 lbs heavier than in college, if not more. And they're all probably an average of an inch taller. So that was already going to take away from his size advantage. He's going to get double whammied that way and the question is whether the increase in speed and explosiveness he gets from having dropped the weight will outweigh that.

I don't think it will.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Up and Comer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Asheville, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    PS4 ControllerTannehill 17Cam Wake 911972 Dolphins Logo
    I dont think we picked him up because we thought he was the next Antonio Gates, we grabbed because we had no other viable option as a blocking TE.
    Quote Quote