Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Prescription Drug Deaths Quadrupled between 99-2010

1. -1
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo

Prescription Drug Deaths Quadrupled between 99-2010

More people are dying in the US from prescription drugs than from heroin and cocaine combined, a new study says, signaling that pill abuse is not just the leading cause of drug overdose deaths, but that it also requires more oversight and training by both doctors and state health agencies.

Deaths involving prescription pills have quadrupled between 1999 and 2010, according to a report released Monday by Trust for America’s Health, a nonprofit organization in Washington that studies health policy. About 6.1 million people abuse prescription pills, and overdose deaths have at least doubled in 29 states, where they now exceed vehicle-related deaths. In 10 of those states, rates tripled; in four of them, they quadrupled.

“We’ve been struck how quickly this probably has emerged … it warrants a strong public health response,” says Andrea Gielen, director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Injury Research and Policy in Baltimore, who served as a consultant for the report. “We’re concerned about preventing misuse or overdoses, which are very real and heart-wrenching problems that have been skyrocketing recently.”

Prescription-drug overdose rates are highest in the poorest regions of the US: Appalachia and the Southwest. West Virginia has the highest rate, at 28.9 deaths per every 100,000 people – a 605 percent increase since 1999. Following close behind are New Mexico, Kentucky, Nevada, and Oklahoma.
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/0...aine-combined/
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins Homer1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    Over prescribing by doctors and abuse by people, not to mention kids getting into their parents medical cabinets. In today's world there are doctors that will prescribe you whatever you want, all you have to do is ask. Mix a few drinks with some of these pills and the odds of an od sky rocket
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Not true the FDA wouldn't allow such a thing.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-...ription-drugs/

Researchers find that nearly 70 percent of Americans are on at least one prescription drug, and more than half receive at least two prescriptions, reports CBS Atlanta.

Researchers from the Mayo Clinic, a non-profit medical and research center, report that antibiotics, antidepressants and painkiller opioids are the most common prescriptions given to Americans.

Twenty percent of U.S. patients were also found to be on five or more prescription medications.
    If doctors and patients used prescription drugs more wisely, they could save the U.S. health care system at least $213 billion a year, by reducing medication overuse, underuse and other flaws in care that cause complications and longer, more-expensive treatments, researchers conclude.
    7 out of 10 of us are now on a prescription medication seems seriously out of whack. And I'm in no way anti-medicine as one of the 7 out of 10 with a "chronic condition" prescription for grand mal seizure epilepsy.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eshlemon View Post
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-...ription-drugs/

7 out of 10 of us are now on a prescription medication seems seriously out of whack. And I'm in no way anti-medicine as one of the 7 out of 10 with a "chronic condition" prescription for grand mal seizure epilepsy.
    You may want to separate yourself from the 'regular' person. There are those who really need medication (like you) but the majority does not need all these drugs. I am always shocked how many drugs my friends and family members take. Mostly for stupid stuff like cholesterol and blood pressure which would be resolved without drugs if they all would lose some weight.
    Then you have a variety of anti-depressent drugs which I can not understand that 90% of people I know need an anti-depressent. And just because you couldn't sleep a couple nights doesn't mean you have to run to a doctor for sleep-help drugs and then run back to the doctor because you are tired all day and you need something to bring you back up.

My personal favorite is: two of my good friends are huge. They used to be slim. Their medicine cabinet is full with medications most of them counter-acting another drug. And my favorites: pain killers for back pain and knee problems. Sorry buddy I like you but every bone structure has a weight limit. Doing a diet and excercise would do you much better. He probably could toss out 95% of his medications.

Our system is set up where doctors are not to concerned anymore with patient care but rather look at easy money: here I give you a drug, come back next week....and for each 5 minutes he charges an hour office visit and gets a bonus from the drug company.

This system is so screwed up.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I just found out a few months ago that a guy I was friends with back in high school died several years ago from an overdose of prescription meds. He looked and talked sort of like Butthead, was a big fan of the band Korn and was the laziest football player I've ever seen. Another girl I knew in high school got hooked on meds and while didn't die she's turned from a 4.2 GPA Honor Student into a complete trainwreck of a human being. It's so bad I feel bad for still being friends with her on facebook because her rambling drug induced rants are like slowing down for a car accident. In her case though her big problem is unresolved daddy issues. Bigtime daddy issues. She just doesn't have the stability to deal with her issues without chemicals.

Another kid I didn't know from high school but who was the younger brother of someone I knew (if you're wondering, I did not go to a big high school, there were like 150 kids in my class) also died from prescription meds, and the owner of the clinic that hooked him and rode him out to his death was actually thrown in prison partly because they caught him on tape laughing about how pathetic the kid was (or some such, I forget the details).

Oh, and I almost forgot the woman down the street who died from an overdose of Oxy when I was in high school. She had a bad back that turned into a fouled up back operation that turned into addiction. The last time I saw her she had wrecked her car while spazzed out on Oxy out in front of our house. Plowed into a palm tree across the street, I think, but she had been playing bumper cars with stuff all down the street. The next I heard she was dead. I remember she had these three daughters, each one of whom would blossom into ****ing knockouts when they were like 16 but by the time they were 20 each turned into a toad, like their mother. The oldest girl was my age and I got in some good practice on her before she got around to the rest of the neighborhood and earned the nickname "Fingers."

Anyway, long story short I don't really know anyone who's died from an illegal drug overdose. Two family members and some friends of friends from college got hooked on cocaine but no one died. I also have an alcoholic family member (well she's pseudo family... it's a long story ). By comparison, prescription medication -- painkillers all around, btw -- has killed, well... several. And then there's the girl I dated after college who had been a severe alcoholic but had quit and then a year or so after we broke up she died of cardiac arrest at the age of like 26. I never got the full story on what happened to her, whether she had started drinking or using or some combination of the two.
    No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    I just found out a few months ago that a guy I was friends with back in high school died several years ago from an overdose of prescription meds. He looked and talked sort of like Butthead, was a big fan of the band Korn and was the laziest football player I've ever seen. Another girl I knew in high school got hooked on meds and while didn't die she's turned from a 4.2 GPA Honor Student into a complete trainwreck of a human being. It's so bad I feel bad for still being friends with her on facebook because her rambling drug induced rants are like slowing down for a car accident. In her case though her big problem is unresolved daddy issues. Bigtime daddy issues. She just doesn't have the stability to deal with her issues without chemicals.
    Did someone mention: Chick with daddy issues???

2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1

"The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Is it training camp yet?

Just because you don't agree with someone,
    does not give you the right to attack them.
    Quote Quote