Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 41 to 47 of 47

Thread: Limbaugh: Obama's leading a coup d'etat...no, really this time

  1. -41
    Locke's Avatar
    They looked like strong hands.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2008
    Posts:
    8,870
    vCash:
    5460
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbone34 View Post
    remember when the left was tolerant and open minded towards other viewpoints. now its all hate and hell bound destruction for anyone who threatens the big government nanny state.
    Your one-liners are getting less clever. Being intolerant of retardation, ignorance, and general foulness isn't the same as being intolerant of someone's religion. But I know you know that...

    If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

    Quote Quote  

  2. -42
    jared81's Avatar
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    4,797
    vCash:
    1216
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbone34 View Post
    remember when the left was tolerant and open minded towards other viewpoints. now its all hate and hell bound destruction for anyone who threatens the big government nanny state.
    uh, they never were. they are tolerent of people with their line of thinking. the rest of us can kick rocks.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -43
    TheWalrus's Avatar
    1/7/14

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2011
    Posts:
    9,570
    vCash:
    40575
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry_Bagpipe View Post
    Oh don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that Goodall didnt have the right to do it and that he should of been forced to allow Limbaugh to gain partial ownership. I'm saying that him utilizing that right is a gross use of that power. The westboro baptist church have the right to do their protests and as long as they are within their legal rights, shouldn't be prevented from doing it. But I will call them disgusting human beings for doing what they do. And in regards to what Limbaugh said about McNabb, he said that certain members of the media were rooting for McNabb because he was black. Well, Ive heard John Saunders, whos pretty respected, say on the sports reporters that he was rooting for Ty Willingham at Notre Dame because he was black. Do you honestly not believe that certain media members root for Tiger Woods in Golf or the Williams sisters in tennis because they are black? I think the opposite is more normal. Do you not think that Philipino Americans don't root naturally for Pacquiao in boxing. You don't think most white people were rooting for Gerry Cooney against Larry Holmes just because hes white? It was funny, no one in espn or on the set at the time had any issue with what Limbaugh said, the day that he said it. It was only until days later when liberal bloggers called attention to it and made It a big deal did ESPN suddenly say "oh, what he said was wrong"

    I also think stern is allowed easily. I don't think goodalls decision was due to Limbaugh being controversial, but being controversial and on a certain side of the political spectrum
    I think you've got the metaphor wrong. It's Limbaugh that's the Westboro Baptist Church, not Goodell or the league. He (like the church) is the one making deliberately inflammatory statements.

    As for the thing with McNabb (Cooney, Pacquiao, et all), of course identity politics plays a role in everything. Mirror neurons are a fascinating aspect of life that I've been doing some research about recently. Amazing stuff. Maybe the defining aspect of humanity. But Limbaugh didn't say that black members of the media were hoping McNabb would do well. He was saying the media in general (which is not all that black) wanted McNabb to do well, and were therefore lowering the bar on what counted as a "good" performance. His calling it a "social concern" makes it pretty clear that what he's really doing is trying to make a point about affirmative action. At least to me. And that's what's wrong with it. He's making the jump that because he thinks McNabb isn't that good that the only reason people are calling him good is because they feel bad for him because he's black and are judging him by a different standard.

    As for no one making a big deal about it on the set, Tom Jackson at least called not doing that one of the biggest regrets of his career. He knew it was wrong right away. But a show is a show. I don't blame people for not calling people out right in the middle of things on a show because that's not what the show is supposed to be about. I don't think it was a couple of days later that it became an issue either. Granted my memory could be a bit fuzzy but I remember it blowing up pretty much right away, or at least what counted as right away in the Land Before Twitter.

    We'll have to wait I guess before some mega controversial liberal tries to buy part of a football team before we can have a true one to one comparison of these things. But it's not like the owners aren't active in fundraising and donations and that there aren't guys active on both sides of the spectrum. Here's a story about it:

    http://www.businessinsider.com/obama...on-2012-9?op=1

    I personally just can't see any reason to look at Limbaugh being denied an opportunity to own part of an NFL team as some kind of anti-conservative conspiracy. The guy is a disaster. He offers plenty of downside and no upside. And I don't even think it's fair to blame Goodell personally for denying him. Goodell is the ultimate puppet. I'm sure it was communicated to him by enough of the owners -- who have to approve any ownership change -- that they weren't going to let him get within a hundred miles of owning a team. I disagree about Stern, by the way. I don't think there's any way the owners would sign off on him owning a team. Another guy with plenty of downside and no upside. We'll have to agree to disagree on that point.
    Last edited by TheWalrus; 06-20-2013 at 02:54 PM.



    #freespesh
    Quote Quote  

  4. -44
    LordPicklewagon's Avatar
    Archibald Meatpants

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    5,439
    vCash:
    12355
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    I think you've got the metaphor wrong. It's Limbaugh that's the Westboro Baptist Church, not Goodell or the league. He (like the church) are the one making deliberately inflammatory statements.

    As for the thing with McNabb (Cooney, Pacquiao, et all), of course identity politics plays a role in everything. Mirror neurons are a fascinating aspect of life that I've been doing some research about recently. Amazing stuff. Maybe the defining aspect of humanity. But Limbaugh didn't say that black members of the media were hoping McNabb would do well. He was saying the media in general (which is not all that black) wanted McNabb to do well, and were therefore lowering the bar on what counted as a "good" performance. His calling it a "social concern" makes it pretty clear that what he's really doing is trying to make a point about affirmative action. At least to me. And that's what's wrong with it. He's making the jump that because he thinks McNabb isn't that good that the only reason people are calling him good is because they feel bad for him because he's black and are judging him by a different standard.

    As for no one making a big deal about it on the set, Tom Jackson at least called not doing that one of the biggest regrets of his career. He knew it was wrong right away. But a show is a show. I don't blame people for not calling people out right in the middle of things on a show because that's not what the show is supposed to be about. I don't think it was a couple of days later that it became an issue either. Granted my memory could be a bit fuzzy but I remember it blowing up pretty much right away, or at least what counted as right away in the Land Before Twitter.

    We'll have to wait I guess before some mega controversial liberal tries to buy part of a football team before we can have a true one to one comparison of these things. But it's not like the owners aren't active in fundraising and donations and that there aren't guys active on both sides of the spectrum. Here's a story about it:

    http://www.businessinsider.com/obama...on-2012-9?op=1

    I personally just can't see any reason to look at Limbaugh being denied an opportunity to own part of an NFL team as some kind of anti-conservative conspiracy. The guy is a disaster. He offers plenty of downside and no upside. And I don't even think it's fair to blame Goodell personally for denying him. Goodell is the ultimate puppet. I'm sure it was communicated to him by enough of the owners -- who have to approve any ownership change -- that they weren't going to let him get within a hundred miles of owning a team. I disagree about Stern, by the way. I don't think there's any way the owners would sign off on him owning a team. Another guy with plenty of downside and no upside. We'll have to agree to disagree on that point.

    yeah....as soon as I finished typing it I was thinking that Limbaugh is more similar to the Westboro nuts but the point was that just because people have the legal right to do something, that doesn't mean that are not subject to criticism, and I was criticizing goodall (the league) and not saying they should of been forced to let Limbaugh in. Also, I'm not sure I can make the jump that Limbaugh was making a reference to affirmative action. Personally, I think he just meant that certain people were supporting McNabb because they wanted him to succeed as a black man at a position where for decades a negative stereotype toward black football players existed. I might be wrong though. I do agree that Goodall is a puppet though. I believe the sequence of events started with football players saying that they would never play for a team that had Limbaugh as an owner. That rhetoric was than supported by many other players throughout the league. I don't believe for a minute that if a hypothetical left wing Limbaugh tried to gain partial ownership of team, that the players would of come out with the same rhetoric and therefore Goodall wouldn't of had an issue with it. So yes, Im of the opinion that Limbaugh was ostracized due to his controversial reputation as a hyperpartisan republican. Im also of the opinion that the players who spoke out so vehemently against him probably have never listened to his program, couldn't cite one quote by him(minus the McNabb one) and only came to their opinion of him due to what people of their own political leaning have told them. That just doesn't sit well with me.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -45
    Spesh's Avatar
    #freespesh

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    8,455
    vCash:
    1378
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    From what I have seen, you are definitely no tree hugging whack job or communist but tend to fall a little left of me on most issues. I know that I fall to the right on most every fiscal issue and to the left on a lot of social issues. I definitely agree with the villainizing, there is enough blame to go around for every politician regardless of party these days. It is insane how both sides and their talking heads jockey to shovel the blame on the other side and to claim full responsibility for anything positive. I suppose my point regarding liberals following the media blindly is more about conservatives I know being so skeptical of everything and everyone. From our perspective, everyone is a sheep!
    President Romney agrees with this sentence.


    Terrorist attack count against the Anything Goes Thread: 2
    Quote Quote  

  6. -46
    Dogbone34's Avatar
    cowboy surfer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    2,744
    vCash:
    2533
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Your one-liners are getting less clever. Being intolerant of retardation, ignorance, and general foulness isn't the same as being intolerant of someone's religion. But I know you know that...
    not sure what all that meant. i won't deny the GOP has their share of loons. fiscal conservatives aren't thrilled about their party.

    i don't see any democrats, even elizabeth warren, leading the charge to shrink the size and scope (debt burden) of government. even with the rights desire for a strong military, the left owns endless big government spending. and no doubt, the left is just as much for sale as the right when it comes to the MIC. that's why democrats followed like sheep attacking the original un co-opted tea party. don't touch the government checking account or we're coming after you. i could be wrong, maybe working class democrats do want to pay more taxes. we all missed an opportunity on that one.

    i know you don't like rush but i think he would applaud your interest in political events. if you could hold your own on his show, he might send you a case of that tea he's selling or he would get you all worked up over something silly like equal pay for women, then he would cut you off and openly question the educational system in new mexico.

    i think he would like spesh enough that he would hold him over thru the break.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -47
    dlockz's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2004
    Posts:
    33,557
    vCash:
    39610
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    That Rush Limbaugh has any popularity is a glowing example of the need for a better education system in the US. When I come to work Im always amazed that people will spout verbatim what one of these talking heads is raving about as the new end of the united states as we know it. Im always encouraged when independents actually gain office so they are not just a puppet extension of their parties beliefs for most part but this independent fraternity is about as common as a Honus Wagner . There are 2 senators listed but in reality they are not true independents
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Obama’s Muslim, evolution is fake & Rush Limbaugh is great
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-12-2012, 07:40 PM
  2. Family Ties: Obama Related to Palin, Limbaugh
    By FinFan 13 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-15-2010, 07:04 PM
  3. Obama Related to Palin, Limbaugh, Ancestry.com Finds
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-14-2010, 12:54 PM
  4. Rush Limbaugh Responds to CBS Obama Interview
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-13-2010, 06:08 AM
  5. Limbaugh comes out for Obama
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 114
    Last Post: 05-15-2008, 11:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •