Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek into Darkness

1. -1
    Sink or Swim, Fin Fan 4 Life

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Xbox LogoPlaystation LogoNintendo LogoSnakes!Dolphins Homer

Star Trek into Darkness

So I just finished watching Star Trek into Darkness. And despite what everyone else seems thinks, I really liked it. Yes it wasn't AS good as the original Abrams Star Trek. But it was still really good. And I think the reason why I liked it is two reasons. One. The instant they established that
    Spoiler 
    . Reason I say that is one of my reasons is because people seem to bitch about the ending. And to be honest it is a much better way to bring someone back as opposed to how the originally brought back Spock. Secondly. Because I never cared for Wrath of Kahn. Which is the Holy Grail of the Star Trek movies, for most anyway. I always thought, and still do, think Kahn is a crappy character. Even in this one. I didn't care for the character. I liked the fact that the real bad guy was
    Spoiler 

But there is something I would like to know from those who have seen this movie. Did you like it? And if so, did Wrath of Kahn have an impact on that like or dislike?
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Goatsville, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You didn't like Wrath Of Kahn?

Get out. Off the site. Seriously.

Quote Quote  

3. -3

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonBoss View Post
    You didn't like Wrath Of Kahn?

Get out. Off the site. Seriously.
    Nope. Undiscovered Country is my favorite of the original series movies.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DisturbedShifty View Post
    Nope. Undiscovered Country is my favorite of the original series movies.
    NOW you REALLY need to leave the site.

In all seriousness, I consider the Abrams Trek movies fun, entertaining movies for the most part. I really consider them "Star Trek-ish" rather than actually Star Trek. They have the same characters in them but that's about it as far as resembling what Star Trek has been over the past 50 years.

Wrath of Khan did influence my thoughts on the movie quite a bit. Into Darkness gave him a sympathetic side that could have ruined the character. Fortunately Cumberbatch's acting, portraying him as the smartest guy in the room, saved the menacing side of the character. I thought the ending of the movie between Kirk and Spock with the element you outlined in your spolier tag made the ending almost insulting. The whole battle at the end was cool but the plot points insulted me as a Trek fan.
    Insert pithy saying here.

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    grip it and rip it

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    DolphinDolphinDolphin
    i haven't seen this movie yet but i plan to. The first Abrams movie was very good but I like the STNG movies the best including Generations and First contact. I always have a thing for Deanna Troi back when the series was on the air.

Khan was a great character and RM nailed it in the original if you ask me.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Now I am positive that Wrath of Kahn is the key factor to liking this movie.

I asked the same question on a few other boards and it seems that most who like Wrath dislike Darkness. And those who haven't seen Wrath like Darkness.

But I will agree with you Lou. While I didn't mind the way the movie ended. The role reversal at the end, when compared to Wrath, comes off as a cheap "shock me" trick. But again, because I don't hold Wrath in such high regards it didn't kill the movie for me.

And as my mom pointed out in my Facebook post about this subject. I never liked the Original Series. I, like Fishfanmiami here, am a Next Gen kid. Which, by the way, First Contact is my favorite of TNG films.

And now that I think about it. That is probably why I like Undiscovered Country the most. It's because it feels more like TNG.

Never go to the Library without your shotgun.
    Last edited by DisturbedShifty; 08-26-2013 at 01:09 PM.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I liked it. It's interesting how they've made it to where they can pretty much remake any Star Trek movie or story line with the new characters. I'm sure this means we'll be seeing many more classic moments redone with the new cast over the next few years...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

8. -8

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: Star Trek into Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    I liked it. It's interesting how they've made it to where they can pretty much remake any Star Trek movie or story line with the new characters. I'm sure this means we'll be seeing many more classic moments redone with the new cast over the next few years...
    Maybe. That all depends on if Abrams if going to do anymore Trek movies. I think the biggest reason the cast got back together was because of him. And ever since Abrams took up the Star Wars movies. There have been doubts about him returning to Star Trek.

Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DisturbedShifty View Post
    Maybe. That all depends on if Abrams if going to do anymore Trek movies. I think the biggest reason the cast got back together was because of him. And ever since Abrams took up the Star Wars movies. There have been doubts about him returning to Star Trek.

It really isn't about Abrams in this instance, it's really about how many pictures the actors have signed their contracts for. I think Quinto has signed for 3 movies so I'm sure the other actors have signed for at least that many as well.

I grew up on TNG as well. I still remember watching the pilot episode. It's among my earliest TV watching memories (the earliest being a memory of watching the 1984 Olympics on TV). First Contact is the best of the TNG movies and it's not even close. Generations is a distant second with Nemisis and Insurrection bringing up the rear. Still these Abrams movies don't feel like anything that has come before them, for better or for worse I suppose.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    You're standing on my neck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Overall I did like it (more than the first one personally) but there was a lot of individual things I didn't like. The honest trailer hits basically hits the nail on the head with each thing that annoyed me.

Especially
    Spoiler 
    I literally face palmed for that.
    Not every human is a manipulative, opportunistic, letch... or at least that's what I'm told.
    Quote Quote