Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: To what extent is Shula to blame for Marino never winning a ring?

1. -31
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I disagree about Shula being mostly to blame. I think he is a big part of it, but you can't put the blame entirely on him

Marino simply didn't get it done in the playoffs. The Dolphins got to the playoffs often enough to leave very little doubt about that.

He was also notorious for audibling out of running plays. The Dolphins may not have had great RBs or a great running game, but they were able to run the ball despite popular opinion now-a-days. Higgs got it done when he was there.

The D coordinator is one of the biggest reasons, but Marino always gets a pass on his Playoff play because of all those gaudy career passing stats
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I really disagree with the idea that Shula didn't have the nuts to stand up to Marino. When you're a coach with Shula's track record, you have the clout to tell any QB where to stick it - especially in those days. Bill Walsh was always VERY hard on Montana, and he always demanded that Montana do things Walsh's way. Before Montana, how many rings did Walsh have? So for a coach with Shula's record with the Dolphins to cower to the will of a young QB? That's bull****. I wish I was alive to experience the Dolphins when they were great, but I still respect and appreciate what he did for the franchise.

But during Marino's years, he didn't put together the teams (both players and coaches) or the game plans to win at a high level. You COULD NOT win at a high level throwing the ball as much as we did. It was a different game. It's silly to blame for Marino for failing under circumstances where anyone else would have failed - Elway, Montana, Unitas, ANYONE.
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    SC.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dan Marino could not win a super bowl by himself. And this is why he never won one!
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Unfortunately, most of the picks under him flopped and the running game was kinda tough to establish, but otherwise, they did all they could. 347 wins, that is all.
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Shula evolved, all right, he went form a run-heavy attack in the 70s, to Wood-Strock in the 80s and then the all-out passing attack with Marino. But he shouldn't have been in charge of the draft. Terrible drafts were the reason the team couldn't take the next step.

Also, hiring his son Dave and have him call plays for a while was a terrible mistake, but that was minor compared to the dearth of talent on defense.

As far as the DCs, it's easy to blame them for the lack of quality defense, but c'mon, what did they have to work with? Very little.
    Why so gloomy?
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You win with talent. Great coaching (also a talent) can make lesser talent into a great team. I think that is why Shula has so many wins. But in the playoffs you are against other teams with talent and good to great coaching. As good as Shula was, he couldn't make up for the lack of talent on the field, against good competition.

So the question is why was there a lack of talent. That has been answered well, in this thread. And I must say, I am impressed with the quality of those answers. This is the first time I have read here, a realistic discussion, without Shula blinders on. Great thread. I would have loved to have seen Marino surrounded with talent.
    Quote Quote  

7. -37
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    People have alluded to it, but no one directly discussed the scouting department. While Shula had final say over draft picks, there is a serious problem when players like Eric Kumerow and John Bosa etc. are rated so highly.
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    North Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    because marino sold out the stadium, there was never any incentive for ownership to spend the money! arnsparger was a big loss
    Quote Quote  

9. -39
    Winner Under Construction

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SF Dolphin Fan View Post
    . . . And I still don't understand how they couldn't get a running game going during that time frame.
    One theory is that we were maybe too obsessed with protecting an immobile QB. As a result, we always had great pass protectors who couldn't run block well at all. Not a bad theory IMO.
    The superior man blames himself. The inferior man blames others.

- Don Shula

Quote Quote  

10. -40
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Shula's blind allegance to Ollividatti is what I feel was Shula's problem, in my opinion.
    Quote Quote