Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 50

Thread: Obama: "Nobody is listening to your telephone calls

  1. -21
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Nov 2004
    Posts:
    13,219
    vCash:
    9511
    Loc:
    Boca Raton
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Why are talk radio listeners always angry?

    Can you guys get some new material?
    Quote Quote  

  2. -22
    cdz12250's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2004
    Posts:
    980
    vCash:
    1445
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Obama: "Nobody is listening to your telephone calls

    Question:

    Are you willing to give up some of your privacy by allowing a computer to record the patterns of your international phone calls, realizing the potential for abuse, in order not to have some doctrinaire a-hole, for example, fly another airliner into another building?

    Record away as far as I'm concerned. The courts seem to think that the Fourth Amendment issues are at least fairly debatable:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSA_war...Court_findings
    Quote Quote  

  3. -23
    TrojanFin's Avatar
    Make It Rain!

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    166
    vCash:
    1152
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    @Death Star - Those that listen to talk radio are often (not always) angry because we know what's going on out there. It's not the drivel spoon fed to us by the MMM or the cutesy infotainment that some deem news as found on the Daily Show. The radio show hosts actually delve deeper in the issues than one can ever hope to get from supposed "real" journalists that work for the networks. Unfortunately, what we find out about our various elected officials is often disgusting and the legislation they pass is equally garbage usually resulting in more taxes and a more bloated government that protects the interests of the few.

    As for just giving the government the means to do whatever it wants as long as the ends justify the means, I have a quote for you from one of our famous forefathers.

    "He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither." - Benjamin Franklin

    There is a reason we have a Constitution. It's not just some old document to studied in history classes, but it protects the citizens of this country from tyrannical rule and abuse from those that govern us. There is a reason that we have a president and not a king or a dictator. So I say no to just giving upour privacy. Maybe you would like to revisit the whole SOPA thing or maybe and implement a killswitch on your internet (ala Iran) or you like drones flying above your head, but I don't. I am not a prisoner/criminal and nor should I be treated like one. It's laziness on the part of the government to not do a better job tracking down those that are truly a threat to this country rather than collecting info on everyone.

    As far as the whole Bush started it... finger pointing crap. I like this guy's response of BurtonM in the comments section from the National Post article on the subject:

    "It is true the program started under Bush but at that time it was limited to suspected individuals and the secret court (FISC) warranted each case.

    Obama has expanded the program into a dragnet, basically just collecting everything without warrants, analyzing it and storing it at massive data centers to use in case of future terrorist threats emerge (or against groups that oppose him like the tea party)

    bush was no conservative he was a RINO but he was nowhere near as tyrannical as Obama has become."

    http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/06...roken-promise/

    That's my two cents.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -24
    jared81's Avatar
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    4,850
    vCash:
    1097
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I wonder if the government can see DS fapping himself to his Obama poster?
    Quote Quote  

  5. -25
    jared81's Avatar
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    4,850
    vCash:
    1097
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanFin View Post
    @Death Star - Those that listen to talk radio are often (not always) angry because we know what's going on out there. It's not the drivel spoon fed to us by the MMM or the cutesy infotainment that some deem news as found on the Daily Show. The radio show hosts actually delve deeper in the issues than one can ever hope to get from supposed "real" journalists that work for the networks. Unfortunately, what we find out about our various elected officials is often disgusting and the legislation they pass is equally garbage usually resulting in more taxes and a more bloated government that protects the interests of the few.

    As for just giving the government the means to do whatever it wants as long as the ends justify the means, I have a quote for you from one of our famous forefathers.

    "He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither." - Benjamin Franklin

    There is a reason we have a Constitution. It's not just some old document to studied in history classes, but it protects the citizens of this country from tyrannical rule and abuse from those that govern us. There is a reason that we have a president and not a king or a dictator. So I say no to just giving upour privacy. Maybe you would like to revisit the whole SOPA thing or maybe and implement a killswitch on your internet (ala Iran) or you like drones flying above your head, but I don't. I am not a prisoner/criminal and nor should I be treated like one. It's laziness on the part of the government to not do a better job tracking down those that are truly a threat to this country rather than collecting info on everyone.

    As far as the whole Bush started it... finger pointing crap. I like this guy's response of BurtonM in the comments section from the National Post article on the subject:

    "It is true the program started under Bush but at that time it was limited to suspected individuals and the secret court (FISC) warranted each case.

    Obama has expanded the program into a dragnet, basically just collecting everything without warrants, analyzing it and storing it at massive data centers to use in case of future terrorist threats emerge (or against groups that oppose him like the tea party)

    bush was no conservative he was a RINO but he was nowhere near as tyrannical as Obama has become."

    http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/06...roken-promise/

    That's my two cents.
    I wouldn't worry about some libs opinion of talk radio or fox. They don't listen or watch. Their only exposure to it is when they go on their far left sites like media matters and find their skewed opinions. The losers on media matters listen to talk radio all day everyday and try to take everything that is said out of context.
    Last edited by jared81; 06-08-2013 at 09:34 AM.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -26
    SkapePhin's Avatar
    Brady Slayer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2002
    Posts:
    19,318
    vCash:
    22392
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Obama: "Nobody is listening to your telephone calls

    Quote Originally Posted by cdz12250 View Post
    Question:

    Are you willing to give up some of your privacy by allowing a computer to record the patterns of your international phone calls, realizing the potential for abuse, in order not to have some doctrinaire a-hole, for example, fly another airliner into another building?

    Record away as far as I'm concerned. The courts seem to think that the Fourth Amendment issues are at least fairly debatable:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSA_war...Court_findings
    There's a wonderful line from Senator Frank Church in the 1970s: "Th[e National Security Agency's] capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything: telephone conversations, telegrams, it doesnít matter. There would be no place to hide. [If a dictator ever took over, the N.S.A.] could enable it to impose total tyranny, and there would be no way to fight back."
    FIRE FAILBIN
    Quote Quote  

  7. -27
    rob19's Avatar
    Soul Rebel

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    7,262
    vCash:
    7125
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanFin View Post
    As far as the whole Bush started it... finger pointing crap. I like this guy's response of BurtonM in the comments section from the National Post article on the subject:

    "It is true the program started under Bush but at that time it was limited to suspected individuals and the secret court (FISC) warranted each case.

    Obama has expanded the program into a dragnet, basically just collecting everything without warrants, analyzing it and storing it at massive data centers to use in case of future terrorist threats emerge (or against groups that oppose him like the tea party)
    Please.

    Here's an article from 2005:

    WASHINGTON, Dec. 15 - Months after the Sept. 11 attacks, President Bush secretly authorized the National Security Agency to eavesdrop on Americans and others inside the United States to search for evidence of terrorist activity without the court-approved warrants ordinarily required for domestic spying, according to government officials.

    Under a presidential order signed in 2002, the intelligence agency has monitored the international telephone calls and international e-mail messages of hundreds, perhaps thousands, of people inside the United States without warrants over the past three years in an effort to track possible "dirty numbers" linked to Al Qaeda, the officials said. The agency, they said, still seeks warrants to monitor entirely domestic communications.

    The previously undisclosed decision to permit some eavesdropping inside the country without court approval was a major shift in American intelligence-gathering practices, particularly for the National Security Agency, whose mission is to spy on communications abroad. As a result, some officials familiar with the continuing operation have questioned whether the surveillance has stretched, if not crossed, constitutional limits on legal searches.

    "This is really a sea change," said a former senior official who specializes in national security law. "It's almost a mainstay of this country that the N.S.A. only does foreign searches."

    Nearly a dozen current and former officials, who were granted anonymity because of the classified nature of the program, discussed it with reporters for The New York Times because of their concerns about the operation's legality and oversight.

    According to those officials and others, reservations about aspects of the program have also been expressed by Senator John D. Rockefeller IV, the West Virginia Democrat who is the vice chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, and a judge presiding over a secret court that oversees intelligence matters. Some of the questions about the agency's new powers led the administration to temporarily suspend the operation last year and impose more restrictions, the officials said.

    The Bush administration views the operation as necessary so that the agency can move quickly to monitor communications that may disclose threats to the United States, the officials said. Defenders of the program say it has been a critical tool in helping disrupt terrorist plots and prevent attacks inside the United States.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/16/po...gram.html?_r=0

    ITT, people who want to bash Obama for this & at the same time not feel like an idiot for voting for Bush twice.
    --

    I'm no Obama fan & I'm I've been talking about this NSA thing for months now, but I can't stand the partisan hackery being displayed here.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -28
    phins_4_ever's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2008
    Posts:
    3,885
    vCash:
    19533
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cdz12250 View Post
    Question:

    Are you willing to give up some of your privacy by allowing a computer to record the patterns of your international phone calls, realizing the potential for abuse, in order not to have some doctrinaire a-hole, for example, fly another airliner into another building?

    Record away as far as I'm concerned. The courts seem to think that the Fourth Amendment issues are at least fairly debatable:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSA_war...Court_findings
    I would not give up my privacy for anything.
    Further, despite all this 'collecting data', eves dropping etc there still will be terrorist attacks (see Boston). This whole notion "give up some or all of your privacy for safety" is nothing but a scape goat for 'control'. Only the weak and scared fools fall for it.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

    "You may think that you are some kind of god to these people. But we both know what you really are."
    "What's that? A criminal?"
    "Worse. A politician."
    Source: Under The Dome
    Quote Quote  

  9. -29
    SkapePhin's Avatar
    Brady Slayer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2002
    Posts:
    19,318
    vCash:
    22392
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I have a question for those who do not mind PRISM...

    The Xbox One (the next entertainment system from Microsoft, the NSA's first partner in this PRISM deal) comes installed with an "always on" feature and the Kinect, which is essentially a video camera and sensor that receives visual, audio and kinetic data from everything going on in the room. The "always on" feature requires that the xbox MUST be connected to the internet in order to function. If you go more than 24 hours without it being connected, you cannot play games on it or do anything else with it.

    Now just imagine what kind of data the NSA could pick up with software and hardware like this. They essentially have a live stream into your living room. Would you be OK with THAT level of privacy intrusion?

    Don't be naive, they WILL collect this kind of data if it is available.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -30
    Buddy's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2004
    Posts:
    3,622
    vCash:
    13377
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Re: Obama: "Nobody is listening to your telephone calls

    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    I would not give up my privacy for anything.
    Further, despite all this 'collecting data', eves dropping etc there still will be terrorist attacks (see Boston). This whole notion "give up some or all of your privacy for safety" is nothing but a scape goat for 'control'. Only the weak and scared fools fall for it.
    We don't always agree on everything but you are absolutely spot on here. I am in total agreement.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Fidel Castro mocks Obama, calls him "stupid"
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-29-2011, 07:21 PM
  2. Rand Paul Calls Obama Slams of BP "Un-American"
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-22-2010, 01:39 AM
  3. Obama calls America "arrogant"
    By jared81 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 04-12-2009, 10:20 PM
  4. Obama Says His Critics Havenít Been Listening
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-09-2008, 10:32 PM
  5. Bush: U.S. Not Listening to Domestic Calls
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-16-2006, 12:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •