Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pennington at practice in Fins gear

1. -21
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Chad thinks the game cerebrally about as well as any QB we've had since Don't Strock. His problem was always one of not having the tools to make certain throws reliably. He lacked arm strength to throw the deep out to the wide side of the field, or the bomb without winding up and putting a lot of air under the ball. So, he checked down a lot when those throws weren't wide open.

He could easily call/teach a far more aggressive game for a strong armed QB with a quick release like Tannehill. Remember, we run a variant of the WCO, which Bill Walsh designed in Cincinnati specifically for a weak armed QB, and improved it in San Francisco for a QB with a less than stellar arm.

Pennington's short passing style suits the WCO, and he would likely feel very comfortable in it.

I'd love to see Pennington pursue coaching. But, like everyone else, he needs experience before he merits an NFL assistant coach position.
    "I want guys who want to make an impact on and off the field. Good human beings. Guys who want to get better. Guys who want to improve. They want to be great, want to win. Those types of guys we can work with every day." --Joe Philbin
    - Defending the Read Option - What do you think?
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Why did it have to be snakes?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by DZimmer000 View Post
    Still my hero after all these years!!!! Keep knocking 'em down Dan!!
    I'm here to tell the truth about top secret Air Force project BAR STOOL. Gamma ray radiation from the particle accelerator under Joe Robbie Stadium is real! Get out while you can! This bad football team is just a front for something far more sinister!
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Why did it have to be snakes?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Pennington understands how to play the position and is very intelligent as well as articulate. Regardless of whether or not you think he was a GOOD quarterback -- and he was certainly a limited one -- I do think he is the sort of person who could be an excellent coach and if he is actually interested in jumping into a position like that I think he would be an interesting addition to the staff.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo
    Adam Beasley ‏@AdamHBeasley now
    Philbin, on if Pennington might be here on more than a part-time basis: "I don't know about that ... He's a busy man, a family man."
    Im selling a club level ticket to the Dolphins v Raiders in London - will sell it for below face value. PM me if your interested.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    ihaveprettyfeet

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary Alberta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Chad Pennington go away!!
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mnphinfan View Post
    Please keep check down Chad away from Tannehill! We don't need someone in the building telling our young QB to always play it safe. Where the **** is Marino when you need him?
    I agree we need RT to attack the field a little more than the way Chad played, but Marino would be the worst QB coach EVER IMO. What Danny did, probably NO one else can do. He did so many things wrong so often you would think he was a rookie, but he found a way to make them work. He WILLED the ball to go where he wanted. Sometimes it looked like he TRIED to find the man double covered, so he could prove he could get it to him any way. The vast majority of his throws were "OH NO, good throw Danny" types of throws. He threw to windows that were just not there, yet some how he would get them there. That is NOT the kind of player you want teaching a young player.

Chad didn't have one tenth the talent that Danny had, but what talent Chad had he made the most of. Chad played better than he was, I am not so sure you can say that about Danny, too often Dan's ego got in his own way. I personally feel that Chad would be the better coach between the two. I know I will get flamed for this, but that is really the way I think it was.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Xbox Logo
Gift received at 07-03-2014, 03:24 PM from CallMeDaddyChevy Logo
Gift received at 06-24-2014, 08:43 PM from D0lphan72
Gift received at 01-14-2014, 08:29 PM from CalDolFan1014
Message: Checking to see if this really works.2013 Dolphins Logo
    I could have sworn pennington was with the jets, last years training camp???
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Xbox Logo
Gift received at 07-03-2014, 03:24 PM from CallMeDaddyChevy Logo
Gift received at 06-24-2014, 08:43 PM from D0lphan72
Gift received at 01-14-2014, 08:29 PM from CalDolFan1014
Message: Checking to see if this really works.2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    '72 Perfection!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    It makes perfect sense for Pennington to "break" into coaching.
    Yes. I would definitely welcome Pennington back as an intern quarterback coach. Our current QB guys will benefit greatly by Pennington's insights and experience.
    Any time you try to win everything, you must be willing to lose everything. Larry Csonka

Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Yippi ka yay mother******!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    montreal
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91
    Chad played the way he did because it was the only way for him to be effective. As a QB coach, I strongly doubt he'd try to limit Tannehill and mold him into CP2, instead trying to aggressively make the most of his arm and movement skills. CP is as football smart as they come. I think he'd be the perfect QB coach for Ryan actually
    Quote Quote