Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk About Leadership

1. -11
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Leadership to me is working in parallel with the people you are supposed to lead. Become part of the team, not just the leader. Treat them as equals or as you'd want them to treat you.

I've never been in a leadership role, so maybe I'm way off base.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fishfanmiami View Post
    After a good victory or a mission accomplished ????

Most definitely (metaphorically speaking of course)

An example in the business world is you receive a nice bonus check for the your groups success. Instead of spending on yourself you take your guys out for a steak dinner. Works wonders for morale and ensures a renewed dedication to the mission.

For you Bump substitute strip club for steak dinner
    i used to fly everyone to Miami and take the guys out on a charter fishing boat.
    You would be surprised how much a nice dinner out with your people can do.

I was the beneficiary/victim of this at one point.....I didn't want to go, honestly. To
    me, I was doing my own thing, and I wasn't going to kiss ass. Then, it was put
    to me thusly; "He expects you to be there."

Oh.

Alright.

It turned out to be a great time. He just wanted to revel in a big victory
    in amongst the men he'd chosen to get him there.

I assumed since he and I had something of a rocky road, he wouldn't want me around.

A 4K bonus check..(First one I've recieved in the industry) was a clincher.

I got a call from a rep from that company after I got off work at the prison one day
    and I was waiting for a ride home. "Hey. This is _____ From ______ Brother, I know you're
    out of the game last I was told, but we've got a hell of a job fixin' to go hot. We need supervisors,
    and Mr________ (Owner/Boss) told me to call you because of the job you did in PA."

I'm not going to lie. I had tears coming out of my eyes. It's not the first contract job I've turned
    down since I started working for the state.....Might be the last, though, you never know.

Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well...As a base point to me, leadership is the Army definition of it...As an overview.

You must provide;

-Purpose
    -Direction
    -Motivation.

Those are the base characteristics. Boiled down to the basics.

Now; It's all in how you handle yourself in the specific workplace. There are a couple of
    principals I belive in;
    -Be cool. If you are, in fact, a leader, people will react to how you act. Be cool. They will be cool
    if you are cool. No matter what's going wrong, be cool.

-Sense of urgency. I don't understand how you can be a leader without a sense of urgency. Any
    task that can be completed tomorrow, can be completed today.

-Loyalty. I am a huge beliver in loyalty. It's a quality I always valued, and I assume others
    do too. However, the trick to it is that it must go DOWN the chain, as well as UP the chain.

As has been brought up; Integrity is really important.

But what is integrity?

Integrity is a concept of consistency of actions, values, methods, measures, principles, expectations, and outcomes. In ethics, integrity is regarded as the honesty and truthfulness or accuracy of one's actions. Integrity can be regarded as the opposite of hypocrisy,[1] in that integrity regards internal consistency as a virtue, and suggests that parties holding apparently conflicting values should account for the discrepancy or alter their beliefs.
    I am of the firm belief I didn't make SGT on a board earlier in the year, because when asked the question of "What is the difference between Honesty, and Integrity?"
    I said; "Honesty is me saying that tie makes you look like a homosexual. Integrity is me saying that tie makes you look great."
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonBoss View Post
    Well...As a base point to me, leadership is the Army definition of it...As an overview.

You must provide;

-Purpose
    -Direction
    -Motivation.

Those are the base characteristics. Boiled down to the basics.

Now; It's all in how you handle yourself in the specific workplace. There are a couple of
    principals I belive in;
    -Be cool. If you are, in fact, a leader, people will react to how you act. Be cool. They will be cool
    if you are cool. No matter what's going wrong, be cool.

-Sense of urgency. I don't understand how you can be a leader without a sense of urgency. Any
    task that can be completed tomorrow, can be completed today.

-Loyalty. I am a huge beliver in loyalty. It's a quality I always valued, and I assume others
    do too. However, the trick to it is that it must go DOWN the chain, as well as UP the chain.

As has been brought up; Integrity is really important.

But what is integrity?

I am of the firm belief I didn't make SGT on a board earlier in the year, because when asked the question of "What is the difference between Honesty, and Integrity?"
    I said; "Honesty is me saying that tie makes you look like a homosexual. Integrity is me saying that tie makes you look great."
    So ... You told a Texas prison board member that he looked light in the loafers?!? I think you may have just narrowed down why you didn't make SGT.
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1

"The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Quote  

5. -15
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    IMO Key Elements of Leadership:

Inspire by example

Instill a mentality of "us" as a cohesive team...and a mutually-beneficial understanding and sense of "purpose"

Ability to Educate, Encourage, Support, and Reinforce

Demonstrated willingness to fall on one's sword for valued subordinates who've earned that consideration

Willingness to credit staff for successes and take "the buck stops here" individual accountability for collective failures

Dear Math, please grow up and solve your own problems, I'm tired of solving them for you. -Anon

Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't follow definitions because no one definition meets every situation. If you look to definition to guide your life you have already limited yourself.

Leadership is different for every situation and until I'm presented with the situation I can't give you a hard fast answer on how to lead it. Rest assured I will lead by example first and foremost, if I expect something out of you then be damn sure that I'm also doing it that way myself. Each person has a unique set of skills in life, good leaders identify that skill set and use their people effectively in rolls suited to them but they apply the overall values as set forth by the situation to everyone being lead.

Integrity and honor on a battlefield is far different than integrity and honor in the workplace so saying you have integrity and honor isn't anything without looking at the situation and events around it, the same can be said about any other so called "value" in life.

That is how I lead.
    Peace and Humptiness Forever

Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    So ... You told a Texas prison board member that he looked light in the loafers?!? I think you may have just narrowed down why you didn't make SGT.
    This is just me softening them up.

You know. Putting on a little sugar.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    mediocrity sucks

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Drum, New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Putting the needs of your subordinates before your own. Without that, you're a damn poor leader regardless of any other qualities. A true leader is always the first one in, last one out.

A great leader needs to be able to think fast. In pressure situations. Be innovative. Going against the grain, finding ways to do things in a more conventional manner. "Smarter not Harder" has always been a favorite quote of mine. Competence and common sense is becoming far too rare these days. Don't lead anyone if you lack it.

A great leader needs to know his subordinates. Know their faults. What they're good at. Know what motivates them. Any special needs. If you don't know anything about your subordinates on a personal level, you can't help them. You can't lead them.

A great leader needs to be a professional. Lead by example. But also needs to be down to earth, approachable. Know when to be serious, when to be relaxed. If your subordinates can't trust you or approach you because of your actions or personality, you shouldn't be in a leadership position. Same deal if your subordinates aren't squared away because you're not squared away.

Good communication is key. The most important part of the relationship between subordinate and leader, and any relationship for that matter. Without it, any relationship is doomed for failure.

A great leader must also be a great teacher. Whether he's teaching specific work related skills or life skills. And as a teacher they must know what the hell they're talking about.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Why did it have to be snakes?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    1. Make the right decisions.
    2. If you make the wrong decision, admit it's not working and move to correct things.
    3. Treat your fellows with respect.

I've seen a lot of different definitions of leadership and a lot of different leaders in my lifetime. And in all honesty I would say that competence and basic social graces count more than anything. If you consistently make the right decisions (i.e. the ones which lead to success) and you treat your subordinates in such a way that they feel valued and respected, they will be confident in your leadership.

I assume we're really talking about football coaches, and I definitely think the three criteria I listed are what matters. Let me gives you four examples:

1. Bill Belichick. Integrity? Are you kidding me? Go look up the details on both his personal and professional past... the guy is basically a total scumbag. But, good football decisions? Check. Treats his players with a basic measure of respect and courtesy? Check. Considered the best coach of our era? Check.

2. Greg Schiano. By all accounts, a pretty solid football mind, a guy who understands the game and can scheme well, etc. Yet his team is a disaster because he is a total dickbag to the Bucs players and they can't ****ing stand him.

3. Dave Wannstedt. Players LIKED him. He treated them with respect and by all accounts is a man of integrity. Good guy, solid human being, but totally incompetent. Leader of men? Given that the team totally quit on him, I sure wouldn't say so.

4. Cam Cameron. Incompetent, and by all accounts didn't treat the players with respect. It's my understanding that he instituted a bunch of totally absurd rules like "no talking on the team plane" and rubbed a lot of people the wrong way from the get-go. Result: total implosion halfway through the season. Is Cam Cameron a man of integrity? Probably, but who cares?

In short, I don't think integrity matters one bit if we're talking about what makes for a good leader, and especially not if we're talking about football coaches. We all know people who have lied, cheated, or stolen. In fact, I'm pretty sure we have ALL lied, cheated, or stolen at some point. But I'll take a competent guy who cheats on his wife over an incompetent choir boy every day of the week if his direction is going to have an impact on my job performance, my life, etc.

And I realize that probably sounds awful to say 'integrity doesn't matter one bit,' so let me just say that some actions which demonstrate a lack of integrity also demonstrate an incredible lack of good judgment. Like Anthony Weiner. He might be extremely competent when it comes to running a municipal government, but he displayed such incredibly poor judgment that you could never trust him. But Bill Belichick being a colossal scumbag who not only cheats on his wife but also on game day doesn't have any affect at all on his ability to lead a football team, IMO.
    Last edited by J. David Wannyheimer; 09-24-2013 at 01:20 AM.
    I'm here to tell the truth about top secret Air Force project BAR STOOL. Gamma ray radiation from the particle accelerator under Joe Robbie Stadium is real! Get out while you can! This bad football team is just a front for something far more sinister!
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Leadership is letting her putting it in.
    Never use a big word when a little filthy one will do.
    Quote Quote