Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Why We Still Need Affirmative Action

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

OPINION Why We Still Need Affirmative Action

Later this week, or next week, the Supreme Court is expected to issue a ruling greatly restricting, or even ending, affirmative action in admissions to public colleges. If this happens, it will be a great pity.
    Set aside, for a moment, the explosive issue of black or brown versus white, which underpins much of the discussion about affirmative action. There are compelling reasons to make it easier for young people of all races from disadvantaged backgrounds to attend college. The University of Texas program at the center of this case did just that. Far from being ruled illegal, it should be embraced and promoted as a practical, merit-based model for other states to copy. Unfortunately, that seems unlikely.
    Having lived in the United States for almost thirty years, I am always amazed that Americans persist in believing that this is a land of unparalleled opportunity and social mobility. A bit suspect to begin with, the Horatio Alger story has been transformed, over the decades, into a chronic mental block. To well-educated youngsters from affluent backgrounds who know how to work the system, and even to well-educated immigrants such as myself, this is indeed a land of great opportunity. But for all too many working-class Americans—and a lot of them aren’t members of minority groups—U.S. society is less of a launchpad than a glue trap. With their feet stuck to the ground, they have little prospect of ascending very far.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/johncassidy/2013/06/why-america-still-needs-affirmative-action.html
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: Why We Still Need Affirmative Action

There is no excuse in this day and age for any American to go uneducated if they want to be. This is especially true of minorities as there are additional scholarships and opportunities available that white, Anglo-Saxon, Protestant males do not qualify for. No one needs to mandate quotas, they are a crutch. The races, sexes, etc. will never be equal until we remove the training wheels and make everyone equal. Equal opportunity, equal rights, equal responsibility. Where you go from there is up to you.

Mind you, I am referring to equal opportunity under the law not circumstances. Some people will have inherent advantages due to their family, upbringing, wealth, etc.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins Homer1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    Being Irish whenever I think of affirmative action and other groups like that I always think of the opening scene of the departed. I can't link the scene or remember the exact lines but they were about "no one gives a crap about you in this country, if you want something you have to take it." another one was "20 years after an irishman couldn't get a job we had the presidency."

They are true lines no matter what generation. There will always be racism because there always has been. When the Irish first came to this country they were looked at as the group that would ruin the country, destroy the American way and it was the same for every other mass immigration group.

It isn't easy to change your socioeconomic status in this country but it is possible. I personally feel that affirmative action is counter productive to this. Groups like this say it's okay to not be the best as long as your a minority. It sets up a quota system which puts race ahead of qualifications. It leads to an entitlement culture.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Why We Still Need Affirmative Action

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAPHIN 22 View Post
    http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/johncassidy/2013/06/why-america-still-needs-affirmative-action.html[/URL]
    Actually, statistically speaking there is more income mobility in the US than any other country in the world. Anyone, and I mean anyone, with the brains and drive can get a college education.

The success of Jews and Asians in the US proves AA is a farce. There was a time when colleges and law firms had explicit and unabashed "Jew quotas", except unlike AA quotas, ahem I mean "diversity", these quotas limited the amount of Jews the firms would hire or the colleges would admit. The Jews that were left out, did not complain, did not call Reverand Al to do a sit in, they went to other colleges that would take them and formed their own law firms, which are now the best in the world. Where do you think Skadden Arps came from. Murray Gell Mann and Richard Feynman, two of the greatest physicists of the 20th century had to opt to go to different universities than their first choice because of Jew quotas at the time.

These days, Asians face almost the equivalent situation. One college admissions person told me point blank that more qualified Asians are rejected, because if colleges went purely on merit, Asians would make up at least 40 percent of the student body. It's not as blatant as Jew quotas, but it exists in effect, and whether or not there is any conscious ill will behind it.

It's funny, the one college in the country that I'm aware of that is purely merit based, Cal Tech-- where they don't care about your skin color, whether your parents were alumni, whether you played sports, whether you were out saving the whales -- is actually very diverse, if you're looking at the percentages of different ethnicities (and by ethnicities, I'm not separating people of Irish descent from people of German descent, etc). Of course, it's not really "diverse" so far as some people are concerned because it lacks the politically correct type of "diversity".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Quote Quote