Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: House votes to derail Obamacare

1. -31
    FinHeaven's Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Carolinia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91PS4 Controller2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Link...?
    I tried to find it but couldn't.

There's an interview with this guy somewhere.

Seriously though, $11,000 a year is absolutely outrageous for insurance that doesn't include a damn thing but ****ed up government healthcare.

Deshaun Watson is the TRUTH!
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    yeah a guy on the local news here said he ended up with a plan that has a $6200 deductible.
    #freespesh

Quote Quote  

3. -33
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well, some good news:

A bill that provides back pay for furloughed Federal workers during the government shutdown unanimously passed the House during a rare Saturday session on Capitol Hill.

Some 800,000 federal workers have been stuck at home without pay since October 1 when Congress failed to pass a budget for the new fiscal year.

On Friday, the White House said the president would sign the measure.

House Speaker John Boehner and GOP House leadership held the vote as part of a strategy to pass piecemeal spending legislation that addressed the issues brought up by the government shutdown.

Although Democrats oppose the incremental approach, saying it amounts to conservatives choosing to fund programs and services they like, the bill passed with strong bipartisan support.

Retroactive pay is guaranteed under the bill, but federal workers can't expect their paychecks until after the government shutdown ends and Congress reaches a resolution on the budget.
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...kers-back-pay/

Not unexpected, but its one of the things that gets overlooked: that Congress has to actually agree to back pay, its not an automatic thing once a shutdown ends.
    "Ignorance is not an excuse" were the words Goodell used when describing why those involved in the Saints bounty scandal would not avoid punishment.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ons-unanswered

#freespesh. Because HIPAA
    http://www.finheaven.com/showthread....e-Recap-Thread
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Too bad you can't go back and retroactively give assistance to the children who've gone to bed without food for a few days. But, you know, **** them.

#freespesh
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Too bad you can't go back and retroactively give assistance to the children who've gone to bed without food for a few days. But, you know, **** them.
    To be fair, that might be doing the kids a favor. With the FDA shut down, those kids could be eating contaminated food and we'd never know. Thank god for the party of family values, making sure kids starve to prevent them from getting ill. Because after all, having Obamacare is vastly worse then starving to death.
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The e-mail showed up in my inbox from an Air Force tech sergeant asking I not use his name because he doesn’t have the military’s permission for what he’s done.

What he’s done is say to the politicians of all stripes: “I don’t want it.”

The young airman has begun a website for military members to donate their paychecks to help others during the government shutdown.

“I am very frustrated with the government shutdown, and its impact on the very people we are fighting for, and more specifically, our most vulnerable Americans. I was equally as frustrated to see Congress choose to fund my paycheck while my brothers and sisters go without. I don't want it,” he said

The site http://www.keepmypaycheck.org/ allows anyone, military, and civilians to donate money, or their pay as part of a message to Congress that the military doesn’t want special treatment, he said.

Congress approved pay for active duty troops even with the shutdown, but some 400,000 Defense Department civilians have been sent home with no pay.

The donations will go to Feeding America, one of the largest charities in the nation for helping feed those in need—some 25 million Americans a year.

“Service members fight to protect and promote a more perfect union; this isn't it. And until Congress restores funding, we will step in and donate our paychecks along with our lives to protect the country we love,” he said.

On the website which went active Thursday night he adds, “We serve our country out of a sense of duty. And we will share in our country's hardships. So until Congress chooses to restore funding for programs that allow the families we fight for to survive at home, we are donating our paychecks to the poorest among us, those most impacted by the shutdown.”

He hopes to raise $50,000.

Congress approved legislation earlier this week to ensure that troops would be paid during the shutdown.
    http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2013/1...rs-to-do-same/

Quote Quote  

7. -37
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phinatic8u View Post
    Apprantely some dude in California got obamacare insurance and is paying 11k a year, and apprantely he's really happy about it

dumbass
    He is a dumbass? Why? Maybe he couldn't get insurance before because it was even more.
    Here in Florida for a small business group policy you pay about $600 per person/month. (depending on age/coverage/deductable etc). That alone is is $7200/year per person. As an individual with an individual policy you pay almost double for equal coverage.
    In California the prices may be even higher.

Before you laugh and call people dumbasses you may want to research what the price was before.

One thing I do realize is that people with insurance coverage from employers don't even realize how much it actually cost to give people insurance.

Now the above coverage for a middle age person is $750/month (real numbers). No dental. No life. Small business group policy. The deductible is $1500 per year/per person.
    If you add this all up the employer pays $9000 just in premium. Since I can't let employees hang dry with the deductible I pay that ($1,500) into a health savings account. That's $10,500/year/person on a group policy (no dental, no life). So yeah, $11,000 individual insurance sounds pretty cheap to me.

Oh yeah, before I forget: pretty much everybody has also wives and children on their policy. Just for two people my cost run about $21,000 per employee. So before you laugh again at others while enjoying free or subsidized insurance from your employer you should think again.

BTW, this insurance is pre ACA aka Obamacare.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You may think that you are some kind of god to these people. But we both know what you really are."
    "What's that? A criminal?"
    "Worse. A politician."
    Source: Under The Dome
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    What children have gone to bed without food? I'm not sure I follow.
    Quote Quote  

9. -39
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    What children have gone to bed without food? I'm not sure I follow.
    Though many of the programs that provide assistance to needy families and individuals like food stamps, Medicaid, and Medicare will continue running during the shutdown, the Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) is barely holding on.

The nearly $7 billion dollar program that provides access to food, formula, nutritional education, breast-feeding support, and health-care referrals to 9 million poor mothers, babies, and children is having to rely on $125 million in contingency funds from the USDA to continue operating throughout the month.

In Utah, clinics had already closed their doors and stopped enrolling new participants before receiving the emergency funds from the USDA, which amount to $2.5 million, according to the Utah Department of Health. The program serves about 66,000 moms, babies, and kids in the state.
    http://swampland.time.com/2013/10/04...#ixzz2guczFqCW

I thought WIC had been completely shut down but I was wrong about that. Thankfully the USDA stepped in. However it seems in Utah, at least, many were affected.
    Quote Quote  

10. -40
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The Obama administration says a U.S. default would be "catastrophic." Economists say it could plunge the country into recession and prompt a global financial meltdown.

To many Republicans, however, the prospect of the world's lone superpower juggling its bills doesn't seem so bad. The government could muddle through without a debt-ceiling increase as long as it kept up with interest payments and a few other priorities, they argue.

"We are not going to default on the public debt. That doesn't mean that we have to pay every bill the day it comes in," Republican Representative Joe Barton of Texas said on CNBC on Monday.

Barton's position could reflect a genuine disagreement with warnings by Wall Street and Washington analysts or he could be downplaying the default to gain tactical advantage in negotiations with President Barack Obama. But Barton isn't an outlier.

Nearly every Republican in the House of Representatives voted for a bill in May that would direct the Treasury Department to prioritize bond payments and Social Security retiree benefits over other obligations if Congress failed to extend its borrowing authority. In the Senate, 29 of the chamber's 44 Republicans have signed on to the idea.

Republicans say that approach would minimize the fallout if Congress fails to raise the debt ceiling before the Treasury Department exhausts its borrowing authority on October 17.

Past and present Treasury officials and Wall Street analysts reject that view out of hand as naive at best...

"It's mind-boggling. I don't know what to say," said Tony Fratto, a Republican and a former Treasury Department official under President George W. Bush. "Every member of Congress should know this. These aren't complicated concepts."
    http://news.yahoo.com/analysis-defau...-business.html

Quote Quote