Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Draft Shortcomings- FA Has Made Us Average.

1. -11
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonBoss View Post
    Soo........Our draft picks and free agent pickups need to work out or the Dolphins won't be too good?

Way to go out on a limb.
    I count on you to catch me from the limb with your insight.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_dolfan View Post
    So many repeated threads. If draft picks had worked out they wouldnt be playing for free.
    Sorry to bore you UK. From what I understand, you can put up another thread, which is new, and not be bothered by posting to this one.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's about the home grown talent. I think you can use grouping mechanisms to skew things a little bit and say this or say that.

The Patriots in 2012 only had about 16% of their snaps taken by significant outside acquisitions (Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd, Deion Branch, Daniel Fells, Visanthe Shiancoe, Kellen Winslow, Steve Gregory, Aqib Talib). The rest were taken by home-growns (guys who as far as I can tell have never even taken a snap outside of New England) or guys that were little insignificant waiver wire type pickups at the time they were acquired (Rob Ninkovich, Donald Thomas, Danny Woodhead, etc).

Miami in 2012 had about 26% of their snaps in 2012 taken up by significant outside acquisitions like Anthony Fasano, Richie Incognito, Matt Moore, Reggie Bush, Randy Starks, Tony McDaniel, Karlos Dansby, Kevin Burnett, Richard Marshall and Dimitri Patterson. I think the point being raised in this thread is that if you look at the sources of the 26.3% and then what's happened this off season, that number is about to go up significantly. Reggie Bush and Tony McDaniel are out and both look like they'll be replaced from within by home-growns/cheapies, but that's only 837 snaps. Karlos Dansby (1123) and Kevin Burnett (1096) are out but Phil Wheeler and Dannell Ellerbe have replaced them, so that's a wash. Anthony Fasano (921) is out but Dustin Keller replaces him, another wash. Yet now instead of 95% of our receiver snaps coming from home-growns/cheapies, we're looking at Mike Wallace and possibly Brandon Gibson being two out of the top three players at that position. That's probably 1400 more snaps going to expensive outsiders. You sub out Jake Long for Tyson Clabo, you're looking at another 1000 snaps to an expensive outsider. If they replace Jorvorskie with Vonta Leach that's another 300 snaps. If Richard Marshall plays the whole year as opposed to how he got hurt last year then that'll be an extra 700 snaps he'll be hawking away as an expensive outside acquisition. Give another 1000 snaps to Brent Grimes while we're at it.

This suggests that upwards of 44% of the team's snaps in 2013 could be taken by expensive outside acquisitions. That's a lot.

Someone mentioned the Seahawks as a model for what the Dolphins are doing and I'm not sure I see that. Taking aside what the Seahawks have done this off season, only 14.6% of their snaps in 2012 were taken by significant outside acquisitions (TE Zach Miller, WR Sidney Rice, RB Marshawn Lynch, DT Jason Jones, WR Braylon Edwards, RB Leon Washington, QB Matt Flynn). They acquired Percy Harvin, Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril and Antoine Winfield, while ditching Jason Jones, Braylon Edwards, Leon Washington and Matt Flynn. This should increase their percentage taken by significant acquisitions but I doubt it'll even come close to Miami's expected 44%. I don't particularly feel like mapping out the full impact of their acquisitions but they'd have to be adding on like 7000 more snaps in order to catch up with what Miami looks like it's about to be doing.
    Last edited by ckparrothead; 07-10-2013 at 05:40 PM.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    CK, love the twitter pic. Good stuff.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    It's about the home grown talent. I think you can use grouping mechanisms to skew things a little bit and say this or say that.

The Patriots in 2012 only had about 16% of their snaps taken by significant outside acquisitions (Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd, Deion Branch, Daniel Fells, Visanthe Shiancoe, Kellen Winslow, Steve Gregory, Aqib Talib). The rest were taken by home-growns (guys who as far as I can tell have never even taken a snap outside of New England) or guys that were little insignificant waiver wire type pickups at the time they were acquired (Rob Ninkovich, Donald Thomas, Danny Woodhead, etc).

Miami in 2012 had about 26% of their snaps in 2012 taken up by significant outside acquisitions like Anthony Fasano, Richie Incognito, Matt Moore, Reggie Bush, Randy Starks, Tony McDaniel, Karlos Dansby, Kevin Burnett, Richard Marshall and Dimitri Patterson. I think the point being raised in this thread is that if you look at the sources of the 26.3% and then what's happened this off season, that number is about to go up significantly. Reggie Bush and Tony McDaniel are out and both look like they'll be replaced from within by home-growns/cheapies, but that's only 837 snaps. Karlos Dansby (1123) and Kevin Burnett (1096) are out but Phil Wheeler and Dannell Ellerbe have replaced them, so that's a wash. Anthony Fasano (921) is out but Dustin Keller replaces him, another wash. Yet now instead of 95% of our receiver snaps coming from home-growns/cheapies, we're looking at Mike Wallace and possibly Brandon Gibson being two out of the top three players at that position. That's probably 1400 more snaps going to expensive outsiders. You sub out Jake Long for Tyson Clabo, you're looking at another 1000 snaps to an expensive outsider. If they replace Jorvorskie with Vonta Leach that's another 300 snaps. If Richard Marshall plays the whole year as opposed to how he got hurt last year then that'll be an extra 700 snaps he'll be hawking away as an expensive outside acquisition. Give another 1000 snaps to Brent Grimes while we're at it.

This suggests that upwards of 44% of the team's snaps in 2013 could be taken by expensive outside acquisitions. That's a lot.

Someone mentioned the Seahawks as a model for what the Dolphins are doing and I'm not sure I see that. Taking aside what the Seahawks have done this off season, only 14.6% of their snaps in 2012 were taken by significant outside acquisitions (TE Zach Miller, WR Sidney Rice, RB Marshawn Lynch, DT Jason Jones, WR Braylon Edwards, RB Leon Washington, QB Matt Flynn). They acquired Percy Harvin, Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril and Antoine Winfield, while ditching Jason Jones, Braylon Edwards, Leon Washington and Matt Flynn. This should increase their percentage taken by significant acquisitions but I doubt it'll even come close to Miami's expected 44%. I don't particularly feel like mapping out the full impact of their acquisitions but they'd have to be adding on like 7000 more snaps in order to catch up with what Miami looks like it's about to be doing.
    However for what long would've cost us, outside of wheeler, Wallace, and Ellerbe, Long's contract pretty much would've eaten up many of our other FA contracts, to include our new RT. Looking at our remaining cap and who we signed before and after long signed with St. Louis, I will concede that we would've signed everyone we eventually signed, with the exception of Clabo.
    "I didn't feel like we had to score," Tannehill said. "I had the mindset we were going to score."

Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pueblo West CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Let's say an average draft nets 3-4starters. In general it takes 7 years to replenish a starting roster with players, based on the short life span of a player and free agency this rate increases. I get the whole build through the draft argument, and that my math is general at best, but looking at it this way is basically meaningless. If you want to take into account the strength of the entire roster 53 and practice squad, superstars, good players at impact spots and numerous other variables go for it. I just think this whole discussion can be rerouted into several valuable points and really not provide a direct correlation how the OP's thought truly impacts a teams success.

MY FAM
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I believe scheme change can make that number go up as well. the move to the zone-blocking scheme, the west-coast offense and the 4-3 defense all at once required a ton of new types of players in a short period of time. it doesn't mean bad drafting in every case
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    in the end its coaching and qb.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    we have a lot of home growns to be/are:

lamar miller
    D. Thomas
    pounce
    martin
    Thomas g/t
    dion simms
    dion Jordan
    reshad jones
    clemmons
    misi
    odrick
    the two rookie cb's
    carroll
    hartline
    reshad Matthews
    Olivier Vernon
    soliai

not really sure anything matters on home grown here unless your talking starters, but this team is loaded w/ talent at every position.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Finaholic

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Sanford Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Must be a slow day
    Quote Quote