Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Geno Smith and pocket awareness

1. -31
    Sopwith Camel Pilot

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Aviano, Italy
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm not sure what I am missing with Geno Smith because I see a guy without a very high ceiling. He makes some nice throws but so did a lot of QBs that don't make it in the NFL. It surprises me that at this level he throws so much off his back foot and is often unbalanced in his delivery. His awareness is horrible, he holds the ball way to long and at times looks like he is shotputing the football downfield.

Questions surround his work ethic as well. You only need to research his interview process to see the warning flags. His handling of his decline in draft position is another indicator of his over valuing his ability. He's an upgrade to buttfumble but is more likely to waste 2-3 years of the Jets time.

Could he develop into a decent QB? Sure. But in my opinion your looking at a guy that is no better then Terrele Pryor and has a limited ceiling.
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Why did it have to be snakes?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog 88 View Post
    I'm not sure what I am missing with Geno Smith because I see a guy without a very high ceiling. He makes some nice throws but so did a lot of QBs that don't make it in the NFL. It surprises me that at this level he throws so much off his back foot and is often unbalanced in his delivery. His awareness is horrible, he holds the ball way to long and at times looks like he is shotputing the football downfield.

Questions surround his work ethic as well. You only need to research his interview process to see the warning flags. His handling of his decline in draft position is another indicator of his over valuing his ability. He's an upgrade to buttfumble but is more likely to waste 2-3 years of the Jets time.

Could he develop into a decent QB? Sure. But in my opinion your looking at a guy that is no better then Terrele Pryor and has a limited ceiling.

Pretty much. To be honest, I kinda think Geno's ceiling is lower than Mark buttfumble's. When buttfumble is hot, he is pretty good.

With Geno, what I see is a guy with very questionable decision making and a lot of bad throws who isn't really a dynamic player at all. It's funny that you point out Pryor because I agree, he's a far more intriguing QB, and I was thinking that tonight watching the game.

My big question with Geno is, what exactly does he bring to the table? He can make some nice throws? Just about every NFL QB, including Blaine ****ing Gabbert, can make some nice throws.
    I'm here to tell the truth about top secret Air Force project BAR STOOL. Gamma ray radiation from the particle accelerator under Joe Robbie Stadium is real! Get out while you can! This bad football team is just a front for something far more sinister!
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by -=DolfanDave=- View Post
    according to what Jests fan are used to at the QB position, Geno is marvelous
    This coming from a Dolfan? Seriously?

Since the Jay Fiedler years, you guys have had AJ Feeley, Gus Frerotte, Sage Rosenfel, Joey Harrington, Cleo Lemon, Daunte Culpepper, Pat White, John Beck, Chad Pennington, Chad Henne, Matt Moore, and finally RT. That is a pretty pathetic portfolio with maybe a couple of decent guys, namely the Jets trash.
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Sopwith Camel Pilot

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Aviano, Italy
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J. David Wannyheimer View Post
    Pretty much. To be honest, I kinda think Geno's ceiling is lower than Mark buttfumble's. When buttfumble is hot, he is pretty good.

With Geno, what I see is a guy with very questionable decision making and a lot of bad throws who isn't really a dynamic player at all. It's funny that you point out Pryor because I agree, he's a far more intriguing QB, and I was thinking that tonight watching the game.

My big question with Geno is, what exactly does he bring to the table? He can make some nice throws? Just about every NFL QB, including Blaine ****ing Gabbert, can make some nice throws.
    I view him as an upgrade only because buttfumble has lost his confidence in himself and that is not an issue with Smith. buttfumble has shown that he is capable of functioning as a game manager. Once the confidence was gone the foolish turnovers increased ten fold. buttfumble was ata point where he was far more damaging then beneficial to the Jets. Geno hasn't had that much time to prove whether or not the same holds true for him.
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    Sopwith Camel Pilot

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Aviano, Italy
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JETSJETSJETS View Post

Since the Jay Fiedler years, you guys have had AJ Feeley, Gus Frerotte, Sage Rosenfel, Joey Harrington, Cleo Lemon, Daunte Culpepper, Pat White, John Beck, Chad Pennington, Chad Henne, Matt Moore, and finally RT. That is a pretty pathetic portfolio with maybe a couple of decent guys, namely the Jets trash.
    And what exactly have the Jets had? Pennington was nice but he never went deep in the playoffs. buttfumble was a game manager that has eroded over the last 2 seasons. You had a healthy Favre for 9 games but couldn't make the playoffs with him. Amazing you'd call out that post when neither team has had much to brag about this century.
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    Average Fan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JETSJETSJETS View Post

I believe you missed a few...our QB situation has been bottom of the barrel. Right now RT17 is restoring hope. I dont get the same feeling watching Geno as I did with RT last year.
    Quote Quote  

7. -37
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsfan89 View Post
    Agreed.

Fact that he is better then buttfumble is huge. Even if Geno is the 21st or 22nd best QB in the league our team will be better by a large margin. We've had one of the bottom 3 QB's in the league for a long time. Geno just being decent makes us a lot better as a team. Biggest thing is he needs to stop turning the ball over.
    Bottom 3 QB? How can you say that when Junctions feels the complete opposite?
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    One of 16 Vestal Virgins

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    leaving for the coast
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Generally decent rookie showing by Geno... and quantum leaps above the shell that's best known for propelling his head into his beloved lineman's butt.

However, before anyone gets too carried away, as a poster on BuffaloRange pointed out, due to existing and game injuries, much of the defensive backfield defending against him were 2nd stringers -with no Byrd, McKelvin (out early 1st half) , Gilmore, or Brooks (FWIW the explosive Spiller left early in the 2nd half also). So it's probably prudent for objective yet hopeful jestfans to temper their enthusiasm with the reality that Geno was throwing against mostly replacements in the defensive backfield.

Also in perspective: beyond that, realistically how many decent opponents are gonna come out on the short end when playing teams that commit 20 penalties/168yards?
    Last edited by Vaark; 09-24-2013 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Quote  

9. -39
    Sopwith Camel Pilot

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Aviano, Italy
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
    Generally decent rookie showing by Geno... and quantum leaps above the shell that's best known for propelling his head into his beloved lineman's butt.

However, before anyone gets too carried away, as a poster on BuffaloRange pointed out, due to existing and game injuries, he was much of the defensive backfield defending against him were 2nd stringers -with no Byrd, McKelvin (out early 1st half) , Gilmore, or Brooks (FWIW the explosive Spiller left early in the 2nd half also). So it's probably prudent for objective yet hopeful jestfans to temper their enthusiasm with the reality that Geno was throwing against mostly replacements in the defensive backfield.

Also in perspective: beyond that, realistically how many decent opponents are gonna come out on the short end when playing teams that commit 20 penalties/168yards?
    I'm sure you realize that with the big win over the Bills, TGG believes they are in position to make a playoff run.
    Quote Quote  

10. -40
    Why did it have to be snakes?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post

However, before anyone gets too carried away, as a poster on BuffaloRange pointed out, due to existing and game injuries, much of the defensive backfield defending against him were 2nd stringers -with no Byrd, McKelvin (out early 1st half) , Gilmore, or Brooks (FWIW the explosive Spiller left early in the 2nd half also). So it's probably prudent for objective yet hopeful jestfans to temper their enthusiasm with the reality that Geno was throwing against mostly replacements in the defensive backfield.

I will be watching the Buffalo game this week.

All I can say is, watch the games. Geno got one touchdown early vs the Bucs on a totally blown coverage where there was nobody within twenty yards of his receiver, and otherwise looked like crap. Sure it's his first start, but he still looked like crap.

The big thing with Geno is, I really just don't think he has a particularly good arm. That would be my biggest concern with him -- he can get better at reading defenses and I'm sure that with experience he will get better at feeling the pocket -- but he isn't going to throw anyone open. In that Patriots game, he had some throws where he made the right read and still got picked because he served up a duck. I can't believe I still see comments on Gang Green like "he has a live arm." Mark buttfumble has a much better arm than Geno Smith, IMO.
    Quote Quote