Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: A Question of STATS?

  1. -21
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2009
    Posts:
    1,517
    vCash:
    3938
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I know it's a little different because I'm giving a college football example, but going into the 2007 draft Calvin Johnson at Georgia Tech had almost the exact numbers as Dwayne Jarrett at USC, but to most people it was clear that Johnson was a much better player. To give a recent NFL example Hakeem Nicks had 100 targets, 53 receptions for 692 yards and three touchdowns last year, while Brandon Gibson had 82 targets, 51 receptions for 691 yards and 5 touchdowns. Most people will tell you that Nicks without doubt is the better player despite having similar numbers.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -22
    NY8123's Avatar
    Sophisticated Redneck

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2008
    Posts:
    12,306
    vCash:
    10439
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jim Brown didn't need stats to be good, he just out played everyone on the field for ten years. Barry Sanders didn't need a great line to be great, he just made everyone on the field miss once or twice a game for large chunks of yards. Walter Payton didn't need either and blended a little of both to be great.

    All three have similar stats yet uniquely different traits, Barry was a finesse runner, Brown was a brute, Payton was a little of both. Stats only leave you with numbers to interpret and yes stats can be tied to team performances but so is greatness, the other half of the argument is the fact that these guys elevated their respective teams above and beyond what they would have been if an average player had taken their roster spot. All those players lead their teams in some capacity that was more than just tangibles.

    To say using only stats is wrong, is as shortsighted as saying stats mean everything. Like anything in time you have to try and collect all the facts, weigh all the data (stats included) and reach a logical conclusion based on your findings. The likely hood of a player who amasses huge stats to be considered great is much higher than a guy with lesser stats simply due to the fact that numbers are a direct measure, leadership, poise, competitiveness etc...are traits and hard to quantify so by default play less into the arguments unless they are paired with stats.

    To make a great player you have to have tangibles (stats and other measurable) and intangibles (leadership, elevation, competitiveness and other unmeasurable) and when you pair them both up you get greatness but only if you pair both up do you get greatness, you cannot be great with only tangibles and you cannot be great with only intangibles, it takes both to equal greatness.
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

    Quote Quote  

  3. -23
    Geforce's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2005
    Posts:
    8,400
    vCash:
    6479
    Loc:
    O-town
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nnamdi Ashomugha in his prime with the Raiders is a perfect example of the best player not having the best stats. Teams just didn't throw his way and thus he rarely had opportunities to make plays.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -24
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2006
    Posts:
    12,149
    vCash:
    8406
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by Geforce View Post
    Nnamdi Ashomugha in his prime with the Raiders is a perfect example of the best player not having the best stats. Teams just didn't throw his way and thus he rarely had opportunities to make plays.
    Yet, PFF ranked him #3 in coverage in 08, #23 in 09, and #6 in 2010.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -25
    Geforce's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2005
    Posts:
    8,400
    vCash:
    6479
    Loc:
    O-town
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    Yet, PFF ranked him #3 in coverage in 08, #23 in 09, and #6 in 2010.
    Interesting that PFF had Nnamdi ranked 23rd in 2009 when he was only targeted 26 times in 16 games. I guess it's the 21 completions in those 26 targets that caused him to drop out of the top 10.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -26
    sirvmac's Avatar
    Seasoned Veteran

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    552
    vCash:
    1443
    Loc:
    Chicago
    Thanks / No Thanks
    My philosophy has always been, stats are for people that didn't see the game with their own 2 eyes.
    There is nothing wrong with stats. But why would you only go by that?
    PFF is nice because we as fans probably can't see up to 10 hrs on each player. In those cases, stats are great.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -27
    Wildbill3's Avatar
    Misery Loves Company

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2001
    Posts:
    25,129
    vCash:
    6621
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    There is only one stat in football that truly matters, and that is... did a team win a superbowl?

    If that answer is yes, (and this is pretty easy to run down)... then you can figure out which other stats contributed to that super bowl win. Everything else in the end is irrelevant.
    "I didn't feel like we had to score," Tannehill said. "I had the mindset we were going to score."

    Quote Quote  

  8. -28
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2006
    Posts:
    12,149
    vCash:
    8406
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    There is only one stat in football that truly matters, and that is... did a team win a superbowl?

    If that answer is yes, (and this is pretty easy to run down)... then you can figure out which other stats contributed to that super bowl win. Everything else in the end is irrelevant.
    You, me, and Pat Riley. You win a title or, you are the same as everyone else who did not.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -29
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2009
    Posts:
    1,517
    vCash:
    3938
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    You, me, and Pat Riley. You win a title or, you are the same as everyone else who did not.
    Never agreed with this train of thought. So are you saying you would rather have WR Trandon Doss of the Ravens because he won a Super Bowl Ring or Calvin Johnson whose Lions didn't make the playoffs? Or if the Spurs win the NBA title would you say Tiago Splitter should be the highest paid starting center because his team won the title? I refuse to say Mark Rypien is a better quarterback than Dan Marino because he won a Super Bowl.
    Last edited by gregorygrant83; 06-13-2013 at 07:25 PM.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -30
    72champagne's Avatar
    the annual ritual

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2009
    Posts:
    5,136
    vCash:
    601
    Loc:
    in a bottle
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    There is only one stat in football that truly matters, and that is... did a team win a superbowl?

    If that answer is yes, (and this is pretty easy to run down)... then you can figure out which other stats contributed to that super bowl win. Everything else in the end is irrelevant.
    we should've signed every last Ravens free agent and traded for any others we could get and then the same tactic with the Giants, although they were a bunch of losers last year it's better than signing even worse loser bums in the league. super bowl winning stat or bust, i always say. why even look at stats of other players? it's a complete waste of time.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Some wide reciever stats question?
    By fisi in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-15-2011, 02:38 PM
  2. Question - Henne's 2010 stats
    By miamiz19d in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-20-2010, 02:18 PM
  3. An Excellent blog breaking down Favre's stats vs Pennington's stats
    By cullenbigcstill in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-12-2008, 09:16 AM
  4. Question about O-Linemen stats...
    By Silverphin in forum General NFL Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2006, 03:05 AM
  5. Question about stats
    By Dajesus in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-25-2002, 09:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •