Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: House votes to derail Obamacare

1. -71
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...m_politics_pop

You almost have to feel sorry for Boehner...you know, if you didnt realize that he was part of the problem.
    Boehner put himself in bed with the tea party earlier using them as 'attack hounds' against Obama now he has to put out and get ****ed.
    It's OK Boehner. It may hurt the first time but you get used to it.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You may think that you are some kind of god to these people. But we both know what you really are."
    "What's that? A criminal?"
    "Worse. A politician."
    Source: Under The Dome
    Quote Quote  

2. -72
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boca Raton
    Thanks / No Thanks
    What a big waste of time and money...The teabags are a complete fail.

I guess a default date makes the GOP big wigs ignore the teabags...
    Quote Quote  

3. -73
    8/31/14 Never Forget

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    South Dakota’s Republican representative Kristi Noem has a problem.

In early October, a blizzard roared through the Black Hills of western South Dakota, burying tens of thousands of cattle under several feet of snow and leaving South Dakota’s $7 billion cattle industry reeling.

The storm, nicknamed Atlas, began with heavy rain that soaked the livestock before the rain turned into a snowy blizzard with hurricane-force gusts that dumped up to five feet of snow on the cattle, freezing them to death as their hooves became stuck in the mud, keeping them from returning to their ranch homes. Atlas was particularly devastating because it arrived before the cattle had grown their winter coats and before ranchers had herded them to low-lying, tree-lined pastures that provide shelter from the harsh South Dakota winter.

Normally, cattle ranchers would go to the local office of the USDA Farm Service Agency to file claims for their losses. They generally have 30 days to apply.

Now, however, those farm offices are closed because of the government shut down. When offices are closed, claims can’t be filed. And if claims can’t be filed, assistance can’t be paid.

But, closed farm offices and dead cows aren’t Noem’s only problem; in fact, they’re not even her biggest problem.

Her biggest problem may be convincing her fellow Republicans that support for South Dakota ranchers is an exception to the rule that the federal government is spending too much of the American taxpayers’ hard-earned money...

In many ways, Noem has brought this problem upon herself. She’s part of the group of House Republicans who in September refused to fund the federal government unless the Democrats agreed either to defund or to delay implementation of the Affordable Care Act.

Without that agreement, the federal government essentially shut down on October 1.

Days later, the blizzard hit South Dakota.

Now, Noem would like the federal government to increase its spending...

While South Dakota’s ranchers are facing a terrible disaster, they aren’t the only ones to suffer from weather-related damage. Natural disasters hit the United States all the time, whether it’s hurricanes in the Gulf states, widespread droughts in the Midwest, tornadoes in the panhandle states, or “super” storms like Sandy that ravaged the East coast a year ago.

That’s why the federal government provides emergency assistance through the Federal Emergency Management Act and ongoing assistance through programs like those in the farm bill.

Noem voted against federal assistance for victims of super storm Sandy in New York and New Jersey.

Nevertheless, she’s at the front of the line asking the federal government for money to help victims of South Dakota’s early-October blizzard.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...kota-blizzard/

Yup, sounds about right. Reminds me of that Congressman who raged at a Park Ranger for shutting down the parks after the shut down began.

When you shut down the government, things the government fund actually shut down. One would think that statement is common sense, but there seems to be a bit of confusion on the matter.
    "I'm not here to be a distraction," Pouncey said.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ogical-testing
    Quote Quote  

4. -74
    8/31/14 Never Forget

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    In the best of workable scenarios, the United States Congress might now solve the current crisis by scheduling another one.

Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Republican Minority Leader Mitch McConnell were putting the finishing touches on Wednesday morning on a framework to reopen the government and avert a potentially cataclysmic default on American debt payments.

The contours of the still-very-much-in-the-works arrangement included launching broad negotiations on the government’s gloomy finances, with delegates from the House and Senate reporting back on Dec. 13.

The government would get enough cash to stay open until Jan. 15. And the debt ceiling would be raised enough to last through Feb. 7. Republicans would get a fig leaf to make the deal more palatable to irate GOP voters: Somewhat tighter controls on income verification for Americans seeking subsidies to buy health insurance under the law popularly known as Obamacare.
    http://news.yahoo.com/compromise-or-...150123572.html

They are announcing the deal now, caught the last part of McConnell's speech, apparently Reid already talked it up(glad i missed that). Ted Cruz is raging about this, but hes swears hes not going to block it.

Up to the House to pass it. So...50/50?

Had a laugh at the promise to pass a long term agreement.
    Quote Quote  

5. -75
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    http://news.yahoo.com/compromise-or-...150123572.html

They are announcing the deal now, caught the last part of McConnell's speech, apparently Reid already talked it up(glad i missed that). Ted Cruz is raging about this, but hes swears hes not going to block it.

Up to the House to pass it. So...50/50?

Had a laugh at the promise to pass a long term agreement.
    Ted Cruz is going to hand 2014 and 2016 to the Democrats. I'm reading articles about his colleagues being irate with him. He is Sarah Palin with a penis. The guy has absolutely no idea how much damage he is doing to his party...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

6. -76
    8/31/14 Never Forget

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Ted Cruz is going to hand 2014 and 2016 to the Democrats. I'm reading articles about his colleagues being irate with him. He is Sarah Palin with a penis. The guy has absolutely no idea how much damage he is doing to his party...
    As im sure everyone has heard by now: Boehner and the GOP have caved, they expect the government to re-open by Friday at the latest.

Anyways, as far as your post goes: unfortunately the House is pretty safe for 2014. Redistricting has them pretty secure. In fact, theres a possibility we have even more Tea Party members in Congress next year.

As for 2016...your right, Republicans probably just lost that election. If Democrats throw up even a semi-competent candidate they will waltz in. Joe Biden could probably win. God help the right if Hillary runs, who ( her existing popularity aside) undoubtedly just became the most popular politician in America.
    This was an unmitigated failure for Republicans. Polling done has universally shown them ripped apart. Congress is at 10% approval rating, over 60% polled blamed Republicans for the shutdown, and 70% polled said they felt Republicans were playing a political game at the expense of the American public. And all of their games led to nothing. They didnt receive a damn thing. Any attempt to try this again in a couple months will make them look worse. Like everyone predicted, the GOP image has been damaged.

People have been suggesting the Republican party has been hurt so bad that all of this could help them. The Tea Party is, correctly, being blamed and this could kick off an effort for conservatives to rid themselves of the crazies. The public is sure as hell ready. But i dont buy it. Multiple Tea Party organizations have already declared they will keep fighting this. Heritage Foundation has declared they will be keeping count of the vote tonight to see who they can run against next year. They are pissed the establishment has caved. I dont see them backing down and with campaign laws being what they are they will remain dangerous. The primary fights are only going to get nastier.

The articles you read on Cruz are right. Conservatives are enraged at him. I just heard a report about his colleagues being so frustrated they are throwing profanity at him. They are concerned about their own asses and Cruz just made it that much more difficult. The funny thing is Cruz just sidestepped a lot of responsibility for this thing. In his mind he just came out a huge winner. He has become a household name, he is considered principled by his backers, and the money is only going to keep coming in for his 2016 Presidential bid. He started this fire and, by refusing to filibuster the coming vote, left Boehner and other House members holding the matches.

Normally id be more reserved about this sort of thing. Scandals inevitably pop up, our citizens generally like to switch off parties, and the public's collective memory for these things is never inspiring. But all i see are problems for the right in coming years. Problems the public is only growing increasingly sick of. Conservatives better hope Obamacare is the nightmare they have been claiming it will be.
    Quote Quote  

7. -77
    8/31/14 Never Forget

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Heres some reactions to the past day. Some were made before the senate agreement...though everyone knew the writing was on the wall then.

Politico called Boehner's efforts a "disaster."

The Washington Post described it as a "humiliating failure," and said Boehner and his leadership colleagues had " lost all control of their majority."

An editorial from the arch-conservative Wall Street Journal board fumed about the GOP strategy, saying that the House caucus "might as well hand the Speaker's gavel to Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid" and urging Republicans to give up their fight.

Things were not much better on the morning shows.

"After a shutdown that lasted 16 days, a shutdown led by House Republicans...by the end of today, those Republicans may leave with little to nothing to show for it," NBC's Peter Alexander said.

"House Republicans are the clear losers," was how ABC's Jon Karl put it. "They pushed to the brink and have nothing to show for it."
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4107106.html

Some of Rush Limbaugh's thoughts about the GOP's surrender on the shutdown and the debt ceiling:

"I was trying to think if ever in my life, I could remember any major political party being so irrelevant. I have never seen it. I have never seen a major political party simply occupy placeholders, as the Republican party has been doing. There has not been any serious opposition...against what's happening in this country. The Republicans have done everything they can to try to make everyone like them and what they've ended up doing is creating one of the greatest political disasters I've ever seen in my lifetime...I was pondering if I could ever remember...a time when a political party just made a decision not to exist, for all intents and purposes."
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...tml?ref=topbar
    Quote Quote  

8. -78
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Boehner is Obama's twerking whore.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

9. -79
    8/31/14 Never Forget

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The articles you read on Cruz are right. Conservatives are enraged at him. I just heard a report about his colleagues being so frustrated they are throwing profanity at him. They are concerned about their own asses and Cruz just made it that much more difficult. The funny thing is Cruz just sidestepped a lot of responsibility for this thing. In his mind he just came out a huge winner. He has become a household name, he is considered principled by his backers, and the money is only going to keep coming in for his 2016 Presidential bid. He started this fire and, by refusing to filibuster the coming vote, left Boehner and other House members holding the matches.
    Yeah, so, the "bright side" of all the ways the shutdown cost normal human Americans is that Ted Cruz managed to build up his fundraising lists, so hooray!

The windfall hardly stops there. The Atlantic's Philip Bump noted that Ted Cruz's 21-hour speech in the Senate ahead of the shutdown helped his "still-young political action committee [pull] in $797,000 during the period that included his extended C-SPAN advertorial." Give Cruz some credit -- he made the effort and it paid off.

But lest you think that Cruz's windfall accrued in similar fashion to his ideological pals, consider the total bummer experience of Utah Senator Mike Lee, who's played the Grover Dill to Cruz's Scut Farkus during all of this shutdown hullabaloo. According to Bump, Lee's PAC only managed to rake in $525 in September.

Bump was later contacted by Cruz's super-empathetic state director, who wanted to clarify that if you combine all of the senator's various funding streams, the total yield was "$1.19 million from 12,000 individual donors."

At any rate, never let it be said that a government shutdown can't be a boon for one's wallet, it just probably won't be a boon for yours.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4110836.html
    Quote Quote  

10. -80
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The fact of the matter is that the House Republicans were bluffing and Obama and Reid were more than willing to default if they didn't get their way. Either way, the Republicans were going to get massacred by the media and might as well have just shut up and prepared for the midterm elections. This all but ensures another Democratic super-majority for Obama's last two years just like his first two. We got Obamacare the last go around and I have a bad feeling that will be child's play compared to the communist **** they have in store for us next time. The Republicans were thoroughly over matched, not in ideology but definitely in strategy, marketing, and media relations. Checkmate Obama! God help us.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote