Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 observations from the Dolphins' offseason program

1. -1
    Reach for the Stars

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks

10 observations from the Dolphins' offseason program

. "I don't know how much more ready we can be," defensive end Cameron Wake said at the conclusion of the team's minicamp practices this week. "If you look at this organization's history, the pedigree of the Miami Dolphins, we're trying to get out of that middle-of-the-pack situation, where we've been the past few years.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...tory?track=rss
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The most interesting observations in my view from this article:

1. Ryan Tannehill is beginning to look like a veteran quarterback. He's making better checks at the line of scrimmage, appears to be throwing a better deep ball and is using the middle of the field better than he did in his rookie season. Tannehill, who had a 76.7 passer rating last season, needs to make drastic improvements in Year 2 if this franchise is going to turn the corner.

2. Former UM standout Lamar Miller is viewed as the front-runner to become the Dolphins' new starting tailback. But the second-year player, who averaged 4.9 yards per attempt on his 51 carries last season, needs to show he can pass protect and stay healthy to keep Daniel Thomas and rookie Mike Gillislee from unseating him.

3. Even though Tannehill has plenty of new weapons, which include Pro Bowl receiver Mike Wallace, holdovers like Brian Hartline and Armon Binns remain his favorite targets during the offseason program. Chemistry takes time to develop and Tannehill's working to establish it with Wallace, Brandon Gibson and tight end Dustin Keller.

4. Jared Odrick spent all offseason working as a defensive tackle and could be settling in. It is possible this two-year starter at defensive end could be moved inside permanently, sharing playing time with Paul Soliai and Randy Starks.

6. Veteran kicker Dan Carpenter and rookie Caleb Sturgis, a former University of Florida standout, have the fiercest position battle going into camp. Coach Joe Philbin said the coaches are tracking every kick and kickoff and the most consistent player will get the job. So far Sturgis has a leg up on Carpenter.

8. Brent Grimes and Wallace had some of practice's best one-on-one battles, and those duels proved that Grimes, a former Pro Bowler, is fully recovered from the Achilles injury he suffered in last year's season opener for the Falcons. The free-agent addition used the offseason to lock up a starting cornerback spot. Training camp will determine who lines up opposite Grimes.
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...tory?track=rss
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Noticed a difference in Tannehills passes.Cant put my finger on it but what footage thats out there he added a little arm strength.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phindog View Post
    Noticed a difference in Tannehills passes.Cant put my finger on it but what footage thats out there he added a little arm strength.
    i imagine he did what most qbs do once they get into an nfl offseason training program...work on his core strength which will add velocity...not that there was a throw the kid couldn't make prior

interesting that tannehill is most comfortable with his main stays hartline and binns but not surprising...i noticed last year that it takes a while to earn his trust...

i'm not too concerned about the ints in mini camp and otas...this kids not just gonna become a bad decision maker at the nfl level after what i saw last year...sherman already said they threw pretty much everything at him during mini camp and otas and they will pair it down on game weeks...he'll be just fine...

now the tipped balls at the los...i'm not sure when or if that will ever really go away
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fla
    Thanks / No Thanks
    In reguard too the tip balls at the los. Does anyone know why this has been a problem with Tannehill or how to fix it. It just seems like he has had more problems with than most qb's.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    I like boobs.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The fact that he didn't take a giant Omar dump on the offensive line like usual is pretty encouraging.

Either that, or he excluded his word limit for the piece.

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    grip it and rip it

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    DolphinDolphinDolphin
    8. Brent Grimes and Wallace had some of practice's best one-on-one battles, and those duels proved that Grimes, a former Pro Bowler, is fully recovered from the Achilles injury he suffered in last year's season opener for the Falcons. The free-agent addition used the offseason to lock up a starting cornerback spot. Training camp will determine who lines up opposite Grimes.

Probably our two most important free agents going head to head. I'll bet that was fun to watch.

Grimes was a STEAL. Starter from day one even coming off injury. So glad Sean is gone
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    "The Dolphins are still searching for a second tight end to pair with Keller, but none of the three contenders separated themselves from the pack. H-back Charles Clay remains inconsistent. Michael Egnew still needs to address concerns about his strength, and rookie Dion Sims has a lot to learn if he's going to catch up to his peers."

This situation worries me most and it's something I've been worried about since last year. Signing Keller was good, but it might not be enough. Keller essentially missed last year and significant parts of 2011. I'm not sure he'll ever be 100% again. Clay and Egnew just don't seem to be reliable, much less ready to breakout. WE NEED ANOTHER TE!
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Am I on speaker phone?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Charlotte
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Duhe View Post
    "The Dolphins are still searching for a second tight end to pair with Keller, but none of the three contenders separated themselves from the pack. H-back Charles Clay remains inconsistent. Michael Egnew still needs to address concerns about his strength, and rookie Dion Sims has a lot to learn if he's going to catch up to his peers."

This situation worries me most and it's something I've been worried about since last year. Signing Keller was good, but it might not be enough. Keller essentially missed last year and significant parts of 2011. I'm not sure he'll ever be 100% again. Clay and Egnew just don't seem to be reliable, much less ready to breakout. WE NEED ANOTHER TE!
    Don't worry. It's not even training camp yet. Besides, even no one else steps up and we end up with just Keller and Clay, that's STILL an upgrade over Fasano and Clay.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    marshville, nc
    Thanks / No Thanks
    fasano wasn't exactly a scrub. just not a threat. when keller is 100% healthy for training camp it should make offense look a lot better. also not exactly expecting to hear a lot from Wallace having to line up against grimes. yes we are paying Wallace like a top 5 wr, but grimes when healthy IS a top 5 cb. id rather tanne make the reads on open receiver than try to force it to Wallace. im sure if it was sean smith or vontae on Wallace we would be hearing wallaces name nonstop during OTA;s. the best cb's can take a wr out of game regardless of how good they are, but we do need to hear in training camp about a couple plays where Wallace burns grimes. not that it looks good on grimes but at some point a top tier wr should be able to free himself of a top tier cb on at least a play or two
    Quote Quote