Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: First Five Games... Prediction time

1. -1
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

First Five Games... Prediction time

So, how do we think the run up to the bye week will look for the Fins? Below my own thoughts, which would put us at 3-2. Interested to hear other people's analysis of the first five games.

Week 1: Browns (at Cleveland)
    If we are the team we think we are, we beat the Browns. Easy to say, isn't it? Just like that, we've won. Hmmm.
    Actually, I think that's a fair observation. Last season the Browns went 5-11, losing 5 straight at the start and 3 straight at the end. In mitigation, they're in a very tough division and they had a punishing schedule last year. When you look at it - bar a loss to the Bills and a win over the Bengals - they beat every team they were better than and lost to every team that was better than them.

I don't see a lot from the offseason, that would change them dramatically. They still have an erratic, learning QB. They are going to lean on Josh Gordon heavily and one wonders if he has the maturity to take on that responsibility. Bess will help a little, but we know only too well he's not a gamechanger. Defensively, they're OK and the additions of Mingo, Kruger and McFadden will help. It's not a defense to quake at though.

I don't believe the Browns have a team to hit us with many explosive plays, so in a game of inches I see those inches all belonging to Miami. You also figure Weeden is good for a turnover or two in our favour.

Miami WIN.

Week 2: Colts (at Indy)
    If Indy was running it's 2012 offense again this year, I think this game would be cause for concern. But they've switched to a more dink-and-dunk - which goes away from Luck's strengths imo, and are likely to have some teething trouble with it. Given it's a timing offense now, the O-line becomes a lot more important and the WR relationships are key. The Colts o-line was not good last season. They drafted 2 guys to help out and traded for Cherilus. This new line is a work in progress. Similarly, they lost Avery and Collie, signing Heyward-Bey. We saw how much our (albeit subpar) WR corps struggled early with the WCO switch.

Their run game is spotty at best. We can use our ability at run stuffing and their weakness there to empty the box and force Luck to be perfect or get picked.

Defensively, they are not very frightening at all in the front 7. Walden, Mathis and rookie Werner are powerful guys but there's not much explosiveness there. Their secondary features Landry, Toler, Bethea and some guy called Vontae Davis. It's solid but not the stuff of nightmares.

All in all, I think it's a good matchup for us. Later in the season when their offense clicks, that might not be so true. This is a game where we need to test whether our quest for turnovers and more pass pressure worked. If we can get at Luck early and make him question the new system and the playcalls, I think we could win this quite comfortably. If not, I still see us as better than 50:50 to win.

Miami WIN

Week 3: Falcons (at home)
    Atlanta were awesome in the regular season last year. I can't predict one single reason why they wouldn't be awesome in the regular season this year. They bolstered their run game with Jackson, added Osi to the d-line, drafted a couple of great CBs, another nice DE/LB in Goodman and a monster blocking TE in Toilolo. Gonzalez is sticking around for one more year.
    If we win this one, all bets are off.

Atlanta WIN

Week 4: Saints (at New Orleans)
    This is a team with glaring weaknesses. They had a crappy defense last season. They've hired the league's most overrated DC in Rob Ryan and they've not added huge quality to the D in the offseason, bar maybe Keenan Lewis at CB and - assuming you rate him, which I don't a lot - Kenny Vaccaro. Draftee John Jenkins at NT will help their awful front 7, esp as they transition to the 3-4, but you can't help but feel there will be growing pains.
    Problem is, if you score 4 TDs the Saints will score 5. Their offensive system is a joy to watch, with Brees making chicken salad out of an offensive group with few stars but a lot of yards. This is an awful matchup for Miami. Even if our defense can limit their awesome TD-scoring ability, can we really depend on our awful TD record having transformed by game 4 into something to out-gun the Saints?

I say no. Later in the season, when we may be really clicking, who knows? The teams who beat the Saints last year scored an average of 35 points. We just won't be there by Game 4, imo.

New Orleans WIN

Game 5: Ravens (at home)
    This is the hardest game to call of the five for me. No question, the Ravens will not be the same team - in terms of leadership, talismanic presence and experience - as they were last year. There's likely to be a post-SB hangover of sorts. They'll have started with a pretty tough schedule themselves - Denver and Houston in the first two games. Unlike the Saints, I have to say I like the matchup, but that's not to say I think it'll be easy.

Their O-line was rejigged in the postseason - with McKinnie coming back in - and it was stellar for those 4 games. But McKinnie is no spring chicken and we're adding a lot of speed to our already powerful defense. The o-line might find us hard to handle and - when Flacco didn't have the armchair ride he enjoyed in the postseason, his numbers drop off a cliff.

Why I also like our matchup is that the Ravens will lean on their RB and TEs without Boldin. We know we can deal with the run game, esp if Leach leaves. But, having stolen Ellerbee from Balt and added the other pieces, I think we can handle Pitta and Dickson better than we've done in years.

They let a lot of defensive players go and replaced them with very "Ravens" players - tough as nails, canny competitors. You wouldn't call the defense explosive though - tough yes, but quick - not really. Our newly modelled offense could match up well here. Wallace, in particular, needs a big day here. It's also a day to recall Philbin's recent comment that "sometimes you like a big body in the slot, to go across the field and compete for the ball" In Gibson, BInns and even Matthews (not to mention our TEs) we have some physical receivers to take on the Raven traditional area of domination. On the other hand, Baltimore just find a way of getting it done defensively, so we will have to be on it to win.

I worry about our O-line against the Ravens. They're real trench warfare guys, who could expose our more "finesse" linemen like Martin, Clabo or Jerry. Our run game might stutter also. This could be a game where we find out if the winner of the Carp/Sturgis battle was a worthy one.

Miami WIN (by a point or two)

So, 3:2 and a job well done, heading into a much-needed bye.

Other perspectives?
    Last edited by Fin Thirteen; 07-05-2013 at 10:24 AM.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - S. Beckett
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That is a tough first 5 games on paper. Those last 3 look like losses and while the first 2 look like wins they could go either way. You need to be a minimum 2-3, if you are 3-2 you will be in great shape.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We are going at least 5-0 through those games. Maybe 7-0.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Obviously, if you are going to be 16-0 then you have to be 5-0.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    My reaction to that post is uncannily similar to your signature!!!
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ohio
    Thanks / No Thanks
    There are always at least 2 teams each season that rise or drop significantly from the previous year. If the fins are what I think, they'll be 4-1 or 5-0 at bye. There's no lack of talent to do it, they need to gel and want it.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    2-3, better record after the bye for sure.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    4-1 im calling my shot now the fins shock the saints on Monday nite football
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fin Thirteen View Post
    My reaction to that post is uncannily similar to your signature!!!
    Well, my sig is awesome so... you're welcome.

Look, I understand it's the offseason and everything, but forgive me for injecting a little sarcasm into a thread about what's going to happen in week 5. I mean, sheesh. Who the hell knows? It's hard enough to predict what's going to happen the day before a day.

From a situational perspective I think we're in good position against both the Colts and Ravens, who you would expect to have some sort of let down, especially early in the season. But anything beyond that doesn't count for much more than monkey spunk.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    W
    l
    l
    l
    w

---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by oorrgg View Post
    4-1 im calling my shot now the fins shock the saints on Monday nite football
    A 7-9 team beating a 7-9 team really would not shock anyone.
    "Coach Sparano assured us at the beginning of the week, they win the turnover battle, they win the game," guard Richie Incognito said. "And we went out there, turned the ball over."
    Quote Quote