Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: 5 Position Battles To Watch In Training Camp

1. -1
    grip it and rip it

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    DolphinDolphinDolphin

5 Position Battles To Watch In Training Camp

http://www.thefinsiders.com/blog/201...-training-camp

1) 4th and 5th Wide Receiver Positions - The offseason has definitely helped strengthen this position with the additions of Mike Wallace, Brandon Gibson and the re-signing of Brian Hartline. These players give the Dolphins flexibility in their offensive scheme because of the skill set of the group and the athlete at tight end in Dustin Keller. The big question mark is who will emerge to complete this group and give second-year quarterback Ryan Tannehill additional options on the edge?

Rishard Matthews is a virtual lock, in my opinion, for one of the two spots available going into training camp. He brings consistency, toughness to go over the middle and flexibility to play inside or outside. Also, he can be used on multiple phases of special teams and that is always a huge advantage. Armon Binns and Brian Tyms are two names to pay close attention to because of their solid play during OTAís and mini-camp. Both have the talent to make this team and should challenge and push Matthews.
    Newcomer Marvin McNutt also will factor in this competition and heíll need to flash at some point in practice and carry that into the preseason games. Some other names that should be mentioned but are long shots to stick: Chad Bumphis and Courtney Gardner.

2) Defensive End Opposite Cam Wake Ė This is a battle that will have an effect on the best player on defense, Cam Wake. If players like rookie Dion Jordan, Olivier Vernon or Derrick Shelby can emerge to alter how opposing coordinators scheme to slow down Wake, it makes this side of the ball that much better. Jordan has a lot of catching up to do, but his job early should be very simplistic; rushing the quarterback is what he does best and thatís what the Dolphins defense has bee.n missing opposite Wake. I look for Dion to play in situations that play to his strengths and line up in multiple looks along the defensive front

Vernon looks more like an every-down player entering his second season and is my favorite to start on opening day at Cleveland. He now has a year of experience and the upside is enormous. Shelby showed flashes of explosiveness last season and Iím curious to see his development during camp. I believe this staff has confidence in his ability, and like what he brings to the table. One other name to watch at this position is Vaughn Martin. He might be used somewhat like Jared Odrick, moving from tackle to end in certain defensive groupings, but heís one to look for as camp gets started.

The other three are kicker , cornerback and running back. (see article)

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    grip it and rip it

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    DolphinDolphinDolphin
    I'm anxious to see if Odrick moves inside permanently and if OV can hold down the starting DE position.
    Jordan will also get lots of work here in passing situations I'm sure. Shelby also flashed here in preseason last year so he'll get plenty of work as well.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ocean County, NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Odrick has got to kick in for good . I really don't see it any other way and think he would kill it inside full time
    EARTHCWAKEEEEEEEEEEE! #91
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    I think the DE battle will be the most fun to watch. Either Jordan or Vernon are solid voices and both should make things interesting. I'd be excited about the kicker competition if I wasn't sure Sturgis was the guy.
    Quote Quote