Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jay Bilas Reacts to NCAA Statement

1. -11
    mediocrity sucks

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Drum, New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Again it will never work. Completely stupid idea in every way. Yes let's allow paying players so the richest schools can just legally throw dufflebags around to get all the top players. One of the stupidest things I've heard of. They're getting a free college education. They deserve nothing else. A 4 year degree at the University of Miami costs about $220,000. Let me say that again. $220,000.

Again, who cares about "the sanctity of amateur sports." It's nothing more than a salary cap, that's necessary. Teams are going to break rules regardless. Especially when you have complete idiots running the NCAA. There's your real problem. When a complete incompetent like Mark Emmert turns a blind eye to an entire conference because they make him the most money, there's your real problem.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Teddy Westside

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks

Jay Bilas Reacts to NCAA Statement

Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    I don't understand the notion that if you pay one you have to pay them all. If you're on the Equestrian team you accept that you're not going to be paid like the Quarterback (if at all). If you play women's volleyball at Duke you accept that you're not going to be paid like the men's basketball team. It's not fair, but life's not fair.

Spurrier think's they can certainly afford it for their football players.

The coaches want this. They want these things like Oklahoma State and Dj Fluker to stop popping up every month over petty cash. Most of these incidents are largely avoidable.

I also think they should be allowed to make money off their image. Manziel should be able to sign helmets and autographs for a few thousand bucks. Terrelle Pryor should be allowed to give his game jerseys in exchange for a tattoo. Most of these guy's don't go on to make it in the NFL. A lot of them will be at their peak value in college. You don't think Ryan Swope wishes he could've signed a couple helmets back at A&M? That's just my opinion, though. The coaches are pushing for a little extra pocket cash, but they'll probably keep them from making money off their image because of some garbage about "the sanctity of amateur sports".
    This isn't professional sports so the notion of paying one without paying all doesn't come down to what's fair or not. Even if you only pay football players, schools can't afford it. Again I ask, can the U afford to pay players? Even only football players? The same U that has close to 100 players and can't get a decent home crowd. The same U that has a football budget that is under 1 mil. And the U is just one team. Think about the other 120+ teams and ask yourself who can pay their players.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by R&R Express View Post
    Yes let's allow paying players so the richest schools can just legally throw dufflebags around to get all the top players.
    Newsflash: They already get all the top players.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDog 88
    Again I ask, can the U afford to pay players? Even only football players?
    Absolutely. The University of Miami football program alone brings in 24 million in revenue (7 million profit). You telling me they can't set aside 280k like the SEC schools? C'mon, man.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2...rgest-profits/
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    mediocrity sucks

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Drum, New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    And you're naive enough to believe these SEC schools are going to follow that rule too
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Goodness Gracious Great Balls of Fire

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Chapel Hill, NC/ Sunrise, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    I don't understand the notion that if you pay one you have to pay them all. If you're on the Equestrian team you accept that you're not going to be paid like the Quarterback (if at all). If you play women's volleyball at Duke you accept that you're not going to be paid like the men's basketball team. It's not fair, but life's not fair.

Spurrier think's they can certainly afford it for their football players.

The coaches want this. They want these things like Oklahoma State and Dj Fluker to stop popping up every month over petty cash. Most of these incidents are largely avoidable.

I also think they should be allowed to make money off their image. Manziel should be able to sign helmets and autographs for a few thousand bucks. Terrelle Pryor should be allowed to give his game jerseys in exchange for a tattoo. Most of these guy's don't go on to make it in the NFL. A lot of them will be at their peak value in college. You don't think Ryan Swope wishes he could've signed a couple helmets back at A&M? That's just my opinion, though. The coaches are pushing for a little extra pocket cash, but they'll probably keep them from making money off their image because of some garbage about "the sanctity of amateur sports".
    The requirement to pay equally comes from federal law. Title IX might not require you to pay the guy on the wrestling team the same amount, but it definitely would require you to pay the woman on the gymnastics team the same as football players.
    North Carolina Tar Heels
    NCAA Men's Basketball
    National Champions
    1924, 1957, 1982, 1993, 2005, 2009
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The joke isn't the NCAA or the colleges, the joke is the win at all costs mentality that has been associated with NCAA Football or big college business.

The NCAA is what it is, a peanut in a field of elephants. The Elephants mill around at will and occasionally offer one of their own up for sacrifice to maintain the allusion of gamesmanship.

Until the millions of dollars in greed money isn't at stake the game will be about producing a better product, growing revenue and protecting your slice of the pie at all costs. The days of playing the game for fun are over, now it is a "who's going to pay me" mentality and that is what killed college football as a pure sport.
    Peace and Humptiness Forever

Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    College football is alive and well. As well or better than it's ever been...and it's been around a lot longer than professional football.

It's the corrupt NCAA as a governing institution that's going by the wayside in the near future, not college football.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's time for the big boys to just break off and start their own league.
    Quote Quote