Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Death Penalty Sped Up By Some States

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Death Penalty Sped Up By Some States

Supporters and opponents of capital punishment agree: The current death penalty is expensive, inefficient, and arbitrary. Some state legislatures have reacted to those faults by abolishing the death penalty, while others are trying to speed it up.
    Since 2007, six states have abolished capital punishment—most recently Maryland, which did so this year. But other states, troubled by some of the same problems, have moved in the opposite direction:

· Republican lawmakers in North Carolina, which hasn’t executed any convicts since 2006, repealed the state’s Racial Justice Act. That law created an additional appeal for death row inmates who believed their death sentences were the result of racial bias. GOP legislators also ended medical licensing board restrictions that kept doctors and nurses from administering execution drugs.
    · Florida Republican Gov. Rick Scott recently signed a law that will speed up Florida’s execution process. The governor now must sign a death warrant within 30 days of the Supreme Court certifying that an inmate has exhausted all appeals. The execution date must be six months from the date of the warrant.
    · California death penalty supporters are working on a citizens’ initiative for the 2014 ballot to restart the death penalty in that state. Last year’s attempt to end the death penalty on the ballot failed.
    · And attorneys general in California and North Carolina are vigorously contesting lawsuits in state and federal court that claim their executions by lethal injection are “cruel and unusual,” and thus unconstitutional.
    · In all three states, a death penalty backlog spurred frustrated lawmakers to act.

“We had a few of the states that had the most tied up death penalty systems decide that fixing wasn’t feasible and repealed the death penalty, but nobody’s happy with the status quo,” said Kent Scheidegger, general counsel for the Criminal Justice Legal Foundation, a victims-rights organization. “So they’re left with the question, to borrow a phrase, mend it or end it?”
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3459048.html
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Teddy Westside

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The execution of one innocent man is more then enough reason to stop repeating this tirseome debate and end capital punishment once and for all.

See Texas vs Cameron Todd Willingham
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Sometimes you gotta thin the herd.

If you murder another person, you don't deserve to waste my oxygen.
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1

"The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boca Raton
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    Sometimes you gotta thin the herd.

If you murder another person, you don't deserve to waste my oxygen.
    Yep.

Wasting our tax dollars too...
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Teddy Westside

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You guys are aware that it takes more of your tax dollars to execute someone than incarcerate them for life, right?
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog 88 View Post
    You guys are aware that it takes more of your tax dollars to execute someone than incarcerate them for life, right?
    Not if you execute them the right way.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by tay0365 View Post
    Not if you execute them the right way.
    The "right way" youre speaking of, I presume, is whacking people immediately upon a guilty verdict. **** appeals. **** making sure you arent offing innocent men.

I mean I just cant fathom why civilized society cant get behind that.

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    The "right way" youre speaking of, I presume, is whacking people immediately upon a guilty verdict. **** appeals. **** making sure you arent offing innocent men.

I mean I just cant fathom why civilized society cant get behind that.
    No, the last thing you want to do is make a mistake killing the wrong person, appeals are there because courts/juries do make mistakes.

1. First off the prosecutor should go for the death penalty only if the person being charged is known to be a violent criminal.

2. If the charge is multiple homicide.

3. They should be able to appeal once and only once (we already know this thug is probably guilty of something, so who cares), if they lose, your done, if they get evidence later on, or believe they were not given a fair trial, send the information to the Governor, and hope and pray (Hopefully you believe in God). No more 20 years on death row.

4. No hanging in this country anymore because it's too brutal, no more death by electric chair because it's brutal and expensive. It should be by injection, nothing too expensive, just something to allow them to sleep forever, once dead in front of witnesses, burn the body (Can't allow him to come back as a zombie...not good).

5. If they are Liberal. then no matter what, they can not be executed in blue states, if they are conservative, no matter what can not be executed in red states, instead send Guantanamo Bay Military base, into in arena (Needs to be build), where these people will be given weapons and allowed to fight to the death for their freedom, the commanding officer of the base will be allowed to give a thumbs up or thumbs down. The winner will be allowed to go free if he can swim back from Cuba to Miami in 24 hours, after that the Coast guard will be looking for them, to finish the job...Hmmm this has become pretty expensive hasn't it? Sorry... never mind.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tay0365 View Post
    No, the last thing you want to do is make a mistake killing the wrong person, appeals are there because courts/juries do make mistakes.

1. First off the prosecutor should go for the death penalty only if the person being charged is known to be a violent criminal.

2. If the charge is multiple homicide.

3. They should be able to appeal once and only once (we already know this thug is probably guilty of something, so who cares), if they lose, your done, if they get evidence later on, or believe they were not given a fair trial, send the information to the Governor, and hope and pray (Hopefully you believe in God). No more 20 years on death row.

4. No hanging in this country anymore because it's too brutal, no more death by electric chair because it's brutal and expensive. It should be by injection, nothing too expensive, just something to allow them to sleep forever, once dead in front of witnesses, burn the body (Can't allow him to come back as a zombie...not good).

5. If they are Liberal. then no matter what, they can not be executed in blue states, if they are conservative, no matter what can not be executed in red states, instead send Guantanamo Bay Military base, into in arena (Needs to be build), where these people will be given weapons and allowed to fight to the death for their freedom, the commanding officer of the base will be allowed to give a thumbs up or thumbs down. The winner will be allowed to go free if he can swim back from Cuba to Miami in 24 hours, after that the Coast guard will be looking for them, to finish the job...Hmmm this has become pretty expensive hasn't it? Sorry... never mind.

Im taking most of this post as a joke. Because otherwise...my god.

I'll treat the bolded as serious: lethal injection isnt as quaint as people like to believe. Its been a few years since ive researched the subject, but when i did look into it there wasnt definitive proof that lethal injection is painless. Instead, there was evidence that the subject was still aware of the pain but unable to let people know.
    Roughly a decade ago i read an article by a group of "doctors" vehemently opposing lethal injections. They were not objecting to the death of these prisoners in general. Why did i use quotations around the word doctor? Because they were veterinarians. They objected to the process and drugs used during the executions and stated they wouldnt go that route for dogs much less humans. This isnt the article i read, but it covers similar ground:

Some death-penalty critics say Oklahoma’s decision shows what they see as the essential inhumanity of execution. But here’s the thing: Lawyers for death-row inmates would actually prefer to have their clients put down like family pets. It carries much less risk of pain than the standard three-drug lethal injection protocol. Oklahoma isn’t actually proposing to adopt the veterinary method: Animals are put to sleep with a single, large dose of a barbiturate called pentobarbital, while the state wants to use a smaller dose of pentobarbital to knock out patients before applying the lethal drugs. But consider the irony: When it comes to death-row inmates, dying like a dog seems like a gentle way to go.

Even the American Veterinary Medical Association’s looser standards are not met in human death chambers.

In fact, 42 states ban euthanasia, as it is practiced in execution chambers, in veterinary hospitals and animal shelters, as Ty Alper of the Death Penalty Law Center at Berkeley lays out in his paper “Anesthetizing the Public Conscience: Lethal Injection and Animal Euthanasia.” That’s because these states—including Oklahoma—do not allow the use of the second drug in the three-drug cocktail on animals. The three-drug formula, Alper writes, is “less reliable, and therefore less humane, than the method used to euthanize animals.”
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...xecutions.html
    "I'm not here to be a distraction," Pouncey said.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ogical-testing
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Ours is the fury.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Part of me understands the arguments against it while the other part of me would love to see James Holmes hang.

Just earlier this month our damn governor decided not to let them execute the '93 Chuck E. Cheese shooter. Yes, you read the end of that last sentence correctly.
    but when the trumpets blew again and the knights charged, the name they cried was "Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!"

Quote Originally Posted by King Stannis Baratheon
    Lord Seaworth is a man of humble birth, but he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the horse, Davos said. I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne.
    Quote Quote