Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: House Speaker John Boehner: NSA Leaker a ‘Traitor’

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

House Speaker John Boehner: NSA Leaker a ‘Traitor’

House Speaker John Boehner today called NSA leaker Edward Snowden a “traitor” who put Americans at risk by releasing classified information to the media.
    “He’s a traitor,” the highest ranking Republican in the House of Representatives said in an extensive interview with ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos. “The disclosure of this information puts Americans at risk. It shows our adversaries what our capabilities are. And it’s a giant violation of the law.”
    Boehner endorsed President Obama’s characterization of two programs, which allow the NSA to gather information about phone calls made in the U.S. as well as information on foreign suspects collected from major internet companies, as critical to the government’s ability to fight terrorism. He said that there are “clear safeguards” built into the programs to protect Americans.
    “The president outlined last week that these were important national security programs to help keep Americans safe, and give us tools to fight the terrorist threat that we face,” Boehner said. “The president also outlined that there are appropriate safeguards in place to make sure that there’s no snooping, if you will, on Americans here at home.”
    Snowden, a 29-year-old contractor with the National Security Agency, admitted that he was the source of several leaks of top secret NSA documents to the British paper, The Guardian, and the Washington Post

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...ker-a-traitor/
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Every politician who supports an unlimited spying program inside the US is a traitor. I don't care what party you belong to. Boehner is one of the traitors.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You may think that you are some kind of god to these people. But we both know what you really are."
    "What's that? A criminal?"
    "Worse. A politician."
    Source: Under The Dome
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I knew this was coming. They know they can't kill him right now. That would wake more people up. Instead they'll try and destroy his character. I won't be surprised if fake information starts getting reported about him a la Enemy of the State. There's a reason why things like this are in the movies. Subconsciously it makes people believe these types of things only happen in the movies:

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Teddy Westside

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So much for the Whistleblower Protection Act. The same people that put the policy in place are going to sweep it aside for vengeance, not justice.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    No matter our feelings on the issue, he's right and like Bradley Manning will be tried. If it takes as long as Mannings whose trial started this month, Snowden won't be tried until 2016. Maybe sooner in absentia if he insists on remiaining out of the country and a country refuses to deport. Anyone who takes part in any form of civil disobedience should know their are legal consequences. But unlike Manning's military court trial, fortunately for Snowden he will be facing a jury of his peers with possible results of jury nullification, not guilty, hung jury.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog 88 View Post
    So much for the Whistleblower Protection Act. The same people that put the policy in place are going to sweep it aside for vengeance, not justice.
    Expect under the Patriot Act and its later 'upgrades' this is not illegal making the WPA only applicable if there was an abuse of this power, but have to distinguish this is an abuse and not a use of power given.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finomenal View Post
    I knew this was coming. They know they can't kill him right now. That would wake more people up. Instead they'll try and destroy his character. I won't be surprised if fake information starts getting reported about him a la Enemy of the State. There's a reason why things like this are in the movies. Subconsciously it makes people believe these types of things only happen in the movies:

Ever seen the show Person of Interest?
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eshlemon View Post
    No matter our feelings on the issue, he's right and like Bradley Manning will be tried. If it takes as long as Mannings whose trial started this month, Snowden won't be tried until 2016. Maybe sooner in absentia if he insists on remiaining out of the country and a country refuses to deport. Anyone who takes part in any form of civil disobedience should know their are legal consequences. But unlike Manning's military court trial, fortunately for Snowden he will be facing a jury of his peers with possible results of jury nullification, not guilty, hung jury.

I like to see one of these contracts. I am sure these people signed somewhat a non-disclosure agreement. But I am sure in that type of business they also signed a contract or laid an oat "in the interest of the United States of America" or something to that extend. Though I sign an oat nobody could ever ask me to shoot the President and I have to comply and shut up. In my opinion that would not be in the interest of my country or its citizens. If I go public with that order any lawyer could get me off.

Is it really legal? As far as I know these votes were taken under classified sessions. Just because something is classified and voted on does not make it legal.

The current congressional oat is:
    I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.
    Collecting private data on everybody certainly violates not only the Constitution but also the phrase
    against all enemies, foreign and domestic
    unless Congress deems everybody an enemy.

Essentially "we the people" elect Congress to represent us. Having decisions like that being made in 'private' withholds important information for every voter which could and should influence its decision in an election. We are basically electing people and then they can do whatever they want to as long it says "classified".

And I am positive that the Patriot Act, as horrific this document is, does not say "collect data on everybody". I would rather say that there might be a loophole. If that would have been a pub lic vote then why the fuzz over "Snowden gave away classified information and helped our enemies". BS. They are embarrassed because they are caught with their pants down.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    I like to see one of these contracts. I am sure these people signed somewhat a non-disclosure agreement. But I am sure in that type of business they also signed a contract or laid an oat "in the interest of the United States of America" or something to that extend. Though I sign an oat nobody could ever ask me to shoot the President and I have to comply and shut up. In my opinion that would not be in the interest of my country or its citizens. If I go public with that order any lawyer could get me off.

Is it really legal? As far as I know these votes were taken under classified sessions. Just because something is classified and voted on does not make it legal.

The current congressional oat is:

Collecting private data on everybody certainly violates not only the Constitution but also the phrase unless Congress deems everybody an enemy.

Essentially "we the people" elect Congress to represent us. Having decisions like that being made in 'private' withholds important information for every voter which could and should influence its decision in an election. We are basically electing people and then they can do whatever they want to as long it says "classified".

And I am positive that the Patriot Act, as horrific this document is, does not say "collect data on everybody". I would rather say that there might be a loophole. If that would have been a pub lic vote then why the fuzz over "Snowden gave away classified information and helped our enemies". BS. They are embarrassed because they are caught with their pants down.
    I would be shocked also if a contractor with the NSA didn't have rather explicit details on repercussions for unauthorized disclosures of any information, classified or not.

Whether explicit or a loophole, not being illegal removes him from part of the WPA.

Most likely IMO the DOJ won't pursue a charge for this exposure of a national defense program that helps our enemies but as those involved with Guantamano Bay will definitely face a charge of leaking classified information. And possibly used as a means for entice him to come home and face trial for leaking classified information, plead guilty to leak and won't be charged for treason.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    Ever seen the show Person of Interest?
    No. The shows I watch are on AMC, FX, Showtime, or HBO. Is Person of Interest any good?
    Quote Quote