Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Wallace's Career WITH and WITHOUT Ben Roethlisberger

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Interesting Mike Wallace's Career WITH and WITHOUT Ben Roethlisberger

One of my theories about Mike Wallace's performance this year is that he's been the beneficiary in the past of a quarterback with a unique ability to shed pass rushers and extend plays, and with the arm strength to hit receivers downfield who have broken coverage during that period.

Of course I'm talking about Ben Roethlisberger. "Big Ben" as they call him, because of his size (6'5" 241) and his unique abilities I described above.

I decided to put the theory to the test and compare Mike Wallace's performance in games with Roethlisberger, to his performance in games without Roethlisberger.

Here are the data for the games he's played in his career without Roethlisberger. I excluded his rookie season as a developmental year. "YPT" stands for "yards per target," which, similar to yards per rush, is a measure of receiving efficiency.

YEAR GAMES TARGETS CATCHES YARDS YPC TDs YPT
    2010 4 19 9 211 2
    2011 1 7 4 82 0
    2012 3 22 10 77 0
    2013 5 28 15 176 1
    TOTAL 13 76 38 546 14.37 3 7.18

Now of course Wallace has played far more games with Roethlisberger than without him, so to get an unbiased comparison, we need to divide his key statistics by the number of games he's played in both situations. Here's what we get:

TARGETS CATCHES YARDS YPC TDs YPT
    AVG WITHOUT Roethlisberger 5.85 2.92 42.00 14.37 0.23 7.18
    AVG WITH Roethlisberger 6.89 4.06 69.94 17.25 0.56 10.15

The above comparison projects to the following figures over 16 games:

With Roethlisberger: 65 catches, 1,119 yards, 17.3 yards per catch, 10.2 yards per target, 9 TDs

Without Roethlisberger: 47 catches, 672 yards, 14.4 yards per catch, 7.2 yards per target, 4 TDs

The latter of those sets of numbers is not unlike that posted by Ted Ginn when he was a starter for the Dolphins.

So, given the somewhat stark difference in the numbers I boldfaced above, we're left with one or both of two possible conclusions here, IMO: 1) a broader conclusion, that Wallace has benefitted from the presence of Ben Roethlisberger simply because Roethlisberger is a better quarterback in general than the ones Wallace has had in Roethlisberger's absence, and/or 2) a narrower conclusion, that, to perform as he has typically in his career, Wallace needs a quarterback with Roethlisberger's unique abilities, one who can extend plays and hit him downfield after he's broken coverage.
    Last edited by Shouright; 10-06-2013 at 10:26 PM.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Has he always had a problem with drops? Right now Brian Hartline looks better than Wallace.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nawledge View Post
    Has he always had a problem with drops? Right now Brian Hartline looks better than Wallace.
    There are no data available on drops that I'm aware of. Interesting question though.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He wasn't labeled one trick pony for nothing.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Why did it have to be snakes?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Nawledge View Post
    Not really. He did have small spike in 2012 and Steelers fans were pretty pissed at him, but it wasn't a huge issue and to be honest I don't expect it to be a huge issue going forward.
    I'm here to tell the truth about top secret Air Force project BAR STOOL. Gamma ray radiation from the particle accelerator under Joe Robbie Stadium is real! Get out while you can! This bad football team is just a front for something far more sinister!
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Living in western PA, I heard Steeler fans complain a lot about the drops in the last year or so, but I attribute a lot of that to jilted girlfriend syndrome when it became obvious he wasn't going to be with them in 2013. If they didn't like him, they wouldn't be so preoccupied with his departure.

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

So far as his not seeing the deep ball much in Miami, let me throw this out there: With the little time Tannehill has in the pocket, it doesn't give any receiver a great deal of time to get down field. That might explain a lot of it.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Keonxl View Post
    He wasn't labeled one trick pony for nothing.
    And it may be even worse than that. He may be nothing more than Ted Ginn without Ben Roethlisberger, a wildly inconsistent receiver who catches an occasionally perfectly-timed deep ball and is otherwise invisible.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Clearly overpaid...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins Homer2013 Dolphins LogoSnakes!Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    1st - Roethlisberger had been in the NFL for 5 year before Wallace was drafted by Pittsburgh and already had a plethora of experience. So yes, his career will look better at this point due to being with one of the better veteran QB's.

2nd - Drops have not always been an issue with Wallace....he has never been in the top ten from drop in his career.

3rd. - Why can'r a guy have a slight adjustment period....the plays he excels at are low percentage passes, take time to develop and work best with play-action....the latter two the dolphins are unable to do. If year two rolls around and Wallace is still not making an impact then I would be worried, but right now it is all about developing chemistry which can take longer for some players.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Or your data could be presented as "Is Ben Roethlisberger a better QB than Charlie Batch & Byron Leftwich?"

After all, ANY WR would probably have better numbers when playing with an established, elite, pro bowl QB like Ben Roethlisberger, versus a backup QB.

So your data could be presented this way:

Mike Wallace WITH an established, elite, pro bowl QB: 65 catches, 1,119 yards, 17.3 yards per catch, 10.2 yards per target, 9 TDs

Mike Wallace WITHOUT an established, elite, pro bowl QB: 47 catches, 672 yards, 14.4 yards per catch, 7.2 yards per target, 4 TDs
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Pianist

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Southern NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    he looks like dog sh*t to me, guy screwed us multiple times these last 2 weeks. 60mil jackass.
    Check out my band.
    Eternal Essence

Quote Quote