Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wendy Davis - a hero not mentioned in the PoFo

Hybrid View

1. -1
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Wendy Davis - a hero not mentioned in the PoFo

I wish they would make Republicans complete the filibuster in Congress as well. Though the rules in TX are much tougher (standing, no eating, no drinking, no bathroom breaks, and talking on subject the entire time) Wendy Davis completed a filibuster move on the last day of the TX session to prevent yet another moronic move by the Republican majority.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...tters-20130626

Would this be considered domestic terrorism or christian terrorism?
    Last year, Davis' offices were firebombed in an attack that many speculated was connected to her vigorous support of Planned Parenthood from Republican attempts to strip the health care provider of funding.

Last edited by phins_4_ever; 06-27-2013 at 03:14 PM.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You may think that you are some kind of god to these people. But we both know what you really are."
    "What's that? A criminal?"
    "Worse. A politician."
    Source: Under The Dome
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Was going to post about this later, but those who showed up deserve a big mention for delaying the bill.

The Texas anti-abortion bill, which threatened to close nearly all of the abortion clinics in the state and prompted an 11-hour filibuster by state Sen. Wendy Davis (D), is dead, The Austin American-Statesman reported.

Lawmakers had to vote on Senate Bill 5 before the special session's end at 12 a.m. local time. However, more than 400 protesters halted the proceedings 15 minutes before the roll call could be completed with what they called "a people's filibuster," The Associated Press reported.

The crowd of demonstrators in the capitol cried "Shame! Shame!" when Davis' filibuster was halted by Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst, who ruled that her discussion of mandatory ultrasound testing was off-topic. Then the protesters roared after state Sen. Leticia Van De Putte asked, "At what point must a female senator raise her hand or her voice to be recognized over her male colleagues?Ē

Their cries continued to echo inside the chamber -- and over a livestream watched by thousands around the world -- until after the midnight deadline passed.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...ef=mostpopular

Found this interesting as well:

The Associated Press and several other large media outlets initially reported that the bill had passed, taking Lt. Gov. Dewhurst's word that the vote was taken "just before" 12 AM.

But Democratic State Senators and the tens of thousands who witnessed the vote live on a YouTube stream were skeptical.

As well they should have been.

Screengrabs of the official SB5 results page captured by several wonks clearly show the record vote was called after midnight local time, and was therefore dated 6/26.

But seconds later the results page was suddenly taken down, and when it returned, the vote's date had miraculously been altered to make it seem as though it had been cast in time ó on 6/25.

So what happened? Did someone tamper with official state documents? It would seem so, and that's a crime.
    http://gawker.com/internet-catches-t...-abo-584135789
    "Ignorance is not an excuse" were the words Goodell used when describing why those involved in the Saints bounty scandal would not avoid punishment.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ons-unanswered
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Maybe because some of us in the POFO don't think she's a hero?
    Insert pithy saying here.

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    Maybe because some of us in the POFO don't think she's a hero?
    Maybe. But she stood up and slapped the GOP in TX across their faces for now. She supported women's right over religious doctrine. Yes, she is a hero.

Oh yeah, and accidentally she prevented bigger government in this instance. But I guess Religion stands above individual rights.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    Maybe. But she stood up and slapped the GOP in TX across their faces for now. She supported women's right over religious doctrine. Yes, she is a hero.

Oh yeah, and accidentally she prevented bigger government in this instance. But I guess Religion stands above individual rights.
    She's a hero in your opinion. Not mine. I guess we'll just leave it at that.

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    What do you expect? He's not a smart man.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    While many have called Texas state Sen. Wendy Davis (D) a hero for standing on her feet for 11 hours to filibuster an anti-abortion bill, Gov. Rick Perry (R) couldn't resist taking a jab at her for having been a teenage mother.

"Even the woman who filibustered the Senate the other day was born into difficult circumstances. She was the daughter of a single woman, she was a teenage mother herself. She managed to eventually graduate from Harvard Law School and serve in the Texas senate," Perry said Thursday in a speech to the National Right to Life Convention. "It is just unfortunate that she hasnít learned from her own example that every life must be given a chance to realize its full potential and that every life matters."

Davis was raised by a single mother, and she became a single mother herself at 19. She went on to graduate from Harvard Law School and was elected to the Texas state Senate in 2008...

Davis has responded to Perry's comments. "Rick Perry's statement is without dignity and tarnishes the high office he holds," she said. "They are small words that reflect a dark and negative point of view. Our governor should reflect our Texas values. Sadly, Gov. Perry fails that test."
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...ef=mostpopular

Not smart.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Magic City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoTannehill 17Dolphins Homer

Re: Wendy Davis - a hero not mentioned in the PoFo

I think she is courageous.
    But for media to be spinning this as heroism here but bemoaning the use of filibuster at other times is disingenuous.

She may become a player in the otherwise dead democratic party(of texas) in the future.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trojanma View Post
    I think she is courageous.
    But for media to be spinning this as heroism here but bemoaning the use of filibuster at other times is disingenuous.

She may become a player in the otherwise dead democratic party(of texas) in the future.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    I am bemoaning the Republican filibusters in Washington DC all the time. But the reason is: it is over nearly anything and everything and none of them ever has to complete the filibuster but rather using the silent filibuster (just the threat).

If you think the Democratic Party is dead that is cool by me. I am personally not very fond of the Democratic Party but to call a party dead after they retained the majority in the Senate, chipped away seats in the House and put a Democratic President into the WH is overreaching. But if you call them dead you have to call the Republican Party decomposed.

But of course you are probably an 'independent' and a 'libertarian' as this has become the new 'self-proclaimed in-designation' for Republican voters.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    The Ghost

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    I am bemoaning the Republican filibusters in Washington DC all the time. But the reason is: it is over nearly anything and everything and none of them ever has to complete the filibuster but rather using the silent filibuster (just the threat).

If you think the Democratic Party is dead that is cool by me. I am personally not very fond of the Democratic Party but to call a party dead after they retained the majority in the Senate, chipped away seats in the House and put a Democratic President into the WH is overreaching. But if you call them dead you have to call the Republican Party decomposed.

But of course you are probably an 'independent' and a 'libertarian' as this has become the new 'self-proclaimed in-designation' for Republican voters.
    He did specify that it was the Democratic Party of Texas. Also, let's not act like the Democrats don't use the same filibuster tacitcs when it suits them.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

Black Crown Initiate: Withering Waves
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlqJA1Rteio
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Valandui View Post
    He did specify that it was the Democratic Party of Texas. Also, let's not act like the Democrats don't use the same filibuster tacitcs when it suits them.
    You are right. Didn't see that little attachment in parenthesis. Yeah, she may just breath some life into the Democratic Party IN TX.

Sure Democrats use filibusters too. But it is an uncontested fact that since 2006 when the Democrats took the majority in the Senate we had a record number of 'filibusters'. It is a sign of time when a Politician filibusters his own bill (as it was written). And no Reid doesn't count as it was not his bill in 2011. Though conservative talking heads like for you to believe that.

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    Congrats to her. Many more baby's will be killed because of her.
    Spoken like a true Libertarian who wants smaller government and personal responsibility and liberty.
    Quote Quote