Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Egyptian military overthrows government, suspends constitution

1. -1
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Egyptian military overthrows government, suspends constitution

The head of Egypt's armed forces issued a declaration on Wednesday suspending the constitution and appointing the head of the constitutional court as interim head of state.

In a televised broadcast, flanked by military leaders, religious authorities and political figures, General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi effectively declared the removal of elected Islamist President Mohamed Mursi.

Sisi called for presidential and parliamentary elections, a panel to review the constitution and a national reconciliation committee that would include youth movements. He said the roadmap had been agreed by a range of political groups.

http://news.yahoo.com/egypt-army-com...191826399.html

Here we go again. Thank god we are largely staying out of this. What a mess.
    "I'm not here to be a distraction," Pouncey said.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ogical-testing
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins Homer1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    2nd times the charm when it comes to democratic elections. Now taking bets that the Muslim Brotherhood gets re-elected.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhankey81701 View Post
    2nd times the charm when it comes to democratic elections. Now taking bets that the Muslim Brotherhood gets re-elected.
    You all need to stop with this muslim brotherhood bull****. ****ing ridiculous...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: Egyptian military overthrows government, suspends constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    You all need to stop with this muslim brotherhood bull****. ****ing ridiculous...
    Why exactly is that? They are certainly relevant to the situation, a concern, and against Western Democracy.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Ours is the fury.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    IMO, the military just needs to hang on to power for a while. Now I wish Cedar was still here.
    but when the trumpets blew again and the knights charged, the name they cried was "Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!"

Quote Originally Posted by King Stannis Baratheon
    Lord Seaworth is a man of humble birth, but he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the horse, Davos said. I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins Homer1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    How is mentioning the party that was democratically elected in Egypt bull****?
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boca Raton
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by COphinphan89 View Post
    IMO, the military just needs to hang on to power for a while. Now I wish Cedar was still here.
    They have $1.5 billion reasons (our aid to them) to not hang onto power...
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Egypt has become the poster boy for why you shouldn't have elections too soon after a revolution. The process is too convoluted and new and the best organized faction invariably takes control, regardless of whether they represent the majority. In Mursy's case eventually 20 million people signed the petition asking for his removal, which is substantially more people than voted for him.

This kind of overthrow is dangerous precedent to set but I'm hopeful this will only be a one time thing. I'm heartened in this regard by the fact that the military installed the head of their supreme court as temporary leader. I don't know anything about him but judges for all their ridiculousness do at least have an interest in the law. If the head of the judiciary in Iran or Pakistan was in charge that would be a much better situation in those countries, to be sure.
    No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Why exactly is that? They are certainly relevant to the situation, a concern, and against Western Democracy.
    They aren't relevant to the situation. "Muslim Brotherhood" is as much of a threat to us as Swine Flu was. The media uses them as a fear tactic. It's working like a charm. You've got the guy in this thread worried about an election that is about as relevant to us as Australia's TV schedule, yet here he is scared to death of the big scary brotherhood that's going to bring down the western way of life. It's beyond ridiculous at this point...
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: Egyptian military overthrows government, suspends constitution

They aren't relevant to the situation. "Muslim Brotherhood" is as much of a threat to us as Swine Flu was. The media uses them as a fear tactic. It's working like a charm. You've got the guy in this thread worried about an election that is about as relevant to us as Australia's TV schedule, yet here he is scared to death of the big scary brotherhood that's going to bring down the western way of life. It's beyond ridiculous at this point...
    I don't think they could bring down the western way of life but they could instigate the that of a new war or series of wars. I think that stability in the Middle East is important regardless of the Muslim Brotherhood. I just have no confidence that anything good for the USA will come out of a country governed by Muslim Brotherhood philosophy. Maybe I will be surprised.
    Quote Quote