Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dolphins have some serious roster holes?

1. -11
    #onephin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    Yes, I believe he does, as I mostly agree with him. Martin is the team's #3 choice at LT, after not getting a deal done with Long and/or Albert. I hope this does work out but, if not, it would not shock me to see the Albert trade re-visited or, a vet added off final cuts for insurance.

I wanted Bradshaw but, he did not last long enough to see what we have at RB. I love Miller but, the 2nd RB is yet to be proven.

I'm good at CB for now.

I could also see a player or two added at LB, and maybe S and WR, depending on what happens in camp.

Count me among the clueless for now.
    Jonathan Martin was drafted last year specifically to replace Jake Long. He's been groomed for this since day 1, thus initially was always considered the #1 choice to take over the LT position. Yes, Jeff Ireland explored other options along the way but what he eventually settled with was supposed to be the original plan. Sorry if I'm the one to just now tell you that but that's what you're now currently seeing in action.

So unfortunately your clueless tally has been counted, thanks for playing...
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by number1fin View Post
    Jonathan Martin was drafted last year specifically to replace Jake Long. He's been groomed for this since day 1, thus initially was always considered the #1 choice to take over the LT position. Yes, Jeff Ireland explored other options along the way but what he eventually settled with was supposed to be the original plan. Sorry if I'm the one to just now tell you that but that's what you're now currently seeing in action.

I don't believe that for a second. No one expected us to just let Long walk last year. Everyone expected Long to be a part of the team for years to come. Martin was drafted to play RT...not LT.
    "May the acorns rest in peace..."
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by number1fin View Post

ďIíd like to clear the air on an article,Ē Ireland said. ďI donít normally go overboard on media speculation. But last night I saw an article about Jake Long. I have plans to keep Jake Long here for a long time. So, letís donít get ahead of ourselves. ÖWe drafted Jonathan Martin to be a tackle on this football team, a right tackle on this football team. Letís donít speculate any further than that
    http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...eron-wake.html

So yeah, about that.

Anyways, i didnt see anything wrong with the quote in the original post. We do still have questions. The interior of the offensive line has needed help for a few seasons now, Incognito isnt well suited for the zone blocking scheme we run and Jerry has proven he cant be relied upon. The secondary wasnt thrilling last season. We certainly improved with Grimes, but we have question marks at the other corner position. Not to mention we need alot better play from our free safety.

Id add that we need another receiving threat. For what we want to do on offense, 3 or 4 receivers that can line up all over the field. Instead, the only weapon we have is Wallace and perhaps Keller. Hartline is somewhat consistent but is adverse to finding the endzone and there is a reason why teams avoided signing Gibson.

We have some pieces to this franchise that will allow us to make noise in the future. But this roster still has some holes. We didnt do much to correct them, instead focused on replacing positions Ireland screwed up seasons earlier(tackle, receiver, linebacker). I get people are drinking the kool aid after this offseason, but if this roster was phenomenal and only needed a few upgrades we wouldnt have lost 9 games last year.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Phin View Post
    I don't believe that for a second. No one expected us to just let Long walk last year. Everyone expected Long to be a part of the team for years to come. Martin was drafted to play RT...not LT.
    Martin was drafted with the knowledge Long was an upcoming free agent and he may leave if he demanded too much money, considering his declining play over the last couple of years. No one expected Long to walk but, no one was surprised he did and it just so happens, we drafted a college LT the year before. Martin was drafted with the expectation he could do whatever was needed of him to do.

The write up is a little on point and a little off it. We don't really know what Martin will give us. This is the only possible hole though, although I THINK Martin will be fine. CB is better than last season and I'm comfortable with our RBs. Actually, the RBs are like the LT. I THINK Miller will be fine but, I don't know it 100%.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    #onephin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphin
    Since when do you speak for "no one", and "everyone"?

You can use generalizations like that till you're blue in the face but it still doesn't make it true.

If what you say is even remotely true, we would've never signed Tyson Clabo.

Why bring in a veteran RT instead of LT?

Why not just keep Martin at RT and by any means necessary, with all the money and picks, find a different alternative at LT?

Why not draft Lane Johnson?
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...eron-wake.html

So yeah, about that.

Anyways, i didnt see anything wrong with the quote in the original post. We do still have questions. The interior of the offensive line has needed help for a few seasons now, Incognito isnt well suited for the zone blocking scheme we run and Jerry has proven he cant be relied upon. The secondary wasnt thrilling last season. We certainly improved with Grimes, but we have question marks at the other corner position. Not to mention we need alot better play for our free safety.

Id add that we need another receiving threat. For what we want to do on offense, 3 or 4 receivers that can line up all over the field. Instead, the only weapon we have is Wallace and perhaps Keller. Hartline is somewhat consistent but is adverse to finding the endzone and there is a reason why teams avoided signing Gibson.

We have some pieces to this franchise that will allow us to make noise in the future. But this roster still has some holes. We didnt do much to correct them, instead focused on replacing positions Ireland screwed up seasons earlier(tackle, receiver, linebacker). I get people are drinking the kool aid after this offseason, but if this roster was phenomenal and only needed a few upgrades we wouldnt have lost 9 games last year.
    That quote means nothing. Do you expect any GM to draft a position that we have a "star" already at and say we drafted him to replace the "star"? This is one area every GM lies about. Incognito has adjusted to our scheme just fine. He was a pro bowler last year. This will be the year Jerry makes it or doesn't but, his problem has more to do with his weight than anything else. He hasn't proven anything either way yet. I would like some back up LBS and a back up safety but, there are no "holes" there. I'm good with seeing what our WRs can do before saying we have a hole there. We do need that 6' 4" red zone threat that will go up for the ball and snag it but, I wouldn't say we have a "hole" there.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Chest Rockwell is my hero

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dirty Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: Dolphins have some serious roster holes?

Mostly everyone expected Long to walk for more than one obvious reason. Not sure how anyone could think any differently.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    I believe any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle...Victorious

Quote Quote  

8. -18
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mbhcu98 View Post
    That quote means nothing. Do you expect any GM to draft a position that we have a "star" already at and say we drafted him to replace the "star"? This is one area every GM lies about. Incognito has adjusted to our scheme just fine. He was a pro bowler last year. This will be the year Jerry makes it or doesn't but, his problem has more to do with his weight than anything else. He hasn't proven anything either way yet. I would like some back up LBS and a back up safety but, there are no "holes" there. I'm good with seeing what our WRs can do before saying we have a hole there. We do need that 6' 4" red zone threat that will go up for the ball and snag it but, I wouldn't say we have a "hole" there.
    Of course, the old "its not true because i dont want it to be true".

And the premise your question is based on is flawed. Your presuming, without any evidence, that Martin was drafted to be a left tackle. You decided upon an answer before even typing that question.

Ireland drafted Martin to play the position he played last season, right tackle. He offered Long $9 million dollars. He tried to trade for Albert. In both actions and words, Ireland wanted Martin to be a right tackle. It was only after every other circumstance failed did we kick him over to the left side.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    #onephin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Ireland drafted Martin to play the position he played last season, right tackle. He offered Long $9 million dollars. He tried to trade for Albert. In both actions and words, Ireland wanted Martin to be a right tackle. It was only after every other circumstance failed did we kick him over to the left side.
    We kicked Martin over to LT before those circumstances you speak of, last year.

The evidence shows us LT is Martin's natural position.

You can't be that naive to think Jeff Ireland didn't have an insurance plan in place this whole time in case Jake Long got injured again or decided to leave in free agency.

I know he's not the best GM out there but give the guy a little credit for thinking ahead.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    You have made me angry very angry indeed

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Mars
    Thanks / No Thanks
    My only concern is LT and maybe CB, but really they have done a great job so far this offseason. The cherry on top would be getting Leach to sign, to spiff up the run game.

If You Never Do, You'll Never Know
    Quote Quote