Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk About Leadership

1. -1
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Let's Talk About Leadership

I'm putting this up, because lots of people have different ideas of leadership.
    I'd like to make this an open forum on what leadership is, and what it means to
    you.

A profile of yourself, so, people sort of know where you are coming from would
    help.

So...What is "Leadership" to you?

Thanks Shifty!

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    I don't know that there is one set definition for leadership. First you have to be a problem solver. You have to be able to think on your feet, and understand other people's motivations. Then you have to understand that one leadship style does not fit all subordinates. Asking, telling, asking-telling, are just a few of the different styles that work when applied with a bit of tact. Now granted what's the situation? is it war? is it time critical? asking doesn't work in those situations. some leaders want to be a part of the boys and let the subordinates "identify" with them. Others think there should be separation to keep things easier if you have to crack down on a subordinate.
    "I didn't feel like we had to score," Tannehill said. "I had the mindset we were going to score."

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    To me, leadership means integrity. Without it, no one will follow you.
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1

"The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    RIP Gary Moore

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    So Cal
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I am a product distribution manager with 29 personnel I am responsible for. Leadership to me is a person who can lead through all types of issues weather it be personnel, accomplishing the daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly goals as a team, keeping the existing space maintained and serviceable, insuring the output of the team meets the goals of the organization. A leader is a evaluator of talent who can adjust his or her style to maximize the out put of those under them such as growth, guidance and constant coaching of the team to ensure they get stronger. A great leader has supervisors and leads under them that they have nurtured in growth so much that when the manager is gone and senior management needs something or answers they can step up to the plate and deliver on the spot. A leader understands the different makeup of those under there guidance as everyone is different. I consider myself as a humble coach who works hard and sets the example for those to follow. My team knows that I won't ask them to do something that I wouldn't do myself. A leader rolls his or her sleeves up when the tough gets going, and is in the trenches with them.

I work Saturdays with my team from time to time like tomorrow. I will be in at 5am and be there until at least 9am.
    Last edited by Fin Fan in Cali; 09-14-2013 at 10:31 PM.

Thanks to Like2God for the great Avatar/Sig!

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    To me, leadership means integrity. Without it, no one will follow you.
    That's very important. However, "Honesty" and "Integrity" are not the same things.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    grip it and rip it

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    DolphinDolphinDolphin
    Here's a pretty good definition

1. The activity of leading a group of people or an organization or the ability to do this.
    Leadership involves
    (1) establishing a clear vision,
    (2) sharing that vision with others so that they will follow willingly,
    (3) providing the information, knowledge and methods to realize that vision, and
    (4) coordinating and balancing the conflicting interests of all members and stakeholders.
    A leader steps up in times of crisis, and is able to think and act creatively in difficult situations. Unlike management, leadership cannot be taught, although it may be learned and enhanced through coaching or mentoring.

At one time I was responsible for several hundred employees nationwide. The company grew so fast lots of inexperienced guys got promoted to local manager and I was forced to teach my new managers basic leadership skills. Required reading for all the newbies was "the leadership secrets of Attila the Hun"

Attila was able to unite warring mongol tribes into a cohesive army that conquered most of the known world and stopped just short of taking Rome itself.
    An example of this style was when they sacked a village his man got to loot and rape the locals before the captains and Attila was last to enjoy the fruits of victory.

Anyways for business purposes that's a good book.

Personally I think consistency , trust and dedication to purpose are what I look for in a leader.
    Last edited by fishfanmiami; 09-13-2013 at 09:28 PM.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    RIP Gary Moore

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    So Cal
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fin Fan in Cali View Post
    I am a product distribution manager with 29 personnel I am responsible for. Leadership to me is a person who can lead through all types of issues weather it be personnel, accomplishing the daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly goals as a team, keeping the existing space maintained and serviceable, insuring the output of the team meets the goals of the organization. A leader is a evaluator of talent who can adjust his or her style to maximize the out put of those under them such as growth, guidance and constant coaching of the team to ensure they get stronger. A great leader has supervisors and leads under them that they have nurtured in growth so much that when the manager is gone and senior management needs something or answers they can step up to the plate and deliver on the spot. A leader understands the different makeup of those under there guidance as everyone is different. I consider myself as a humble coach who works hard and sets the example for those to follow. My team knows that I won't ask them to do something that I wouldn't do myself. A leader rolls his or her sleeves up when the tough gets going, and is in the trenches with them.

I work Saturdays with my team from time to time like tomorrow. I will be in at 5am and be there until at least 9am.
    I think also to get the rest of the team to buy in that failure is not an option and together we succeed!
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonBoss View Post
    That's very important. However, "Honesty" and "Integrity" are not the same things.
    They don't always have to be. If you do what you say you'll do, people will always know to count on you.

To me, leaders are dependable.

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by fishfanmiami View Post
    Here's a pretty good definition

1. The activity of leading a group of people or an organization or the ability to do this.
    Leadership involves
    (1) establishing a clear vision,
    (2) sharing that vision with others so that they will follow willingly,
    (3) providing the information, knowledge and methods to realize that vision, and
    (4) coordinating and balancing the conflicting interests of all members and stakeholders.
    A leader steps up in times of crisis, and is able to think and act creatively in difficult situations. Unlike management, leadership cannot be taught, although it may be learned and enhanced through coaching or mentoring.

At one time I was responsible for several hundred employees nationwide. The company grew so fast lots of inexperienced guys got promoted to local manager and I was forced to teach my new managers basic leadership skills. Required reading for all the newbies was "the leadership secrets of Attila the Hun"

Attila was able to unite warring mongol tribes into a cohesive army that conquered most of the known world and stopped just short of taking Rome itself.
    An example of this style was when they sacked a village his man got to loot and rape the locals before the captains and Attila was last to enjoy the fruits of victory.

Anyways for business purposes that's a good book.

Personally I think consistency , trust and dedication to purpose are what I look for in a leader.
    So, basically, let your men rape and pillage.

Check.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    grip it and rip it

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    DolphinDolphinDolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by fishfanmiami View Post

You certainly qualify John
    Last edited by fishfanmiami; 09-15-2013 at 10:07 AM.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    grip it and rip it

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    DolphinDolphinDolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    They don't always have to be. If you do what you say you'll do, people will always know to count on you.

To me, leaders are dependable.

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

So, basically, let your men rape and pillage.

Check.
    After a good victory or a mission accomplished ????

Most definitely (metaphorically speaking of course)

An example in the business world is you receive a nice bonus check for the your groups success. Instead of spending on yourself you take your guys out for a steak dinner. Works wonders for morale and ensures a renewed dedication to the mission.

For you Bump substitute strip club for steak dinner
    i used to fly everyone to Miami and take the guys out on a charter fishing boat.
    Last edited by fishfanmiami; 09-14-2013 at 11:47 PM.
    Quote Quote