Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: youth sports injurys

1. -1
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo

youth sports injurys

yesterday i had a very unplesent experience. My aunt and uncle are away on holiday, I said I would drive my little cousin to rugby and bring him home afterwards.

5 mins into the game and my cousin is in the middle of the field crying and an ambulance has to be called. Turns out he has 4 broken bones in his wrist and they had to put a pin into his bones this morning.

after a night in hospital and a morning in surgery.... I have decided that if I ever have kids they arent playing contact sports, it simply isnt happening. The fact his parents arent even in he country hasnt helped me feel better about all this!

Have many of you guys been through this unplesent experience? Its very tough to watch and he isnt even my kid.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Ya I always wanted a boy to play baseball and football. But I was blessed with 2 girls and the oldest who is 6 wants to compete with horses. Not much of a contact sport but it's always running through my mind that she could fall off. She doesn't compete yet just training with a coach. But I understand what you saying. Hope your cousin is doing ok and recovers quickly.

Avatar & Sig pic by: DisturbedShifty
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Shoulda' told him to rub some dirt on it, and walk it off.

Seriously though, sucks for your cousin. However, injuries are unfortunately a part of sports. **** happens.

Over the years, I've:
    - torn every ligament in both ankles. (left one twice)
    - developed Osgood-Schlatter's
    - suffered two concussions.
    - broken two fingers on my left hand.
    - endured more sprains than Cromartie has received paternity suits.
    - MULTIPLE lacerations, contusions, etc ... (cuts & scrapes of varying levels of severity)

You can't protect kids from everything. When you try, you just end up making them sissies. IDK, maybe I'm just part of the old school "warrior culture" ... but, that's how I see it.

I wouldn't trade my experiences in team/individual sports as a kid for anything. Bottom line - the positive aspects of becoming involved in sports FAR outweigh the negatives.
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1

"The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_dolfan View Post
    yesterday i had a very unplesent experience. My aunt and uncle are away on holiday, I said I would drive my little cousin to rugby and bring him home afterwards.

5 mins into the game and my cousin is in the middle of the field crying and an ambulance has to be called. Turns out he has 4 broken bones in his wrist and they had to put a pin into his bones this morning.

after a night in hospital and a morning in surgery.... I have decided that if I ever have kids they aren't playing contact sports, it simply isn't happening. The fact his parents arent even in he country hasnt helped me feel better about all this!

Have many of you guys been through this unpleasant experience? Its very tough to watch and he isnt even my kid.
    It doesn't matter if they play contact sports or not bro. My son is 15 and I have been to the ER several times with him. A few are sports related (football) but most are not. Once he put his foot through a plate glass 1/2" mirror, horrible cut.

If you have a kid and spend your time worrying about all the stuff you are trying to protect them from, you will find yourself in your house a lot secluded because by far the unsafest act you can ever do with your child is drive a car, period.

So saying you will never let them play contact sports might help a little to keep them safe but the sport itself is usually much safer than half the **** around you anyway.
    Peace and Humptiness Forever

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    Injuries happen to people who don't play sports. I got hurt playing basketball when I was 13 up at the local elementary school courts. The rims were 7 feet high and I went up to dunk and got fouled from behind. My momentum while hanging on the rim forced me to land head-first on the cement. I had a blood clot near by brain that I needed surgery for. I was out of school for at least a month and had 25 or so staples put into my head for a few weeks.

I've also sprained an ankle, dislocated a knuckle, broken all fingers except my thumbs. We have it easy vs. actual athletes for will suffer their entire lives.

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    broken bones or anything like that doesn't scare me or bother me. What worries me is reading too often about kids dying after getting hit w/ a baseball or in football. I've been lucky w/ my boy in that he hasn't had any serious injuries but he understands injuries are part of sports. I wouldn't want to drain his confidence by dwelling on injuries.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I havent, but when I was playing sports as a kid, I had and saw some pretty bad injuries.

If you dont have the stomach for it, then absolutely don't let your kids play sports.
    Its part of the deal. In my opinion it makes them better, tougher people and sets
    them up for success at life.

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    Shoulda' told him to rub some dirt on it, and walk it off.

Seriously though, sucks for your cousin. However, injuries are unfortunately a part of sports. **** happens.

Over the years, I've:
    - torn every ligament in both ankles. (left one twice)
    - developed Osgood-Schlatter's
    - suffered two concussions.
    - broken two fingers on my left hand.
    - endured more sprains than Cromartie has received paternity suits.
    - MULTIPLE lacerations, contusions, etc ... (cuts & scrapes of varying levels of severity)

You can't protect kids from everything. When you try, you just end up making them sissies. IDK, maybe I'm just part of the old school "warrior culture" ... but, that's how I see it.

I wouldn't trade my experiences in team/individual sports as a kid for anything. Bottom line - the positive aspects of becoming involved in sports FAR outweigh the negatives.
    Im 46 years old, and Ive suited up for every forced move team my shift has done in the prison for the last three years.
    When I stop being able to answer the bell, that will be the day that I have some hard choices to make about what my life
    has left to offer me. I played football band baseball since I could remember as a kid, and that was EVERY day damn near.
    Come home from school, play tackle football in a backyard. We would spend all day on weekends playing football or baseball.
    We boxed.....Then, I got into organized athletics. Wouldn't trade it for the world. I've had lots of uses of force at the prison
    and I bear the scars in terms of things that dont work right anymore.

I'm not crowing about how tough I am. Its just a matter of acceptance that if you choose a certain path, it's not if, but when
    you are going to get hurt.
    Quote Quote