Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Charles Clay VS. Dion Sims as Starting TE

  1. -1
    finfan54's Avatar
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2002
    Posts:
    25,054
    vCash:
    20135
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Charles Clay VS. Dion Sims as Starting TE

    Last night, just before bed I decided to take a peak at some of the game with Clay in.

    The first thing that jumps out at me is Clay lined in and blocking. I couldnt help my first reaction is Dion Sims should be in every time to block. Why isn't he? Because he is not a starter and coaches dont want to throw their rookie into pro games early.

    OK, but why would you have a lesser blocker in if he is not as good as the well-tooled Sims? Answer; for the passing game.

    But if Clay is not a true TE why would you want him lined in and going out for passes from that position when he has been mostly from H-back, a second TE, or FB position?

    It just seems to me that a true TE, whether a rookie or not, should be playing that spot because they can block very well, and can learn the routes and offense while playing every week and be more safety valve than seam threat until they take the training wheels off. Clay is better when he lines up in different spots or as second TE with Fasano.

    Its just a waste having the smaller Clay play the TE position full time. Keeping the pass catching from the game out of the equation, this alone says to me to throw this kid into the fire. This kid has a head on his shoulders. He has some character. This is one guy I think they should play early and often and see what they get. No balls no glory. He is your only true TE.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    joeharley666's Avatar
    STUD

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2007
    Posts:
    1,649
    vCash:
    11805
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoDolphins HomerDolphinTannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo
    Come on dude, why are you trying to make sense on this board
    Quote Quote  

  3. -3
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2008
    Posts:
    440
    vCash:
    1676
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'd rather go with Sims personally. I don't think Clay is or will ever be a starting caliber tightend
    Quote Quote  

  4. -4
    footsteps_falco's Avatar
    Damn SugarBowl

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2010
    Posts:
    2,009
    vCash:
    1312
    Loc:
    New Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Clay isn't as small as you make him out to be he's 6'3" 250lbs... I mean dustin killer was 6'2" 255.. just saying.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -5
    Fin Fan in Cali's Avatar
    RIP Gary Moore

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2004
    Posts:
    26,049
    vCash:
    2162
    Loc:
    So Cal
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Let's throw some passes to Sims and see how he does with the rock.

    Thanks to Like2God for the great Avatar/Sig!

    Quote Quote  

  6. -6
    dlockz's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2004
    Posts:
    33,452
    vCash:
    38932
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    I dont think either guy is a worthy starting Te in the nfl right now but Im more inclined to want to see what Sims can do.
    Clay may be better for our offense but at least Sims may become a decent starter.
    When death smiles upon you, the Infantry man smiles back. WV says Im not a patriot and Jeff Ireland is a Boss so it must be true.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -7
    Fin Fan in Cali's Avatar
    RIP Gary Moore

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2004
    Posts:
    26,049
    vCash:
    2162
    Loc:
    So Cal
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    I dont think either guy is a worthy starting Te in the nfl right now but Im more inclined to want to see what Sims can do.
    Clay may be better for our offense but at least Sims may become a decent starter.
    Bro we have to see what he can do. I just hope Sherman doesn't abandon the TE position all together.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -8
    tzjombie's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2007
    Posts:
    273
    vCash:
    2499
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think you will see a decent amount of formations with both Sims and Clay in the lineup at the same time. If you just put Sims in for blocking and Clay for passing situations you are kinda showing your hand.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -9
    Fin Fan in Cali's Avatar
    RIP Gary Moore

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2004
    Posts:
    26,049
    vCash:
    2162
    Loc:
    So Cal
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tzelko View Post
    I think you will see a decent amount of formations with both Sims and Clay in the lineup at the same time. If you just put Sims in for blocking and Clay for passing situations you are kinda showing your hand.
    Exactly. Reverse the play and let Clay block and let Sims go out and catch a ball.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -10
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2011
    Posts:
    127
    vCash:
    1000
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finfan54 View Post
    Last night, just before bed I decided to take a peak at some of the game with Clay in.

    The first thing that jumps out at me is Clay lined in and blocking. I couldnt help my first reaction is Dion Sims should be in every time to block. Why isn't he? Because he is not a starter and coaches dont want to throw their rookie into pro games early.

    OK, but why would you have a lesser blocker in if he is not as good as the well-tooled Sims? Answer; for the passing game.

    But if Clay is not a true TE why would you want him lined in and going out for passes from that position when he has been mostly from H-back, a second TE, or FB position?

    It just seems to me that a true TE, whether a rookie or not, should be playing that spot because they can block very well, and can learn the routes and offense while playing every week and be more safety valve than seam threat until they take the training wheels off. Clay is better when he lines up in different spots or as second TE with Fasano.

    Its just a waste having the smaller Clay play the TE position full time. Keeping the pass catching from the game out of the equation, this alone says to me to throw this kid into the fire. This kid has a head on his shoulders. He has some character. This is one guy I think they should play early and often and see what they get. No balls no glory. He is your only true TE.
    Well-said.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Charles Clay not a Starting TE
    By BenchFiedler in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 08-26-2013, 01:34 AM
  2. Opinions on TE Dion Sims
    By LikeUntoGod in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-31-2013, 03:28 PM
  3. TE Dion Sims his rookie contract
    By FinAtic8480 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-17-2013, 09:49 PM
  4. Have we picked up a bit of a sleeper in Dion Sims
    By uk_dolfan in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-28-2013, 11:16 PM
  5. Dion Sims
    By Yessir in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 04-28-2013, 02:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •