Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: House votes to derail Obamacare

1. -91
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Nope. Not a budget. Just a continuing resolution on sequester level spending. The fight in January will not be about Obamacare. It will be about entitlements. Obama has signaled he's willing to talk entitlement reform (including some means testing, which I think is an abomination), in exchange for higher taxes. The Republicans -- Paul Ryan in particular -- are interested in more fundamental entitlement reform, centered around partial privatization.

The fight will also be about spending more generally. The sequester cut domestic programs and military budgets and raised taxes on the wealthy. Should be interesting to see which changes become permanent and which ones are repealed.

To be honest it would be silly to expect an actual budget, but it looks like they might actually try.
    This fight over Obamacare was stupid so hopefully they just let it play out and manage a reasonable budget despite the ACA. I wouldn't bet on it though. Either way, Obama will come out smelling like a rose compared to Boehner.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  

2. -92
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    That is very, very true.

Quote Quote  

3. -93
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    Boehner put himself in bed with the tea party earlier using them as 'attack hounds' against Obama now he has to put out and get ****ed.
    It's OK Boehner. It may hurt the first time but you get used to it.
    Your post popped into mind when i stumbled across this:

The Republican elite caught a ride on the tiger. But the tiger got sick of waiting for the gazelles it was promised. So the tiger ate its master and now here we are.
    Couple of other quotes i enjoyed:

It happened slowly, didnít it? The change in the Republican Party? I donít know. Maybe itís nostalgia. There have always been the wild, vicious voices of the right. The devil on the shoulder of the conservative movement that whispers in its ear, ďburn it down, burn it down.Ē But those voices were to be ignored, humored, tolerated, placated, or just deceived. That was the way of things, and we were protected by the obvious: people who believe foolish things tend to be easy to fool...

America needs a strong, rational, positive, practical conservative movement. It needs that bulwark against liberal delusion and hubris. It needs a voice that says we are imperfect, that life is complex, that government can create need even as it meets need, that you canít fix everything and freedom is worth some danger and sorrow. And there are smart, honest conservatives at the ready to be that voice, to help govern practically and sincerely with that voice, but they are drowned out by the guttural scream of craven utopians raging against reality.

This moment in American political life is insane. That a group of narrow-minded zealots could push us to the brink of economic ruin, that they maintain a base of support in their frenzied, quixotic, incompetent gambit, that there is an apparatus that exists to defend this kind of nonsenseóit came on us slowly but it is no less an emergency. This is broken. This cannot go on.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...insane/280614/

"Ignorance is not an excuse" were the words Goodell used when describing why those involved in the Saints bounty scandal would not avoid punishment.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ons-unanswered
    Quote Quote  

4. -94
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Oh dear Lord, I would have an aneurysm immediately upon my company unionizing! I am about to stroke out as it is.

Quote Quote  

5. -95
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    A behind the scenes look at what happened during the shutdown. Interesting for those that enjoy the cat-and-mouse games of these type of situations. Its a little lengthy so i'll limit the quote to what i consider the two most damning moments for the GOP.

The White House received intelligence from an unlikely source: Boehner’s former chief of staff Barry Jackson. A lobbyist who spoke with Jackson passed on a detailed download to top administration officials. Chief among the insights was that Boehner would have to fight right up to the Oct. 17 debt limit deadline...

Sitting around a conference table in the Roosevelt Room, Obama hammered the Republicans about reopening the government, demanding repeatedly to know “what is it going to take” to get it done. A frustrated (Paul) Ryan finally stood up and urged them to come together and craft something lasting.

But what senior administration officials aides heard was a Freudian slip. “We’re going to have six weeks to negotiate the debt limit,” Ryan said.

Nobody challenged him, but White House aides mentally filed it away.
    http://www.politico.com/story/2013/1...own-98518.html

Unsurprising bullet points:
    Conservatives truly believed Democrats would easily fold.
    Tea Party felt Obama was on the ropes and ripe for taking down before the shutdown.
    Biden, under vehement direction from Reid, refused to get involved.
    No less then 3 GOP politicians chewed out Ted Cruz to his face.
    Politicians are being sincere in their praise of Susan Collins, she worked her ass off for weeks, even after having her proposals crash and burn.
    Pelosi repeatedly offered to bail Boehner out with Democratic support.

Theres more in there. Again, enjoyable insightful(though not shocking) for those that enjoy this sort of thing.
    Quote Quote  

6. -96
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    “The president gets up every day and reads the newspaper and thanks God that Ted Cruz is in the United States Senate,” a Republican senator pointedly told Cruz at a closed-door meeting.
    At one point, Cruz told GOP senators that they should force votes on bills to fund individual agencies and programs, like on veterans issues.

But McConnell bluntly told Cruz that Republicans had no procedural way of doing that. In fact, he asked Laura Dove, McConnell’s chief floor expert, to explain to Cruz how Republicans were prohibited from taking such a parliamentary tactic.
    I think these two quotes are interesting. It shows that there is a budding divide between the far right and the moderate right. I think the 2014 mid-terms are going to tell us a lot about the status of the GoP. I'm particularly interested in how many tea party candidates challenge moderate Republicans. I'm even more interested in what that does to the GoP internally if it's a high number. Luckily for the GoP, I think Ted Cruz is going to be the last of his kind for a while. Once he does irreparable damage to their 2016 chances, no more Bachmans, Palins, or Cruzs are going to get much mainstream attention...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

7. -97
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    I think these two quotes are interesting. It shows that there is a budding divide between the far right and the moderate right. I think the 2014 mid-terms are going to tell us a lot about the status of the GoP. I'm particularly interested in how many tea party candidates challenge moderate Republicans. I'm even more interested in what that does to the GoP internally if it's a high number. Luckily for the GoP, I think Ted Cruz is going to be the last of his kind for a while. Once he does irreparable damage to their 2016 chances, no more Bachmans, Palins, or Cruzs are going to get much mainstream attention...
    You know, the sad thing is that regardless of which party is in power, you only hear about the real *******s. I agree with Cruz ideologically on a lot of things, particularly the economy, spending, and the budget. However, you do not shut down the entire freakin country to get your way. Bad move!

Quote Quote  

8. -98
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think your right it will be very interesting. And the interesting part for me will be to see to what extent the American people are effected by Obamascare. At the rate it's going and with the evidence of the past few years at this administrations pitiful attempts at dealing with most anything, along with a total lack of accountability, you just might see at the next election a nation of pissed off citizen who agree with Cruz that Government is to big, spending is out of hand, and we are being taxed to much... and Obamacare (1/6 our economy) could be hazardest to hundreds of thousands of Americans health (and pocketbook) and security of our nation....
    A government run this inefficient gives some level of reason to shutting it down.... Being unthinkable to those directly effected, while the continuation of Government is causing great hardship to hundreds of thousands of Americans who just lost their healthcare that they were promised they could keep...

"Foward"
    " How can I go forward when I don't know which way I'm facing" ..... John Lennon
    Quote Quote  

9. -99
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cuzinvinny View Post
    I think your right it will be very interesting. And the interesting part for me will be to see to what extent the American people are effected by Obamascare. At the rate it's going and with the evidence of the past few years at this administrations pitiful attempts at dealing with most anything, along with a total lack of accountability, you just might see at the next election a nation of pissed off citizen who agree with Cruz that Government is to big, spending is out of hand, and we are being taxed to much... and Obamacare (1/6 our economy) could be hazardest to hundreds of thousands of Americans health (and pocketbook) and security of our nation....
    A government run this inefficient gives some level of reason to shutting it down.... Being unthinkable to those directly effected, while the continuation of Government is causing great hardship to hundreds of thousands of Americans who just lost their healthcare that they were promised they could keep...

"Foward"
    " How can I go forward when I don't know which way I'm facing" ..... John Lennon
    There is never a good reason to shut down the government. Ever. All it does is hurt the constituents, which is the people these moron Tea Party asshats are supposed to be representing. And if you think Ted Cruz is a legitimate candidate in 2016, it just goes to show how out of touch the far right really is. It's OK to have a favorite candidate and all, but show some godamn objectivity...
    Quote Quote  

10. -100
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    There is never a good reason to shut down the government. Ever. All it does is hurt the constituents, which is the people these moron Tea Party asshats are supposed to be representing. And if you think Ted Cruz is a legitimate candidate in 2016, it just goes to show how out of touch the far right really is. It's OK to have a favorite candidate and all, but show some godamn objectivity...
    Im not sure how Cruz can even be considered a legitimate candidate. Im not sure how he can convince himself hes a viable candidate.

This thread, and others, go over why the American public is utterly disgusted by Republicans in general and the Tea Party specifically, so i wont bother listing the reasons why he wont appeal to the public at large. I'll just point out a simple fact: his base has spent the last 5 years cultivating and feeding the myth that "Obama wasnt born in America", so how in gods name does Cruz think they will voluntarily vote in a Canadian?
    Its going to be damned amusing when his base viciously turns on him.
    Quote Quote