Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Limbaugh: Obama's leading a coup d'etat...no, really this time

1. -11
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Anybody who works for ratings -- meaning, they work for advertisers -- is an entertainer. They're all entertainers. All of 'em. Some people entertain with politics. Others with fart jokes. Jon Stewart does fart jokes about politicians. Some people take their jobs more seriously than others -- not all are worth ignoring -- but it's haggling over a fine that can't be well defined and therefore isn't worth defining.

This desire to separate Rush Limbaugh from the rest of these guys is out of sheer embarrassment, like how the English always make sure to note that Andy Murray is Scottish when he loses. Lots of voters listen to Rush and therefore the politicians have to watch their step. I'd be embarrassed too, if I had to do that.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    He definitely started out as an entertainer only, but no one can say with a straight face that he is still that. The man has the largest audience of any talk show host in the country (maybe the world?), and is by far the most powerful conservative in the U.S. today. What he says ends up sticking with his listeners. That's why he is disliked. There are dozens of other conservative talkers, but no one says a thing about them. Limbaugh has been the single greatest reason why we live in such a hyper-partisan environment right now. The man makes a living by manufacturing hate and discord. I'm not religious, but if there is a hell, I have no doubt they have a nice warm bed waiting for him when he inevitably has a heart attack...
    I can't agree with that at all. He's much more of a Remora, clinging and feeding off the shark that Clinton and Gingrich created.

Then again, this sort of thing goes in cycles. As bitter and divisive as the last few election cycles have been, it's still nothing to compare to 1828, where each candidate was accused of murder by the other side (among other things), and Adams' campaign also directly attacked Jackson's wife as an adulteress and bigamist.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    im amazed at the people here who think limbaugh is just an entertainer and and is a sideshow. take him so seriously when he says something like this. get over yourselfs. if you take anything he says seriously then you are the one with the problem. yes, he is an entertainer and most everything he says is to draw in listeners, so why are you surprised when he calls the administration a "regime"? i have listened to him more than most of you (i spend alot of time in my car and i dont want to spend the $ for satelite radio), so i guess i am his target audience. i dont take him seriously, but neither do most of his listeners, its entertainment.
    If theres one thing this thread was about, its about how seriously i am taking Rush Limbaughs prediction. Ive taken his dire warnings to heart. Thus, i only have 1 thing to say:

Slowest coup d'etat ever.
    "I'm not here to be a distraction," Pouncey said.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ogical-testing
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    If theres one thing this thread was about, its about how seriously i am taking Rush Limbaughs prediction. Ive taken his dire warnings to heart. Thus, i only have 1 thing to say:

Slowest coup d'etat ever.
    That's a sad way to live. Pass the tin foil hat please.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Teddy Westside

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I have listened to Limbaugh and to go along with his considerable power with conservatives comes an open willingness to degrade women and non whites. That's not entertainment, at least by my definition. Ratings alone are not his main priority. Spreading his narrow minded agenda to the world is.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    its blanket statements like these where you lose me. there is plenty of blame to go around. rush limbaugh wasnt the first to do this and he wont be the last. you seem to ignore all the things obama does on a daily basis to divide us, yet you want to banish limbaugh to hell. i realize limbaugh has been at it longer than obama, but the liberal media and especially the president have as big of a following.

have you ever listened to his program? im pretty sure you would say no. well i have and i have also watch chris matthews, bill maher, ed schultz just as often, there is no difference, i promise you.

wishing death on someone in detail? im not the PHD here, but i think you could figure out the psychology of a person who has those sorts of feelings towards another human.
    Show me where I wished death on the man. I'll wait patiently...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

7. -17
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    I can't agree with that at all. He's much more of a Remora, clinging and feeding off the shark that Clinton and Gingrich created.

Then again, this sort of thing goes in cycles. As bitter and divisive as the last few election cycles have been, it's still nothing to compare to 1828, where each candidate was accused of murder by the other side (among other things), and Adams' campaign also directly attacked Jackson's wife as an adulteress and bigamist.
    I agree it started with Clinton and Gingrich. But Limbaugh was a pioneer in the way he took hyper-partisanship to the airwaves, tossed aside truth, rationality, respect for the other side, etc, and start saying whatever the **** he wanted on the airwaves. People are partisan by nature, so those who agreed with him rallied around him like some lesser deity. Those who disagreed with him demonized him. Of course this is only my opinion, but he is the one who made is socially acceptable to be belligerent, rude, and a jerk towards people who disagreed with him. All the others are the same, left and right, but it started with him. I personally think he is a blight on U.S. history. 50 years from now historians will look back at the man and wonder what the **** everyone was thinking by giving him so much attention...
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog 88 View Post
    I have listened to Limbaugh and to go along with his considerable power with conservatives comes an open willingness to degrade women and non whites. That's not entertainment, at least by my definition. Ratings alone are not his main priority. Spreading his narrow minded agenda to the world is.
    So you think if he stopped doing that kind of thing his ratings would improve? I don't. Sad as it is, there's a market for that kind of stuff. Whether he believes in what he says or not is another matter. I tend to think he believes it at least in part. He's not an Ann Coulter, in other words, who's about as legit as Larry the Cable Guy (or Skip Bayless). But I think he knows where the red meat is and knows how to inflate and distort his true take on things to stir up controversy which stirs up ratings. Which is really what he's after.

In my opinion all of entertainment is one big lifeboat drill. You've got a lifeboat with too many people for the supplies, right, and you've got to vote people off. Well, at first the people who stay are the ones most useful to the boat. A guy who can row. A guy who's an experienced sailor. A guy who can navigate at night. But eventually what you're left with are people who are good at staying on the lifeboat, regardless of anything else. And that skill is not necessarily a skill that's "useful" to the boat.

Rush Limbaugh has not stayed on the air for 30 years or whatever it is by not being an expert at staying on the air. Like everyone else on the radio, he's playing a character. Most people on TV are playing a character too but the camera makes you tell the truth more than a microphone does. It's much better at picking up on insincerity.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    I agree it started with Clinton and Gingrich. But Limbaugh was a pioneer in the way he took hyper-partisanship to the airwaves, tossed aside truth, rationality, respect for the other side, etc, and start saying whatever the **** he wanted on the airwaves. People are partisan by nature, so those who agreed with him rallied around him like some lesser deity. Those who disagreed with him demonized him. Of course this is only my opinion, but he is the one who made is socially acceptable to be belligerent, rude, and a jerk towards people who disagreed with him. All the others are the same, left and right, but it started with him. I personally think he is a blight on U.S. history. 50 years from now historians will look back at the man and wonder what the **** everyone was thinking by giving him so much attention...
    Limbaugh was in the right place at the right time. What he brought was just a natural reaction to the political climate, a reflection of it. If it hadn't been him it would have been someone else. The durability of the format, style and tone have showed that, imo.

In 50 years I don't think anyone will remember Limbaugh at all. Maybe that's just me. But I look at him as a moment to moment reactionary, not a thinker. His commentary is sort of like Kevin Smith's movies (which I like, don't get me wrong). So much of their time they'll have no staying power.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    who's about as legit as Larry the Cable Guy (or Skip Bayless).
    Skip Bayless is 100% legit. He believes every word he says.

It's definitely one of my guilty pleasures, but I watch the show almost everyday.
    Quote Quote