Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Jay Bilas Reacts to NCAA Statement

  1. -1
    rob19's Avatar
    Soul Rebel

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    7,169
    vCash:
    6437
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo

    Jay Bilas Reacts to NCAA Statement



    To summarize, he called it a "laughably absurd scare-tactic", & "beneath the NCAA's dignity".
    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    WVDolphan's Avatar
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2005
    Posts:
    14,392
    vCash:
    4507
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins Logo
    The NCAA is a joke.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -3
    uk_dolfan's Avatar
    Super Donator

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2012
    Posts:
    7,009
    vCash:
    15452
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo

    Re: Jay Bilas Reacts to NCAA Statement

    I dont watch college sports because the sysstem is a joke. The coaching staff get paid millions per year but the players dont get a penny and get in trouble for trying to make some money out of it? Disgraceful.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -4
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2008
    Posts:
    717
    vCash:
    1762
    Loc:
    North Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Re: Jay Bilas Reacts to NCAA Statement

    College educations aren't free!

    Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Quote  

  5. -5
    Rookie

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2010
    Posts:
    10
    vCash:
    1109
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I love college football but the NCAA is a joke.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -6
    Clipse's Avatar
    mediocrity sucks

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2005
    Posts:
    13,001
    vCash:
    2608
    Loc:
    Fort Drum, New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_dolfan View Post
    I dont watch college sports because the sysstem is a joke. The coaching staff get paid millions per year but the players dont get a penny and get in trouble for trying to make some money out of it? Disgraceful.
    Yea, not a penny. Only a college education which are so cheap in this country. Poor them.

    NCAA is still a joke though, but not for that reason.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -7
    Rookie

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2013
    Posts:
    2
    vCash:
    1000
    Thanks / No Thanks
    the ncaa is a joke
    Quote Quote  

  8. -8
    rob19's Avatar
    Soul Rebel

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    7,169
    vCash:
    6437
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by R&R Express View Post
    Yea, not a penny. Only a college education which are so cheap in this country. Poor them.

    NCAA is still a joke though, but not for that reason.
    The colleges don't give out those scholarships through the kindness of their heart. Those athletes earned those scholarships. The Universities are very competitive with one another in trying to lure talent into their program. You don't think Johnny Manziel, Aj McCaron, or Jadaveon Clowney make more for their University in revenue than is granted to them by the school in the form of a scholarship? It's not even close. That's the reason why you still see, and will continue to see recruiting violations from major Universities.

    You want to fix the problem? Or at least considerably help it? Eliminate the petty stuff. Eliminate situations like Manziel's, or Pryor's, or the Miami scandal, etc. That's all petty stuff. Give these kids a few thousand dollars a year. It's not going to bankrupt the school and it's going to reduce the temptation to get busted over insignificant benefits like some tattoos, or a few hundred dollars.

    Most big-time College coaches endorse this as well. I saw Steve Spurrier in an interview advocate the same thing I just mentioned. You don't pay them all the same, obviously. You're not going to be paying the Women's Volleyball team the same amount as the Football or Basketball team. The pay would be on a curve proportionate to the amount of revenue the sport brings in.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -9
    MadDog 88's Avatar
    Teddy Westside

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2008
    Posts:
    12,857
    vCash:
    9283
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Jay Bilas Reacts to NCAA Statement

    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    The colleges don't give out those scholarships through the kindness of their heart. Those athletes earned those scholarships. The Universities are very competitive with one another in trying to lure talent into their program. You don't think Johnny Manziel, Aj McCaron, or Jadaveon Clowney make more for their University in revenue than is granted to them by the school in the form of a scholarship? It's not even close. That's the reason why you still see, and will continue to see recruiting violations from major Universities.

    You want to fix the problem? Or at least considerably help it? Eliminate the petty stuff. Eliminate situations like Manziel's, or Pryor's, or the Miami scandal, etc. That's all petty stuff. Give these kids a few thousand dollars a year. It's not going to bankrupt the school and it's going to reduce the temptation to get busted over insignificant benefits like some tattoos, or a few hundred dollars.

    Most big-time College coaches endorse this as well. I saw Steve Spurrier in an interview advocate the same thing I just mentioned. You don't pay them all the same, obviously. You're not going to be paying the Women's Volleyball team the same amount as the Football or Basketball team. The pay would be on a curve proportionate to the amount of revenue the sport brings in.
    Paying players is easy to say but not so easy to do. If you look at universities that actually make money from sports there are not that many. Football programs normally fund the large majority of the other athletic programs in a university. Believe me, women's soccer and basketball are not revenue generators. Nor is track, swimming, lacrosse, soccer, baseball, hockey, etc. You get the idea. Additionally, you can't just pay a few select athletes. If you pay a football player you better be prepared to pay that left fielder as well.

    As mentioned above, they receive a college education as well as being fed. It's not unheard of for a school to spend upwards of 100K on a student athlete each year.

    Tell me this. Do you think the U can pay every one of it's athletes in every program?
    Quote Quote  

  10. -10
    rob19's Avatar
    Soul Rebel

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    7,169
    vCash:
    6437
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog 88 View Post
    Paying players is easy to say but not so easy to do. If you look at universities that actually make money from sports there are not that many. Football programs normally fund the large majority of the other athletic programs in a university. Believe me, women's soccer and basketball are not revenue generators. Nor is track, swimming, lacrosse, soccer, baseball, hockey, etc. You get the idea. Additionally, you can't just pay a few select athletes. If you pay a football player you better be prepared to pay that left fielder as well.

    As mentioned above, they receive a college education as well as being fed. It's not unheard of for a school to spend upwards of 100K on a student athlete each year.

    Tell me this. Do you think the U can pay every one of it's athletes in every program?
    I don't understand the notion that if you pay one you have to pay them all. If you're on the Equestrian team you accept that you're not going to be paid like the Quarterback (if at all). If you play women's volleyball at Duke you accept that you're not going to be paid like the men's basketball team. It's not fair, but life's not fair.

    Spurrier think's they can certainly afford it for their football players.
    South Carolina football coach Steve Spurrier revealed yesterday that, not only are the teams in the SEC Conference onboard with the idea of paying their players, but they also have a dollar amount already in mind.

    While addressing the media day crowd, Spurrier said that all the SEC coaches are willing to commit $280,000 for the cause. A sum that Spurrier admits "is tiny compared to the money that's coming in now." When broken down, each athlete would receive a "little bit," or around $3,600, which would allow them to have some pocket change to utilize however they see fit.
    The coaches want this. They want these things like Oklahoma State and Dj Fluker to stop popping up every month over petty cash. Most of these incidents are largely avoidable.

    I also think they should be allowed to make money off their image. Manziel should be able to sign helmets and autographs for a few thousand bucks. Terrelle Pryor should be allowed to give his game jerseys in exchange for a tattoo. Most of these guy's don't go on to make it in the NFL. A lot of them will be at their peak value in college. You don't think Ryan Swope wishes he could've signed a couple helmets back at A&M? That's just my opinion, though. The coaches are pushing for a little extra pocket cash, but they'll probably keep them from making money off their image because of some garbage about "the sanctity of amateur sports".
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Hitler reacts to Miami Dolphins going 0-4
    By Phanatical in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-21-2011, 11:34 PM
  2. Hitler reacts to dolphins going 0-4.
    By thejetssuck in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-03-2011, 07:49 PM
  3. Lawrence Taylor reacts to sentence
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum General NFL Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2011, 09:07 PM
  4. Dolphin Players Reacts to Draft
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-01-2009, 09:28 AM
  5. Senate Reacts To Gas Prices
    By Walking25 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-05-2006, 01:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •