Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38

Thread: Dolphins have some serious roster holes?

  1. -21
    SANDBILLY's Avatar
    vinyl junkie

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Nov 2004
    Posts:
    112
    vCash:
    1233
    Loc:
    canton nc
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Of course, the old "its not true because i dont want it to be true".

    And the premise your question is based on is flawed. Your presuming, without any evidence, that Martin was drafted to be a left tackle. You decided upon an answer before even typing that question.

    Ireland drafted Martin to play the position he played last season, right tackle. He offered Long $9 million dollars. He tried to trade for Albert. In both actions and words, Ireland wanted Martin to be a right tackle. It was only after every other circumstance failed did we kick him over to the left side.

    Point being unless you can read Irelands mind. You have no idea why Ireland drafted martin. but of course your speculation trumps everyone's else speculation
    because your such a dolphin homer ?
    Quote Quote  

  2. -22
    Dr. Phin's Avatar
    Scout Team

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2008
    Posts:
    6,348
    vCash:
    7558
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by number1fin View Post
    Since when do you speak for "no one", and "everyone"?

    You can use generalizations like that till you're blue in the face but it still doesn't make it true.

    If what you say is even remotely true, we would've never signed Tyson Clabo.

    Why bring in a veteran RT instead of LT?

    Why not just keep Martin at RT and by any means necessary, with all the money and picks, find a different alternative at LT?

    Why not draft Lane Johnson?
    Go read the reply from Spesh...then go and eat your crow.
    "May the acorns rest in peace..."
    Quote Quote  

  3. -23
    Dr. Phin's Avatar
    Scout Team

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2008
    Posts:
    6,348
    vCash:
    7558
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by number1fin View Post
    We kicked Martin over to LT before those circumstances you speak of, last year.

    The evidence shows us LT is Martin's natural position.

    You can't be that naive to think Jeff Ireland didn't have an insurance plan in place this whole time in case Jake Long got injured again or decided to leave in free agency.

    I know he's not the best GM out there but give the guy a little credit for thinking ahead.
    You don't get to change the argument once you have been shown to be wrong. Your statement that Ireland "drafted Martin specifically to replace Long" is just bull****. Ireland himself even stated that. But now we have folks saying that, "we can't believe the GM." What a load of crap.

    I guess the argument for you guys is, "Ireland doesn't even know what he drafted Martin for...we know better than Ireland himself....we know all!!!" Well thank you god for clarifying that....

    ---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by dolpns13 View Post
    Mostly everyone expected Long to walk for more than one obvious reason. Not sure how anyone could think any differently.

    Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    You guys and "revisionist thinking" is just precious. You're so cute...
    Quote Quote  

  4. -24
    MDFINFAN's Avatar
    Reach for the Stars

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2002
    Posts:
    21,325
    vCash:
    1082
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...eron-wake.html

    So yeah, about that.

    Anyways, i didnt see anything wrong with the quote in the original post. We do still have questions. The interior of the offensive line has needed help for a few seasons now, Incognito isnt well suited for the zone blocking scheme we run and Jerry has proven he cant be relied upon. The secondary wasnt thrilling last season. We certainly improved with Grimes, but we have question marks at the other corner position. Not to mention we need alot better play from our free safety.

    Id add that we need another receiving threat. For what we want to do on offense, 3 or 4 receivers that can line up all over the field. Instead, the only weapon we have is Wallace and perhaps Keller. Hartline is somewhat consistent but is adverse to finding the endzone and there is a reason why teams avoided signing Gibson.

    We have some pieces to this franchise that will allow us to make noise in the future. But this roster still has some holes. We didnt do much to correct them, instead focused on replacing positions Ireland screwed up seasons earlier(tackle, receiver, linebacker). I get people are drinking the kool aid after this offseason, but if this roster was phenomenal and only needed a few upgrades we wouldnt have lost 9 games last year.
    Can't argue your points too much as I agree with a lot of what you say.. I say technically we lost 7 games, and 2 missed FG's lost the other 2...so the team wasn't that bad... I'm like everyone else, waiting in terms of our LT being the answer. We did bring in Lance and Dallas to help Guard wise, both started for their teams a year along, so hopefully they add competition for this year's team. Again can't say what our OL is until they play the games..can they improve from last year, of course they can. Another year together always helps, especially the interior, who's play together the whole year. Only our RT wasn't with us, and Martin did get a month in at LT with this OL from last year. So we can only hope. I agree with the writer we probably do look for Vet. help at LT if nothing else as a competent backup if Martin should falter. In terms of our DB..don't know where we stand.. Grimes seems to be back, if Jones improves that's 2/4 of our starting db's getting better, even I think Clemmons did a good job last year, since he's been back there, I've forgotten about Gilbert from a few years ago when every deep pass seem to hit it's target..I like the speed of Clemmons...isn't he instinctive as I'd like, no, but he's getting better, so I guess 3/4 of our starting db's I like. Didn't get to see enough of Marshall to make an assessment. So the perceived holes as we have without knowing if we've fix them to me are LT, 1 cb, 1 nickle back, I don't know how the new LB's will work out, and did Tannehill take another step.. but that's what this year about, isn't it.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -25
    number1fin's Avatar
    #onephin

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2012
    Posts:
    1,373
    vCash:
    1087
    Loc:
    NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Phin View Post
    You don't get to change the argument once you have been shown to be wrong. Your statement that Ireland "drafted Martin specifically to replace Long" is just bull****. Ireland himself even stated that. But now we have folks saying that, "we can't believe the GM." What a load of crap.

    I guess the argument for you guys is, "Ireland doesn't even know what he drafted Martin for...we know better than Ireland himself....we know all!!!" Well thank you god for clarifying that....
    Allow me to clarify further...

    http://www.phinnation.com/jeff-irela...ss-conference/

    Ireland: (Will Jonathan Martin move to left tackle?) Im going to let my coaching staff decide, at the end of this process, where Jonathan Martin plays. I think what we do have is a flexible player, a versitile player that can play left, can play right. I think his development has been good, I think he has a long way to go to play right or left, to be a really really good player thats what we want him to be. We have all of our options open, still free agents on the street, still guys on the trade market that are available, and we have the draft that is 2 weeks away, that we could go that route as well. Well be active in one of those pieces and maybe more.
    No free agent LT signed
    No trade for a LT
    No LT draft pick selected

    Obviously Coach Philbin was loyal to Jake Long but thought Jonathan Martin was smart enough to make the transition between positions for a season.

    Furthermore...

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...at-left-tackle

    "He's more fluid over there," center Mike Pouncey said this week. "You can tell when he's kick sliding that way he's more comfortable being in a left-handed stance. Obviously, he wanted to play over there last year, but he was forced to play the right side, and I think he's going to do a great job."
    Now put two and two together and what do you get?
    Quote Quote  

  6. -26
    rent this space's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    3,871
    vCash:
    5450
    Thanks / No Thanks
    it's funny that Ireland slammed the article in the Sun-Sentinel but things came to pass exactly the way it predicted.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -27
    EvilDylan's Avatar
    Scout Team

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2008
    Posts:
    2,720
    vCash:
    4969
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Re: Dolphins have some serious roster holes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Phin View Post

    I guess the argument for you guys is, "Ireland doesn't even know what he drafted Martin for...we know better than Ireland himself....we know all!!!" Well thank you god for clarifying that....

    ---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------



    You guys and "revisionist thinking" is just precious. You're so cute...


    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

    Isn't that exactly what you're doing?

    Super cute, guy.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -28
    Atila - the freshmaker.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    3,169
    vCash:
    4971
    Loc:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm not reading the article, but "our secondary is better than last season" is not really saying a lot - our secondary was in the bottom half of the league last year.


    www.DiamondandDesign.com
    Quote Quote  

  9. -29
    Spesh's Avatar
    Fat Kid

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    7,172
    vCash:
    4777
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by number1fin View Post
    We kicked Martin over to LT before those circumstances you speak of, last year.

    The evidence shows us LT is Martin's natural position.

    You can't be that naive to think Jeff Ireland didn't have an insurance plan in place this whole time in case Jake Long got injured again or decided to leave in free agency.

    I know he's not the best GM out there but give the guy a little credit for thinking ahead.
    Our coaches kicked Martin over to left tackle in an emergency. I hope to god Ireland isnt involved with our game planning, though i dont have any evidence of that one way or the other.

    The evidence wasnt compelling enough for Ireland. He tried to hand Long a huge contract. He tried to trade a high draft pick for Albert. Neither of those moves says "i think Martin is a natural".

    He didnt have a plan after he traded Brandon Marshall. I dont see why he would have a plan in case Long left. His drafts and free agent pick ups paint the picture of a man who addresses a problem after its occured.

    If i believed he had thought ahead id give him the credit he would have deserved. I havent seen anything to suggest the words that came out of his mouth are false. If people want to praise him for drafting Tannehill or Jordan, then i have no problem with that. But this is a stretch. It reminds me of when people insisted Ireland hired Philbin, when in reality he tried to hire Mike McCoy and Ross ignored him.

    ---------- Post added at 03:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by SANDBILLY View Post
    Point being unless you can read Irelands mind. You have no idea why Ireland drafted martin. but of course your speculation trumps everyone's else speculation
    because your such a dolphin homer ?
    Id like to clear the air on an article, Ireland said. I dont normally go overboard on media speculation. But last night I saw an article about Jake Long. I have plans to keep Jake Long here for a long time. So, lets dont get ahead of ourselves. We drafted Jonathan Martin to be a tackle on this football team, a right tackle on this football team. Lets dont speculate any further than that.
    http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...eron-wake.html

    There you go. You must have missed that the first time i linked it.
    Quote Originally Posted by finfan54 View Post
    its all right, Im a rice dick apparently.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -30
    number1fin's Avatar
    #onephin

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2012
    Posts:
    1,373
    vCash:
    1087
    Loc:
    NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Our coaches kicked Martin over to left tackle in an emergency. I hope to god Ireland isnt involved with our game planning, though i dont have any evidence of that one way or the other.

    The evidence wasnt compelling enough for Ireland. He tried to hand Long a huge contract. He tried to trade a high draft pick for Albert. Neither of those moves says "i think Martin is a natural".

    He didnt have a plan after he traded Brandon Marshall. I dont see why he would have a plan in case Long left. His drafts and free agent pick ups paint the picture of a man who addresses a problem after its occured.

    If i believed he had thought ahead id give him the credit he would have deserved. I havent seen anything to suggest the words that came out of his mouth are false. If people want to praise him for drafting Tannehill or Jordan, then i have no problem with that. But this is a stretch. It reminds me of when people insisted Ireland hired Philbin, when in reality he tried to hire Mike McCoy and Ross ignored him.
    This has morphed into a defend Ireland's track record discussion, which is something I'm not really trying to do.

    I will say that you'd have to be either blind to the facts or just straight up uninformed when presented with information that tells you GM's across the board have multiple contingency plans that are ever changing in case something anticipated or unforeseen takes place. Successors are often put in place without it sometimes being announced and made crystal clear in the moment. Cap management is studied and prepared years in advance with contract lengths determined to expire in a calculated fashion. Somes moves are set in motion at the last minute which can backfire and cause panic to set in, which in some cases forces ones hand to make hasty decisions that are not thought out properly. Changes in philosophy dictates change in management assertion. In some cases it's necessary to take two steps back tactically in order to move four steps further at a unspecified date. At times, personalities can clash and you're stuck between a rock and a hard place, while other times opportunity can fall right into your lap seemingly out of no where.

    I say all those things to get the point across that the job of a GM is never so black and white. You will hit and miss on many transactions. But it's clear to anyone who really pays attention that these guys think on the fly a lot, but they also have a multitude of preparation skills that enable them to carry out many tasks that your average fan is simply not privy to.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 62
    Last Post: 12-14-2012, 05:34 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-30-2012, 11:04 AM
  3. Where will the Phins go to fill the holes in the roster?
    By Green Phin in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-11-2008, 12:50 PM
  4. what holes in our roster do you see as potential problems?
    By finsgonewild in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-21-2006, 04:12 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •