Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rishard Matthews

1. -11
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So does that mean some more people are starting to see why I questioned the wisdom of handing Brandon Gibson $3 million of signing bonus?
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    So does that mean some more people are starting to see why I questioned the wisdom of handing Brandon Gibson $3 million of signing bonus?
    Didnt understand it from the beginning either. The guy isn't a slot and we paid big $$$ to hartline and Wallace who will be our outside receivers. This past draft was wr rich and we neglected it. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see chad bumphis out perform Gibson in the slot from the get go. I see all the money we are giving hartline, Gibson, Patterson and Marshall and I can't keep wondering why that couldn't be worked to get Jennings. Wallace and Jennings on the outside supplemented with bailey, bess, Matthews and/or swope seems real nice to me
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Not 'starting' to see... I was always curious about the signing in as far as development, but I always considering it a 'system upgrade' over Bess.

I viewed it as a safe move to deepen the WR corps with some Vet presence, due to not knowing what would come from the draft and other undrafted FA's.

What I do like, and taking your GB analogy... is that the 4th spot is for a youngster who has athletic ability to a level where they want to take a shot. Additionally, I would not be surprised at them giving strong consideration to carrying 6 WR's. A lot depends on this potentially interesting development at FB. I'd much prefer going the route of H/Back / TE combos than pure FB's.

If you're right and Gibson starts sliding [and again, it's early days], then I think that speaks to not only Matthew's development but the others.
    Pat
    Offensive Coordinator
    www.londonblitz.com
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat-London View Post
    Not 'starting' to see... I was always curious about the signing in as far as development, but I always considering it a 'system upgrade' over Bess.

I viewed it as a safe move to deepen the WR corps with some Vet presence, due to not knowing what would come from the draft and other undrafted FA's.

What I do like, and taking your GB analogy... is that the 4th spot is for a youngster who has athletic ability to a level where they want to take a shot. Additionally, I would not be surprised at them giving strong consideration to carrying 6 WR's. A lot depends on this potentially interesting development at FB. I'd much prefer going the route of H/Back / TE combos than pure FB's.

If you're right and Gibson starts sliding [and again, it's early days], then I think that speaks to not only Matthew's development but the others.
    Only if they get into the games and actually perform well.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Only if they get into the games and actually perform well.
    Always have to produce to stick around!
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat-London View Post
    Always have to produce to stick around!
    Well what I mean is let's say your former 7th round pick DOES beat the guy to whom you just gave $3.3 million a year. Yes it's a positive for your 7th round pick, but it's also a negative for the guy to whom you gave a $9.8 million contract ($3 million of which is guaranteed). The only way to tell if you did more positive than negative is if the guy that ends up playing is actually any good.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That was my thinking all along also. You don't sign a guy who projects to be your #4 WR when he has limited upside even if your WR group is stacked. Contracts expire and guys will want a big contract. It always helps to have a young ascending player to give you leverage.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    Well what I mean is let's say your former 7th round pick DOES beat the guy to whom you just gave $3.3 million a year. Yes it's a positive for your 7th round pick, but it's also a negative for the guy to whom you gave a $9.8 million contract ($3 million of which is guaranteed). The only way to tell if you did more positive than negative is if the guy that ends up playing is actually any good.
    Regardless of that situation, (a 7th guy beating out a modestly paid FA WR) I think it was prudent by Ireland not to pin any of his hopes on any of our young WRs stepping it up and contributing. This is a direct reaction to the score of bodies we had in camp and later brought in and none of them really amounted to anything.
    "I didn't feel like we had to score," Tannehill said. "I had the mindset we were going to score."

Quote Quote  

9. -19
    HOF Pass Master

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Narnia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This is still off season training with no pads yes? Just saying ;-)
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    we shall see who is up for the task.i don't care what the persons last name is just as long as he puts his best on the field n wins the #3 or #4 spot
    Quote Quote