I live overseas, so I don't get to see a lot of games every year, but from what I've seen in the preseason, Tannehill has made drastic improvement in the following areas:
- Tempo - Tannehill is light years better than last year in getting the call from the sideline, getting the call from the sideline, and getting everyone lined up correctly. The tempo the offense displayed against Tampa was absent last year
- Pre-Snap Read - Tannehill is reading defenses at a consistently high level. He's throwing into double coverage a lot less often than he was last year.
- Accuracy - His ball placement still needs work to be absolutely consistent, but he's starting to place the ball away from the defense and in catchable areas
- Touch - Sometimes, it looks like Tannehill has worked on not overpowering the throws. He's throwing the intermediate routes with better touch and allowing his receivers a better chance to pick up some yardage after the catch.
Areas where I think he still needs work:
- Pre-Snap Adjustment - Maybe the coaches have limited his ability to audible in the preseason because they wanted to see certain plays run in specific situations. I really expect a QB with Tannehill's intelligence to be not only be able to get us out of bad plays, but also to start exploiting mismatches with audible calls.
- Eye Discipline - Tannehill still needs to work on not locking onto his primary receiver with his eyes. I've noticed that he's improved in this area since last year, but he's still inconsistent. When he masters it, he'll not only avoid locking in, but he'll be able to actively manipulate coverage with his eyes.
- Pocket Movement - Tannehill needs to work on his pocket movement to become an elite passer. He definitely has the athleticism to do it, but I see some indecisiveness in his decision making. He doesn't appear to have the instinctive ability to feel pressure. I don't know if you can ever develop that as a QB, so for now, he needs to be more decisive in his movements up or laterally in the pocket to buy time.
What aspect of his game do you think Tannehill has improved the most? Where does he still need work?