Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Egyptian military overthrows government, suspends constitution

Hybrid View

1. -1
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Egyptian military overthrows government, suspends constitution

The head of Egypt's armed forces issued a declaration on Wednesday suspending the constitution and appointing the head of the constitutional court as interim head of state.

In a televised broadcast, flanked by military leaders, religious authorities and political figures, General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi effectively declared the removal of elected Islamist President Mohamed Mursi.

Sisi called for presidential and parliamentary elections, a panel to review the constitution and a national reconciliation committee that would include youth movements. He said the roadmap had been agreed by a range of political groups.

http://news.yahoo.com/egypt-army-com...191826399.html

Here we go again. Thank god we are largely staying out of this. What a mess.
    "Ignorance is not an excuse" were the words Goodell used when describing why those involved in the Saints bounty scandal would not avoid punishment.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ons-unanswered
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins Homer1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    2nd times the charm when it comes to democratic elections. Now taking bets that the Muslim Brotherhood gets re-elected.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhankey81701 View Post
    2nd times the charm when it comes to democratic elections. Now taking bets that the Muslim Brotherhood gets re-elected.
    You all need to stop with this muslim brotherhood bull****. ****ing ridiculous...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    You all need to stop with this muslim brotherhood bull****. ****ing ridiculous...
    How is mentioning the party that was democratically elected in Egypt bull****?
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: Egyptian military overthrows government, suspends constitution

Why exactly is that? They are certainly relevant to the situation, a concern, and against Western Democracy.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Why exactly is that? They are certainly relevant to the situation, a concern, and against Western Democracy.
    They aren't relevant to the situation. "Muslim Brotherhood" is as much of a threat to us as Swine Flu was. The media uses them as a fear tactic. It's working like a charm. You've got the guy in this thread worried about an election that is about as relevant to us as Australia's TV schedule, yet here he is scared to death of the big scary brotherhood that's going to bring down the western way of life. It's beyond ridiculous at this point...
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    They aren't relevant to the situation. "Muslim Brotherhood" is as much of a threat to us as Swine Flu was. The media uses them as a fear tactic. It's working like a charm. You've got the guy in this thread worried about an election that is about as relevant to us as Australia's TV schedule, yet here he is scared to death of the big scary brotherhood that's going to bring down the western way of life. It's beyond ridiculous at this point...
    Well actually this election is relevant to us. Egypt shares a border with Israel who we are strong allies with. Egypt elects a President who calls Israelis the descendants of swines and apes. Israel has a no nonsense approach to their security, anything deemed even remotely threatening they are ready to bomb. If a conflict begins we are roped into it to try and stop it.

I don't think the Muslim Brotherhood is going to destroy the west and I have never said that. I just think Egypt is in turmoil now, they are looking at their third different government in 2 years. Egypt used to be one of the most stable countries in the region, given Mubarak was a brutal dictator but we knew what to expect from them in regards to Israel. Mubarak was going to uphold the peace treaty. There is an old FDR line "he may be a SOB, but he's our SOB". Now going forward we have no idea what to expect. Instability is never a good thing especially in regards to a region with as much violence as the Middle East.

Many people want us to pull out all interests in the Middle East and to stop fighting what is ultimately a losing battle. However, as long as there is an Israel we are going to have an interest in the security of that region.
    Last edited by mrhankey81701; 07-04-2013 at 12:37 AM.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well actually this election is relevant to us. Egypt shares a border with Israel who we are strong allies with. Egypt elects a President who calls Israelis the descendants of swines and pigs. Israel has a no nonsense approach to their security, anything deemed even remotely threatening they are ready to bomb. If a conflict begins we are roped into it to try and stop it.

I don't think the Muslim Brotherhood is going to destroy the west and I have never said that. I just think Egypt is in turmoil now, they are looking at their third different government in 2 years. Egypt used to be one of the most stable countries in the region, given Mubarak was a brutal dictator but we knew what to expect from them in regards to Israel. Mubarak was going to uphold the peace treaty. There is an old FDR line "he may be a SOB, but he's our SOB". Now going forward we have no idea what to expect. Instability is never a good thing especially in regards to a region with as much violence as the Middle East.

Many people want us to pull out all interests in the Middle East and to stop fighting what is ultimately a losing battle. However, as long as there is an Israel we are going to have an interest in the security of that region.
    Let me give you a pointer when talking to libs. Never mention Israel in a positive manner.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well actually this election is relevant to us. Egypt shares a border with Israel who we are strong allies with. Egypt elects a President who calls Israelis the descendants of swines and apes. Israel has a no nonsense approach to their security, anything deemed even remotely threatening they are ready to bomb. If a conflict begins we are roped into it to try and stop it.

So your concern is Israel? It blows my mind that people are so concerned with a country that offers the U.S. absolutely nothing in this partnership. Israel can take care of itself. If we spent less time worrying about them and more time worrying about ourselves, maybe we wouldn't have bridges collapsing in Oregon, people still homeless from Hurricane Sandy, and dozens of tent cities across the country.

And nothing you said has convinced me that there is anything to worry about with the Muslim Brotherhood. I like how you all always claim not to listen to Fox News or AM Talk radio, yet always manage to bring their conspiracy theories and fear mongering into the conversation...
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So your concern is Israel? It blows my mind that people are so concerned with a country that offers the U.S. absolutely nothing in this partnership. Israel can take care of itself. If we spent less time worrying about them and more time worrying about ourselves, maybe we wouldn't have bridges collapsing in Oregon, people still homeless from Hurricane Sandy, and dozens of tent cities across the country.

And nothing you said has convinced me that there is anything to worry about with the Muslim Brotherhood. I like how you all always claim not to listen to Fox News or AM Talk radio, yet always manage to bring their conspiracy theories and fear mongering into the conversation...
    You have to give conservatives a bit of a mulligan on this subject, its full of contradictions they have to sort out before taking a position and possibly enraging their fellow partisans.
    I mean, on one hand part of the reason why people were rioting was due to the rise in crime. But part of that crime was sexual assaults and conservatives have no way of knowing which of those were "legitimate". Egypt just hasnt adopted the small government regulations for that sort of thing.

Then it must be about Israel. Why? 'Cause nukes. Or something. But regional stability is vastly important and a new administration could threaten that by pressuring the military...a military we help pay for...a military that just replaced the entire government...but anyways...ugh, yeah.

Well, at least we can all agree that spreading democracy is important. Conservatives felt very strongly about that. Spread democracy no matter how messy it can get. Oh wait...

Mubarak was going to uphold the peace treaty. There is an old FDR line "he may be a SOB, but he's our SOB". Now going forward we have no idea what to expect.
    I forgot, the only time democracy is welcome is when its achieved with the muzzle flash of an American rifle. Give them time, they'll figure out how they feel about this. Unless its casts Obama in a positive manner. Then anyone who feels that way is a RINO and deserving of seething hatred.
    Quote Quote