Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Charles Clay VS. Dion Sims as Starting TE

1. -1
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Charles Clay VS. Dion Sims as Starting TE

Last night, just before bed I decided to take a peak at some of the game with Clay in.

The first thing that jumps out at me is Clay lined in and blocking. I couldnt help my first reaction is Dion Sims should be in every time to block. Why isn't he? Because he is not a starter and coaches dont want to throw their rookie into pro games early.

OK, but why would you have a lesser blocker in if he is not as good as the well-tooled Sims? Answer; for the passing game.

But if Clay is not a true TE why would you want him lined in and going out for passes from that position when he has been mostly from H-back, a second TE, or FB position?

It just seems to me that a true TE, whether a rookie or not, should be playing that spot because they can block very well, and can learn the routes and offense while playing every week and be more safety valve than seam threat until they take the training wheels off. Clay is better when he lines up in different spots or as second TE with Fasano.

Its just a waste having the smaller Clay play the TE position full time. Keeping the pass catching from the game out of the equation, this alone says to me to throw this kid into the fire. This kid has a head on his shoulders. He has some character. This is one guy I think they should play early and often and see what they get. No balls no glory. He is your only true TE.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    STUD

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoDolphins HomerDolphinTannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo
    Come on dude, why are you trying to make sense on this board
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'd rather go with Sims personally. I don't think Clay is or will ever be a starting caliber tightend
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Damn SugarBowl

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Clay isn't as small as you make him out to be he's 6'3" 250lbs... I mean dustin killer was 6'2" 255.. just saying.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    RIP Gary Moore

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    So Cal
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Let's throw some passes to Sims and see how he does with the rock.

Thanks to Like2God for the great Avatar/Sig!

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I dont think either guy is a worthy starting Te in the nfl right now but Im more inclined to want to see what Sims can do.
    Clay may be better for our offense but at least Sims may become a decent starter.
    When death smiles upon you, the Infantry man smiles back. WV says Im not a patriot and Jeff Ireland is a Boss so it must be true.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    RIP Gary Moore

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    So Cal
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    I dont think either guy is a worthy starting Te in the nfl right now but Im more inclined to want to see what Sims can do.
    Clay may be better for our offense but at least Sims may become a decent starter.
    Bro we have to see what he can do. I just hope Sherman doesn't abandon the TE position all together.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think you will see a decent amount of formations with both Sims and Clay in the lineup at the same time. If you just put Sims in for blocking and Clay for passing situations you are kinda showing your hand.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    RIP Gary Moore

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    So Cal
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tzelko View Post
    I think you will see a decent amount of formations with both Sims and Clay in the lineup at the same time. If you just put Sims in for blocking and Clay for passing situations you are kinda showing your hand.
    Exactly. Reverse the play and let Clay block and let Sims go out and catch a ball.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finfan54 View Post
    Last night, just before bed I decided to take a peak at some of the game with Clay in.

The first thing that jumps out at me is Clay lined in and blocking. I couldnt help my first reaction is Dion Sims should be in every time to block. Why isn't he? Because he is not a starter and coaches dont want to throw their rookie into pro games early.

OK, but why would you have a lesser blocker in if he is not as good as the well-tooled Sims? Answer; for the passing game.

But if Clay is not a true TE why would you want him lined in and going out for passes from that position when he has been mostly from H-back, a second TE, or FB position?

It just seems to me that a true TE, whether a rookie or not, should be playing that spot because they can block very well, and can learn the routes and offense while playing every week and be more safety valve than seam threat until they take the training wheels off. Clay is better when he lines up in different spots or as second TE with Fasano.

Its just a waste having the smaller Clay play the TE position full time. Keeping the pass catching from the game out of the equation, this alone says to me to throw this kid into the fire. This kid has a head on his shoulders. He has some character. This is one guy I think they should play early and often and see what they get. No balls no glory. He is your only true TE.
    Well-said.
    Quote Quote