Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rookie Tannehill 45.1 QBR struggles in shotgun,Sanchez disasterous with 19.2 QBR

1. -1
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks

Rookie Tannehill 45.1 QBR struggles in shotgun,Sanchez disasterous with 19.2 QBR

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...e-from-shotgun

By James Walker

The New York Jets and Miami Dolphins played conservative on offense for long stretches last season. Neither team ran wide-open, pass-heavy offenses due to protecting quarterbacks Mark Sanchez and Ryan Tannehill.

But both quarterbacks will be relied on more in 2013. Sanchez, if he wins the starting job, will be playing in an aggressive West Coast scheme under first-year offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg. Tannehill has much better weapons and will throw more due impressive free-agent acquisitions such as tight end Dustin Keller and receivers Mike Wallace andBrandon Gibson.

With that said, one area where both AFC East quarterbacks must improve in passing out the shotgun formation. According to ESPN Stats and Information, Tannehill and Sanchez were ranked 31st and 34th, respectively, in completion percentage from the shotgun. Tannehill completed just 57 percent of his passes from the formation with seven touchdowns and nine interceptions, while Sanchez completed 55.8 percent of his passes with seven touchdowns and seven interceptions.

Tannehill lined up in the shotgun 337 times last season. That is more than Super Bowl-winning quarterback Joe Flacco (315), Robert Griffin III (302), Ben Roethlisberger (260) and other notables. But with little weapons, Tannehill didn't have much success. His Total Quarterback Rating was 45.1 from the shotgun formation. Nine of Tannehillís 13 interceptions in 2012 also were a result from lining up in the shotgun, which must improve.

Sanchez was even more of a disaster when he didnít line up directly under center. His QBR from the shotgun was 19.2, which was the second-lowest rating in the NFL. Sanchez also didnít have many weapons to work with and averaged just 5.88 yards per attempt from the shotgun.

Both the Jets and Dolphins will run West Coast offenses this season aimed at pushing the pace and scoring points. Thriving in the shotgun is an important piece to the puzzle, especially on third downs. Keep an eye on the progress of Sanchez and Tannehill playing in that formation this year.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wheatland, WY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Gears of War tagPlaystation LogoCam Wake 91PS4 Controller2013 Dolphins Logo
    Well lets hope that now that Ryan has some weapons that this stat will improve for the better.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would have never guessed we used the shotgun that much.But it is part of the WCO.It also is part of the hurry up offense which I expect the phins to use alot more this season.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    In Foro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Homestead, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper1016 View Post
    Well lets hope that now that Ryan has some weapons that this stat will improve for the better.

Exactly. T-Hill will be much improved with the weapons around him. Let's not forget he was a rookie last season. Stats say that Peyton Manning had a similar rookie season.

T-Hill is an amazing athlete. He bounced back exceptionally well from the frontal assult from the first game last season (Texans). Peyton's first team he played against in his rookie season was Miami, and he took a beating. I'm only comparing the stats of the two. To compare them as athlete/Quarterbacks would be comparing apples and oranges.

Coach Philbin knew from the beginning that the team as a whole was not up to his idea of a champion team. And on a side note ... Coach Philbin could be the best coach the team ever had, next to Shula. And he was the team's best.

I think I know a little about the football sport along with the psychology of people (self acclamed expert). I'm sure most agree that we like what we see so far.

As a Commodity Futures trader, I've learned to trust my eyes, not the news or opinions. The same with our beloved team. I trust what I see. Not the ill-fated opinions of an "expert". It's amazing how those experts are paid for their opinions. Want the un-biased truth? Trust your eyes.

[S][T][O][R][M]
    Last edited by [S][T][O][R][M]; 06-13-2013 at 02:10 AM.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well if we run much of the zone read the shotgun would take away from that. The thing the read does is slow down the rush in non shotgun formations.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I made a thread on his QBR a while ago, the numbers are a little off because they are from like 14 games into the season but compared to other rookies he comes in at number 6 since 2008.

```````````````````````PASS ` RUN `QBR
    1. john beck, ATL`````````82.3` -4.9`` 74.1
    2. Robert Griffin III, WSH```67.3 ` 10.6` 73.6
    3. Andrew Luck, IND```````63.0` 22.2` 71.6
    4. Russell Wilson, SEA`````65.4` 12.1` 65.3
    5. Cam Newton, CAR``````65.8` 24.7` 55.0
    6. Ryan Tannehill, MIA`````41.7` 0.9`` 49.7

Chad Henne, MIA```````` 56.5` -0.6` 51.3
    Mark Sanchez, NYJ ```````21.7` 3.5` 31.6

Weeden was pretty terrible coming in at 26.6, good for second to last just above Sanchize in 2012.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    In Foro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Homestead, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_miami View Post
    I made a thread on his QBR a while ago, the numbers are a little off because they are from like 14 games into the season but compared to other rookies he comes in at number 6 since 2008.

```````````````````````PASS ` RUN `QBR
    1. john beck, ATL`````````82.3` -4.9`` 74.1
    2. Robert Griffin III, WSH```67.3 ` 10.6` 73.6
    3. Andrew Luck, IND```````63.0` 22.2` 71.6
    4. Russell Wilson, SEA`````65.4` 12.1` 65.3
    5. Cam Newton, CAR``````65.8` 24.7` 55.0
    6. Ryan Tannehill, MIA`````41.7` 0.9`` 49.7

Chad Henne, MIA```````` 56.5` -0.6` 51.3
    Mark Sanchez, NYJ ```````21.7` 3.5` 31.6

Weeden was pretty terrible coming in at 26.6, good for second to last just above Sanchize in 2012.

Hello Roy, thanks for the stats.

In consideration of Luck, he had substantial receivers on his team, better than us at the time.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Off the shoulder of Orion
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Maybe you should include in your title the words "Last Year" or "Rookie QB". Also it should state that, "Sanchez continues his substandard play.
    "It happens all the time," Taylor said. "It's not an exact science and personnel guys aren't the end-all, be-all. " Jason Taylor,2011
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Special Teams Lunatic

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Pond, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by [S][T][O][R][M] View Post
    Exactly. T-Hill will be much improved with the weapons around him. Let's not forget he was a rookie last season. Stats say that Peyton Manning had a similar rookie season.

T-Hill is an amazing athlete. He bounced back exceptionally well from the frontal assult from the first game last season (Texans). Peyton's first team he played against in his rookie season was Miami, and he took a beating. I'm only comparing the stats of the two. To compare them as athlete/Quarterbacks would be comparing apples and oranges.

Coach Philbin knew from the beginning that the team as a whole was not up to his idea of a champion team. And on a side note ... Coach Philbin could be the best coach the team ever had, next to Shula. And he was the team's best.

I think I know a little about the football sport along with the psychology of people (self acclamed expert). I'm sure most agree that we like what we see so far.

As a Commodity Futures trader, I've learned to trust my eyes, not the news or opinions. The same with our beloved team. I trust what I see. Not the ill-fated opinions of an "expert". It's amazing how those experts are paid for their opinions. Want the un-biased truth? Trust your eyes.

[S][T][O][R][M]
    You. With the optimism and ballsy, confident analysis.

I like your style.

And...I've been thinking the same thing about Philbin. Although I admittedly did so a lot more quietly.
    "If foot fetish videos of your wife surface online, and the voice of the cameraman sounds like you, just admit that it was you ... because the alternative is that someone else was filming foot fetish videos of your wife, and I'm pretty sure that's worse." - Bill Simmons's enduring lesson to Rex Ryan.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill's stats out of the shotgun are pretty irrelevant to me. While I'm not out there anointing him a top 10 QB or anything yet, I think it's virtually impossible to have halfway decent results out of the gun with a receiving/TE corps who struggle to get open. Plenty of offenses have sub-standard o-lines and still manage to play OK out of the gun, but I doubt any NFL Qb could make hay with Hartline, Bess, Nannee/Gaffney, Fasano when the defense knows the pass is coming.

I would be a little critical of the coaches for calling so many shotgun plays when they clearly weren't productive. On the upside, it's given Tannehill a very well-rounded education for the future to have been exposed to such a full menu of plays and formations in his rookie year.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - S. Beckett
    Quote Quote