Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: To what extent is Shula to blame for Marino never winning a ring?

1. -41
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tulsa, OK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    There was never anybody on the other side of the ball to take over the game. When a defensive stop was needed it just wasn't there. The offence(Dan) would press and we would fail. The bills had a real good D to go along with the K-gun. This is were Shula didn't do well. He was insanely loyal to Ollvidiot and the lack of a playmaker hurt. In the 90s Dan started to press more in the playoffs. It was a downhill after that. There just wasn't enough talent in key areas to get the job done. I refuse to blame because when the ball was rolling, it was a beautiful site.
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Basically bad luck w deaths and i jnjuries as well as some of the worst drafts of the entire dolphin era doomed us. Shula as gm failed the dolphins but this is proof that a great qb doesnt guarantee a superbowl.
    Many people dont want to give belichek credit because he has brady but no player can win a superbowl by himself
    When death smiles upon you, the Infantry man smiles back. WV says Im not a patriot and Jeff Ireland is a Boss so it must be true.
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Just moved to Charlotte.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Bottom line to me was GM Shula coaches Marino himself were never smart enough to realize we needed a RB to compliment the passing game. Just look at Elway he won nothing till Terrell Davis came along. The death of Overstreet was A big blow.
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Shula hired Tom Olivadotti, as the DC, and kept him around. I remember how frustrating it was to always watch Dan have a great game, but then our defense did nothing, so Dan was forced to try and win it all by himself. Maybe at times Dan tried to do a little too much, but I have never seen a QB with more fire and desire than Dan. We couldn't stop the Buffalo Bill's offense during this time, and even a pretty average QB like the Jet's Ken O'Brien was throwing for around 500 yards on the Phin's D. I remember the Jets beating us 51-45 one time. Just ridiculous. Dan would have had 4 or 5 rings with the Niners or Steeler's D.
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Bay Area, Ca
    Thanks / No Thanks
    No Run game and the worst DC in the history of Football coupled with train wrecks like Brian Socia, Paul Lankford, William Judson, Rick Graf, TJ Turner, John Bosa, Eric Kumereu, etc.
    Quote Quote