Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So, I Checked Out Getting My First Tattoo Today.

1. -11
    Pimpin' ain't easy

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    outside the beltway
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I have a half-sleeve on the left arm (upper) and a self-drawn arm band around the right bicep. You're doing exactly what you should be doing for your first: find a studio you like and talk with the artists. Most of them will be happy to show you their portfolio and be leery of those who do not. I used A&D ointment to heal through the first week and even though I'm exposed to a lot of sun during summer months the color is still true after 12 years. Don't be surprised if you scab especially if there is alot of shading or color in the same spot. The area you want it on is tender so unless your pain threshold is high don't be surprised if the first touch of the needle makes you twitch until you get used to it.

Also, don't be surprised if after your first one heals and you like it....you'll be hooked and want to get more. It can get addictive if you're not careful.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Ford LogoTannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    As its healing, it'll itch like a mother! DO NOT SCRATCH IT! I've found that lightly slapping it is effective. (That sounded wrong. )
    I haven't found this to be the case with all my tattoos. Some yes depending on where they're at.

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by cbreeden View Post
    Also, don't be surprised if after your first one heals and you like it....you'll be hooked and want to get more. It can get addictive if you're not careful.
    It happened to me!

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by cbreeden View Post
    It happened to me!

Quote Quote  

3. -13
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Make sure you find an artist that has a style you like. Make sure you see his sketch beforehand. Seems like an obvious thing, but I can't count how many people let someone ink them without looking at the stencil. Dumbasses. If you're getting it in a sensitive area, be ready to sit still through some rugged stretches. If you don't think you'll be able to stay still, they sell some numbing cream that you put on your skin about an hour beforehand.

As for aftercare, I agree with cbreeden about the A&D ointment. Though you only need ointment until it peels, so it may be less than a week, or it may be more. After that you'll want to keep some lotion on you and keep it moist, especially down there in the Texas heat. I recommend Cetaphil since it's scentless, has sunblock, and does a great job keeping it moist. Bumpus is right, absolutely do not scratch it when it hits the itchy phase of healing. Rubbing is ok, as is gently patting. Luckily that will only last a day or two. Welcome to the club brother. I love tattoos. Well, I love good tattoos. Bad tattoos make me want to drop kick crippled kittens...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

4. -14
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Make sure you find an artist that has a style you like. Make sure you see his sketch beforehand. Seems like an obvious thing, but I can't count how many people let someone ink them without looking at the stencil. Dumbasses. If you're getting it in a sensitive area, be ready to sit still through some rugged stretches. If you don't think you'll be able to stay still, they sell some numbing cream that you put on your skin about an hour beforehand.

As for aftercare, I agree with cbreeden about the A&D ointment. Though you only need ointment until it peels, so it may be less than a week, or it may be more. After that you'll want to keep some lotion on you and keep it moist, especially down there in the Texas heat. I recommend Cetaphil since it's scentless, has sunblock, and does a great job keeping it moist. Bumpus is right, absolutely do not scratch it when it hits the itchy phase of healing. Rubbing is ok, as is gently patting. Luckily that will only last a day or two. Welcome to the club brother. I love tattoos. Well, I love good tattoos. Bad tattoos make me want to drop kick crippled kittens...
    I've only ever used Aquaphor on my tattoo for 48 hours. After that, scentless hand lotion for 2 weeks or so depending on how tight the skin is.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post

I was waiting for you to chime in. Thanks. It's going to be a small one, but in an obvious area. I guess four years into prison,
    it sort of comes with the territory. I work with a small bunch of guys, and it's sort of special to me, so it's sort of that.

Now that I have found out that I'm heading down south, all the more.

This is all good stuff. I think it's pretty easy/simple, what I want.

Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Pimpin' ain't easy

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    outside the beltway
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Good luck. Post a pic when it heals.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If it's not too late to make a suggestion (also for PHinz on his 33rd for that matter) :

Quote Quote  

8. -18
    cowboy surfer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Don't do it.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
    If it's not too late to make a suggestion (also for PHinz on his 33rd for that matter) :

I'm sure my wife would totally dig seeing that **** on me
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinzN703 View Post
    I've only ever used Aquaphor on my tattoo for 48 hours. After that, scentless hand lotion for 2 weeks or so depending on how tight the skin is.
    I wish that's all the aftercare I needed. It's hot and dry here, so any new work dries out quickly. Sometimes I'll wake up the next morning and my tattoo is bone-dry and feels like zombie skin. That's after 6 or so hours in a cool room. Not the best environment for healing tattoos...
    Quote Quote