Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marcus Mariota

1. -1
    Reading Is Fundamental

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West Palm Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo

Marcus Mariota

What's the general consensus from the gurus in here on the kid Mariota? He's got wheels, and TBH looks a lot better than Manziel, maybe it's the scheme, but he's destroying teams out their with his arm and legs.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    The Man - Formerly Grush

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Haven't watched him a ton yet but what I watched he actually sort of reminded me of Terrelle Pryor...strictly of how he moves around, very basic. I saw a lot of quick short routes in the game I watched, and he made a couple NFL throws and he's brought his completion percentage up. I can't offer that much yet tho, just my extremely small sample that I've watched.

Sign: Daryn Colledge
    Draft: 1. LB Ryan Shazier 2. OL Joel Bitonio 3. WR Donte Moncrief 4. OL Brandon Thomas 5. OT Laurent Duvernay Tardif 6. RB Bo Oliver 7. TBD

LT Albert LG Smith C Pouncey RG Colledge RT Bitonio
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Reading Is Fundamental

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West Palm Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grushcow View Post
    Haven't watched him a ton yet but what I watched he actually sort of reminded me of Terrelle Pryor...strictly of how he moves around, very basic. I saw a lot of quick short routes in the game I watched, and he made a couple NFL throws and he's brought his completion percentage up. I can't offer that much yet tho, just my extremely small sample that I've watched.
    Sweet when you get more info that'd be awesome. Everyone's talking about him being a 1st rd pickup, and I still think he's a better option than Manziel.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    it is what it is

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Justice League Watchtower
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I've watched a few Oregon games. I like Mariota... A decent analogy... Griffin's skill set with a Kaepernick like frame.
    Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers. - Voltaire

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mariota could add some weight (much thinner than you want a QB - especially one that wants to run as much as Mariota), but he has really nice physical tools.

Two things would cause me (not speaking for the Dolphins - but in general) be uneasy about drafting him high (top 15):

1. He's a mild-mannered guy. Shy. I know Oregon is a high-profile team these days, but most of the time, they're the far better team. Does he have the personality to lead a team through sustained adversity? Every QB has times in his career (usually early) when his team is stuck in neutral. Leading by example goes a long way, but is he the kind of guy who will hold his teammates accountable?

2. He's going to be playing a completely different game in the NFL. Even if the Eagles draft him, he's going to have to hold the ball more and go through reads in the NFL. Teams are going to make him a pocket passer, and they're not going to give him quick reads all day - like he gets in the Pac 12.

Usually, people think of the interview process being important for guys like Coples and Jenkins (problem kids), but I think it'll be as important for Mariota as anyone. Teams will want to see if he has the football IQ and the leadership qualities to play in the NFL, because you're making all kinds of projections with him.

I would not draft him ahead of Manziel; I would draft him ahead of Boyd and (probably) Hundley.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Reading Is Fundamental

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West Palm Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So would a good comparison be someone like Colt Brennan or Timmy Chang?
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    No, I don't like those comparisons. I think Mariota is a 1st RD player.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    St Helens, Or
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mariota gives you everything you could want except a killer streak. He's got skills to burn, but needs to learn to kick the opponent when he down. It's more than just running up a score.
    Failure isn't fatal. Failure to change might be. - John Wooden
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I really like Mariota and would take him before Manziel and Bridgewater. But there are probably five other teams needing a QB before we would get a shot at him. I haven't given up on Tanny but he would be good competition for him....
    Keep Devlin as our #3 QB and trade Matt Moore for a late pick.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Guy with the most upside. Game continues to get better. Don't be so sure just because he's in this style of offense in college that it won't work in the NFL. The kid can throw the ball really well, and I think with a year or two can translate just fine at the next level. You will see 3 QB's fly off the board in the top 5 picks and he will be one if he comes out.
    Quote Quote