Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Phins Phans on New Contracts?

1. -1
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17

Phins Phans on New Contracts?

We have some 1 year deals with Grimes, Keller, Clabo, etc and nothing is gonna happen there until next year. We also have some players who can be extended before then, if we choose to do so. We do have the money for that.

Everyone here wants Jones extended, although he has only had one good year. Will he cost less now or a year from now, after playing against some very, very good QB's?

Cog and Jerry have expiring contracts, and cannot see anything happening there.

We have Misi, who coaches like, and I would extend him now.

Then we have our potential problem in Soliai and Starks. Both are high priced, and valuable to our D. I don't see keeping both but, could be wrong. I believe that 2014 is our year to contend, and think the team thinks the same. If true, the interior DL is important.

Starks, Soliai, and Odrick make up a VG interior rotation, and we have no one to replace what they do. Next year's draft is unlikely to provide an answer inside, as the normally take a year to fit in. Then, there is the question of how much 3-4 we are looking to play. This is gonna be a very tuff call for Ireland.

I would extend Starks, who has done nothing but play very well since he has been here, and maybe extend Soliai as well
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    It's great that we brought in a lot of rental talent, but what we really need to understand is that long term we absolutely have to develop our own talent. great franchises build from within, and while I hope we buck the trend, the biggest money spenders rarely see it produce wins.

I'm sure we'll resign some of these rental guys, but we have to see our coaching staff develop our young core.
    "I didn't feel like we had to score," Tannehill said. "I had the mindset we were going to score."

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    It's great that we brought in a lot of rental talent, but what we really need to understand is that long term we absolutely have to develop our own talent. great franchises build from within, and while I hope we buck the trend, the biggest money spenders rarely see it produce wins.

I'm sure we'll resign some of these rental guys, but we have to see our coaching staff develop our young core.
    Agree, I have a feeling that Grimes will be the only one we want to keep of the rentals next year. The DT and NT is my main concern
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Chest Rockwell is my hero

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dirty Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We should have locked up Jones this year because he is going to cost us more next year when we offer him an extension
    I believe any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle...Victorious

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Im pretty sure Starks is playing his last season as a Fin. Odrick will replace him in the interior, and Odrick's spot will be replaced by Vernon and Jordan......they should be nice and polished up after this season. Starks is old and I personally dont see a big drop off with Odrick, the kid is pretty solid.

Im pretty sure Misi is playing for his job this year. I think we drafted his replacement in Jenkins.

I would think that Soliai, Grimes, and Jones have extensions in their future, we would be dumb to let them go.

As for the rest of those guys, not so sure. It depends on how they play and how the acorns playing on the 2nd team develop. I cant imagine that Clabo, Cogs and Jerry would all be let go though. And I cant imagine we let Keller go if he plays well. Who knows.

Isnt it nice to be able to have these conversations though?? Before we were so talentless that were seriosuly discussing keeping people like Sean Smith and Fasano (no disrespect to Fanasao).....as if they werent expendable.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo

Re: Phins Phans on New Contracts?

The staff love Misi, he will be extended.

Either starks or soliai will be extended.

Jones will get the tag.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If there is one thing this staff has taught us, it's they love versatile players. Misi is certainly not that. He has zero pass rush ability, and is the weakest link in coverage. Misi will not be extended. I have a pretty good idea that you will see his PT cut down this year by some of the young guns we have brought in. Misi is everything we are trying to get away from. Koa is a Parcells type, that will never be the aggressive game changer this staff is looking for. He is not a bad backup but needs to be upgraded SOON!!!!
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo

Re: Phins Phans on New Contracts?

Quote Originally Posted by KTOWNFINFAN View Post
    If there is one thing this staff has taught us, it's they love versatile players. Misi is certainly not that. He has zero pass rush ability, and is the weakest link in coverage. Misi will not be extended. I have a pretty good idea that you will see his PT cut down this year by some of the young guns we have brought in. Misi is everything we are trying to get away from. Koa is a Parcells type, that will never be the aggressive game changer this staff is looking for. He is not a bad backup but needs to be upgraded SOON!!!!
    Have you paid any attention to anything Philbin and Coyle have said this summer? Especially about Misi.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    IMHO, we have too many loose ends this year. People like to Chicken Little the FA contracts, but that's not really as big of an issue to me as the sheer number of players unsigned for next year. For instance, good OL's are ones with chemistry that have been together for a while. We're taking a 1 year rental on Clabo, with the inference that he'll probably not be back next year. Incognito's contract is likely too big next year so he'll probably be let go rather than renegotiated down to a better number. Jerry has been a disappointment. Ireland already lined up replacements for Jerry (Louis) and Incognito (Thomas) so I would be surprised to see those guys back next year. We already let go of our top echelon LT in favor of a young guy who struggled as a rookie at RT. So, I see this as a make or break year for the young Jonathan Martin, because if he struggles mightily at LT, then he'll likely be pushed back to RT (replacing Clabo) and we'll overdraft a round 1 LT again next year. Only Pouncey will be consistent, and everybody on our OL will be playing next to someone new in 2014. For year 3 of a staff, it may not be shocking, but it seems wasteful to me to waste so much time just to revamp an OL that will then require chemistry to gel.

Certain players are very good, such as Grimes, Starks, Soliai, and are unsigned and will command high numbers. We're fine losing 1 DT, but not two. Odrick will take Starks' place if he's not resigned, but Soliai isn't going to come cheaply as he will be highly valued by the many 34 teams now propping up all over the league. Grimes was an excellent 1 year rental, but he'll be 30 next year and I forsee a very good year from him, meaning he will be old and expensive ... not Ireland's plan for a new staff building toward the future, so I very much see him leaving unfortunately.

If Keller has a healthy and productive season catching the ball he will command a high salary. I can see Ireland overpaying him, but he'll never be a blocker and he's not a great 3rd down TE or red zone TE, so that would be unfortunate. There is also the very real possibility he is gone next year, leaving us with a lot of young TE's who haven't really proven anything yet. Dicey situation for a position that Ireland has shown zero ability to draft effectively thus far.

I've said before and will repeat again ... I prefer the Green Bay Packers way. Draft good players, develop them, then keep them. Build chemistry, unity and reward productivity. Resigning a guy like Reshad Jones early seems like a very shrewd move to me, but Ireland wants to milk all he can out of that cheap rookie contract. Either Reshad Jones ends up getting more money from us, all the while creating a rift between him and the organization, or he is let test the free agent market where he will most likely be gone. That may seem like a plan for a GM to declare he was a good pick and he made smart fiscal decisions and we still need that GM to draft more players like that ... but it's certainly not how Champions are built. I'm against being the used car salesmen of the NFL. Letting a guy like Jake Long walk was a mistake. I hope Ireland doesn't make another one by letting Reshad Jones get away too.

Ireland has set up a situation where he needs to sign a LOT of players again next year. Good thing we're carrying over a healthy chunk of salary cap.
    "I want guys who want to make an impact on and off the field. Good human beings. Guys who want to get better. Guys who want to improve. They want to be great, want to win. Those types of guys we can work with every day." --Joe Philbin
    - Defending the Read Option - What do you think?
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    One thing I like on expiring contracts is that the cupboards are not bare, are we have potential options to step in. We have a couple of young guys on the OL in Thomas, and I like Samuda, as well as the same at TE and CB, who "may" be able to fill in next year after a year to develop.

I have to keep Misi. He can play 3-4 OLB and ILB, 4-3 OLB, and 4-3 DE, while playing great vs the run wherever he plays. I still believe he will show more pass rush ability. Regardless, he is a VG fit with Vernon and Jordan, allowing Odrick to move inside.

I hope we extend Jones but, as mentioned, he will be tagged if not.
    Quote Quote