Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on TE Dion Sims

1. -1
    The Oracle

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks

Opinions on TE Dion Sims

It seems now that Egnew is starting to play (stunning that it might take a 2nd year for a college player to become a NFL player). With Clay and Keller that gives us 3 TEs. And 3 pretty fast, pass catching TEs.

Where does this leave Dion sims and what is the story on him?

EsPN had him as a pass catching TE. The NFL channel had him as a blocking TE.

At 285 pounds he should be able to move people. But is he heading for the practice squad for a season? If Egnew and/or Clay can replace Keller next season, Dion sims can slip into the rotation at TE.

Analysis

Strengths

Has a massive frame, which makes him an inviting targets for quarterbacks to throw to. Soft hands and who catches the ball off of his frame. Uses his size to shield defenders from making a play on the ball. Tough to tackle with the ball in his hands, falls forward. Gains speed in the open field. Understands positioning and shows nimble feet as a run blocker. Good foot quickness as a pass blocker. Weaknesses

Has trouble adjusting to difficult throws. Stiff in the hips, and not overly flexible. Slow to get off the line of scrimmage, takes time to get out of his stance. Not a mauling blocker like his size would indicate. Hands are often outside of the frame of the defender. Lunges at his blocking assignments. Will have his head down when blocking. NFL Comparison

Scott Chandler Bottom Line

Sims is an intriguing prospect mostly due to the open field speed that he possesses on a 6-foot-6, 285-pound frame. Sims is a good pass blocker, and has a soft pair of hands. However, he doesn't always use his size in the run game, and he struggles to bring in the difficult catch. He will likely be a mid-round selection.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profil...ims?id=2540200

Sims did well as a receiver in 2012, but he'll probably be more of a blocking tight end in the NFL.

Blocking:
    NFL prototype: Heath Miller, Steelers
    1. Dion Sims
    2. Travis Kelce
    3. Zach Ertz
    4. Nick Kasa
    5. Tyler Eifert
    6. Gavin Escobar
    7. Ryan Otten
    8. Jordan Reed

Recap: Blocking ability is still important for NFL tight ends; not just in the ground game, but in pass protection. Teams like their tight ends to have the ability to help tackles when they're going against an elite edge-rusher. The top blocking tight end in the 2013 class is Alabama's Michael Williams, but the tight ends above are more well-rounded and are higher-rated consensus prospects than Williams.

The best blocker of the group above is Sims. He was a strong edge-blocker for Spartans running back Le'Veon Bell this season. Sims is strong at the point of attack and has a habit of riding defenders out of the play. He can tag-team with an offensive tackle to blast open running lanes. Sims definitely has the capacity to be a tough blocking tight end who will be an asset in short-yardage and goal line situations.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013positionreviewTE.php
    Dion Sims, 6-5/285

Tight End

Michigan State

Dion Sims Scouting Report
    By Charlie Campbell

Strengths: Very strong
    Physical
    Excellent hands
    Superb run-blocker
    Big target
    Attacks the middle seam
    Leaping ability
    Good route-running
    Red-zone weapon
    Asset in short-yardage, goal-line situations
    Tough to bring down
    Strong drive-blocker
    Dangerous seam tight end

Weaknesses: Fast enough for the NFL?
    A Big Ten plodder?
    Should slim down
    Lacks good speed
    May not be a three-down tight end
    Only one season as a starter

Summary: Sims is a big-bodied tight end who is perfect for a smash-mouth offense. He is a powerful blocker in the ground game and has surprising pass-receiving ability. Sims had a quality junior season and decided to enter the 2013 NFL Draft, but he could have easily improved his draft stock if he had returned for his senior season.

The Michigan State offense struggled to pass the ball well in 2012, but Sims was one of the Spartans who actually stood out in the passing game. The junior started out the season extremely well and was the team's leading receiver before missing three games in October with an ankle injury(he had a broken hand the last half of the season).Sims totaled 36 receptions for 475 yards and two touchdowns in 2012. He was mainly a backup for Michigan State the before, but still caught 12 passes for 99 yards and three scores.

Sims looks like a nice tight end for an NFL running offense. He is an excellent blocker at the point of attack. Sims has a habit of riding defenders out of the play and can tag-team with an offensive tackle to blast open running lanes. Sims can also hit blocks at the second level to spring his back. He definitely has the capacity to be a tough blocking tight end who will be an asset in short-yardage and goal-line situations.

Sims has good hands as a receiver and presents a big target for his quarterback. He has reliable hands and is very good working the middle seam. Sims also did well as an outlet receiver in the flat. The powerful tight end is tough to bring down and can carry defenders on his back for extra yards. Sims does not have elite speed or explosiveness, so he won't be play like Rob Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham, Vernon Davis or Aaron Hernandez.

Sims could be a good tight end in the NFL as a part of a stable. He probably won't be on the field in the 2-minute drill or in passing situations. However, Sims could be a good contributor as a blocker and receiver. He looks like a quality pick who could go on the second day of the 2013 NFL Draft or early on the third day.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Delaware
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Can't see any reason we won't be keeping all 4 TE if Egnew begins to improve. Clay really isn't a TE, he is more of a FB/TE hybrid. Sims is needed since the other 3 "TE's" can't block very well.
    It is odd that I got this name in 2004 and it is still relevant to this day. Prove me wrong TS!
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: Opinions on TE Dion Sims

I think clay and egnew are likely competing for one roster spot. If both play well, I could see us cutting lane and going without a true fb.

I see sims as a cheaper replacement for fasano.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Clay has some experience at fullback in that wacky offense he played in, in college. Will be interesting to see how the staff decides to make it's cuts.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Money is Power

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Putting Dion Sims on the practice squad would be a major error on the Dolphins. He would be snatched up so quickand there goes a wasted pick.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    The Oracle

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hippiephin View Post

Agree 100%

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dol-phan007 View Post
    Putting Dion Sims on the practice squad would be a major error on the Dolphins. He would be snatched up so quickand there goes a wasted pick.
    Agree 110%

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xXwarXx View Post
    Clay has some experience at fullback in that wacky offense he played in, in college. Will be interesting to see how the staff decides to make it's cuts.
    Plus, he would be a awesome pass catching FB, very hard to cover.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    why not 4 te's?
    "I didn't feel like we had to score," Tannehill said. "I had the mindset we were going to score."

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hippiephin View Post
    I think clay and egnew are likely competing for one roster spot. If both play well, I could see us cutting lane and going without a true fb.

THIS !!! Exactly as worded. Clay and Egnew are both behind Sims because he is the only one that can block. Zero chance he would be put on PS, he would be poached same day. If Egnew makes the 53 and can do anything on STs I think Clay is the odd man out.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    why not 4 te's?
    I see 10 spots being used for FB, TE, and WR combined.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Dolphins Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    why not 4 te's?
    Well that makes things interesting.

Every time I see a stupid post I remind myself we don't have this guy as a fan
    Quote Quote