Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Philbin A Leader of Men?

1. -21
    In Foro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Homestead, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    Huh? Who is asking this question or are skeptical? He did fine last year and there are numerous articles about how the players like him. He is calm, has a dry humor but is strict and respected by his players. Who is saying he is in over his head? First time I heard that.

This
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Bellingham, MA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like what I've seen from Philbin a lot. But too be fair most of us liked the last guy after his first season as well. What I really like about Philbin is he seems to have a vision of the kind of team he wants and stuck to hat plan despite having deficient personnel. For instance sticking with the up tempo no huddle offense he wanted despite having a rookie QB and lacking he type of WR's needed for that type of offense. Hopefully this gives the players that are still here a big advantage having played in at system last year. He also seems to have an idea of he pieces he needs to run his offense, hopefully we got this in the offseason. At this point I'm not worried about Philbin one bit. If I see a sluggish offense ill start worrying.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    FWIW, this is a question around South Beach. Some do not think he has the emotion to get the best from his players. Others believe that he walks softly but, carries a big stick (aka cut from team). Still others believe that he is in over his head.

Your opinions?
    He reminds me of Tony Dungy. Calm, reserved, smart...but committed to a system. That seemed to work out well enough for Tampa and Indy.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He's ascended to one of the 32 only positions of it's kind in the country. He's doing alright.

Thanks Shifty!

Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Who's asking or doubting?
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    SC.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Who gives a **** what anyone on South Beach has to say.

Think about this. They like Kim Kardashian. That tells me all I need to know about south beach and how much brain power resides there.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Squirrel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Southeastern PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    To me, this is one of two questions that we'll get answered this year. Is Philbin the man to be coach? I think he earned some respect and didn't hurt himself in year one, and I wish him the best in year two. He will have some interesting challenges this year putting together a team with many new talents and with higher expectations.

Question #2 for this year is whether Tannehill will improve and continue to develop as we hope he will. Philbin has a huge impact on that as well.

If Philbin likes challenges, I think he's at the right place. What a great opportunity.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    interesting thread...but not sure why philbin would be questioned...first thing a head coach needs to do is find his qb to hitch his wagon to and pretty much you ride or die off that decision...lucky for philbin he's got a good one...after that it's mostly about motivating the players and getting them to show up for you each and every week and outside of after we beat the jets in new york and came home feeling our oats and got destroyed by a at best average titans team and a bad qb where virtually everyone no showed and week 17 when the players were already thinking about the offseason philbins players showed up every week and gave it their all...i'll take a coach that the players give him max effort for 14 out of 16 weeks in year one of a plain and simple rebuild season no problem...

the players respect and play hard for philbin...the only thing we need now to win em over for the long haul is the wins...and that will come with the qb he's hitched his wagon to
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whizafriz View Post
    There were a few coaching decisions by Philbin that were questionable last year... (trying to ice the kicker and backfiring)
    Standard operating procedure for most coaches these days.
    Pat
    Offensive Coordinator
    www.londonblitz.com
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    interesting thread...but not sure why philbin would be questioned...first thing a head coach needs to do is find his qb to hitch his wagon to and pretty much you ride or die off that decision...lucky for philbin he's got a good one...after that it's mostly about motivating the players and getting them to show up for you each and every week and outside of after we beat the jets in new york and came home feeling our oats and got destroyed by a at best average titans team and a bad qb where virtually everyone no showed and week 17 when the players were already thinking about the offseason philbins players showed up every week and gave it their all...i'll take a coach that the players give him max effort for 14 out of 16 weeks in year one of a plain and simple rebuild season no problem...

the players respect and play hard for philbin...the only thing we need now to win em over for the long haul is the wins...and that will come with the qb he's hitched his wagon to
    I think it's a bit more than that hoops, otherwise anybody with a good QB and a handful of Al Pacino quotes could be a good head coach. Sparano did a nice job coming in and motivating a bunch of players who had given up to work hard and get rewarded with a championship game. But he was very limited strategically, he was behind the curve on the evolution of the game and his motivational box of tricks got pretty stale pretty quickly. He had a pathological love of fieldgoals too.

Philbin is a guy who does everything Sparano couldn't do. He is the anti-Sparano (apart from the o-line coaching origins). He's the planner in the coaching hierarchy - the strategist. He has put a huge amount of effort into structuring what goes on off the field to maximise performance on it. He is the guy looking at the development of the sport and where opportunities exist to exploit that development. There is no question in my mind that he is NOT going to slavishly try to replicate the Packers in Miami.

He's also quite ballsy - something Sparano definitely wasn't. Sparano would never have started Tannehill in Game 1. Sparano wouldn't have let Bush go in the offseason. Sparano wouldn't have tried the fake punt, the onside kick, the (unsuccessful) fake field goal, the 2-point conversions. I say that knowing Sherman did the playcalling (in its own way a ballsy decision by Philbin).

Hopefully, with this approach we win more. Because then, success will beget confidence and more success. In that version of events, there's less reliance on "rah, rah, rah" style motivation and it's more about a culture of performance.

Where I have a reservation about Philbin is if we don't win as much as we want. We have two fairly reserved, cerebral leaders in Philbin and Tannehill - neither of which are inspirational figures in the stereotypical sense. If the wheels come off in some way (injury, bad luck, poor play) Philbin better hope Sherman and Coyle and Turner and Rogers and Campbell and O'Keefe all fill the motivational void and get guys fired up.

So, for the long run, I am pretty confident we have one of the right guys. If we get a prolonged dip in the short run, Philbin might need to lean on a few guys so that he's still around for the long-run.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - S. Beckett
    Quote Quote